Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ Transfer Plates Process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in NJ and I am taking delivery of my M3P on Wednesday. I plan on selling my old car to a dealership other than Tesla. However I just realized I chose to use and transfer the same plates from my old cad to my Tesla instead get new ones. I won’t be selling my car until after I get my Tesla. Will Tesla give me temporary tags and I work on transferring the plates at the DMV, or am I putting my old car’s plates right on my Tesla? I kinda need them on my old car still to drive it to sell it. If I take the plates off and put them right onto the Tesla, is it too late to just get new plates so I can keep the old ones on my car for now?

Tesla will provide a NJ temp tag good for 30 days. But you cannot legally drive with your old plates on the old car during the transfer period. Usually you will have to surrender your old registration card, but Tesla is lax about this. It will take about 30 days for Tesla to get the new registration card, and then you can remove the temp tag and start using the old plates on the Tesla.