Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AutoExpress speculates that Nissan could be readying itself to adopt Tesla Supercharger capabilities for its brand-new plugin, making use of the Tesla-designed Supercharger plug and socket rather than the CHAdeMO DC quick charge technology used in the current LEAF.

Is this your source? Nissan Leaf to get sharp new look and range boost | Auto Express
However, a more usable range and fresh styling can only go so far towards boosting the Leaf’s sales appeal; a much improved charging infrastructure will play a key role, too.

To that end, Tesla’s new range of Supercharger stations – promising 30-minute fast charges to all EVs – will help, as the network should have the majority of the UK covered by next year. Tesla boss Elon Musk has said he’ll let other manufacturers use it, so long as they keep charging free for their customers.

That seems like pretty rampant speculation on the author's part -- much more wishful thinking than actual insight from Nissan execs on what they plan to do.

(If you have a different/better source please let us know!)

Also, I think Elon said that companies can use Tesla's *patents* for free, not that they can use Tesla's existing Supercharger network for free. There's a big difference, and the author stated the latter when I think only the former has been announced... (please correct me if I'm wrong here)

Last edited:
AutoExpress speculates that Nissan could be readying itself to adopt Tesla Supercharger capabilities for its brand-new plugin, making use of the Tesla-designed Supercharger plug and socket rather than the CHAdeMO DC quick charge technology used in the current LEAF.

I would call that "wild speculation". I seriously doubt that will happen. Nissan is wedded to CHAdeMO.

Well, there no reason that a Supercharger plug can't be next to a CHAdeMO... with a J1772 adaptor for public AC charging. That would actually be quite desirable.
I hate to disagree with you here, but after using the superchargers on a 3k mile trip, the above scenario will not happen. It would be pure torture to be the one using the slower methods of charging, while watching Teslas come and go. After 120kw charging, even the 90kw superchargers seem slow. I can honestly say that CHAdeMO, and Frankenplug are toast if Tesla continues the supercharger deployment.

Agreed, and I believe 100% that Tesla should continue their Supercharger deployment. It's simply the best charging technology out there.

I hate to disagree with you here, but after using the superchargers on a 3k mile trip, the above scenario will not happen. It would be pure torture to be the one using the slower methods of charging, while watching Teslas come and go. After 120kw charging, even the 90kw superchargers seem slow. I can honestly say that CHAdeMO, and Frankenplug are toast if Tesla continues the supercharger deployment.

The problem today is that CHAdeMO is "in the towns" where electric vehicle charging is needed, and the Superchargers are "out there". That's reality today.

I don't care if you have 500kW if it's not physically where I need the service.

Nobody is arguing which equipment / protocol / user interface is better. Location, location, location.

Yes, if Nissan jumps on the Supercharger bandwagon, I think CHAdeMO will go downhill fast. Otherwise, expect 100kW CHAdeMO stations in the next 5-10 years.

Yes, the LEAF has its issues, range being the number one, but after re-watching Revenge of the Electric car - I have to say I love Carlos Ghosn mentality and what his done for the EV. I hope they really improve the second gen LEAF.

Talking about throwing everything into making the LEAF and the EV revolution:
I don't think frankly that we are betting anything, it's not a bet in the sense that we don't know the odds...because I'm very confident about what's coming. What I don't know is how fast it's going to come....No matter how much I am convinced that global warming is an issue or is not an issue, that's not the plan. The public is expecting this from us..it's expecting car manufactures to step up and present technology in order to respond to these concerns.

Last edited:
If the LEAF range is increased to the speculated 180 mile range then you shouldn't need in town charging, and you will need "out there" charging if you want to take advantage of the increased range for road trips.

All current LEAFs will drive about 80-ish miles of REAL WORLD range when at 62mph (100km) ground speed on a level, no wind, hard surface roadway with no heater and a new condition battery at 70F/20C or above temperature.

Here the LEAF official government rated range worldwide:

124 miles = 200km Japan "EPA" rating for 2011-2012
142 miles = 228km Japan "EPA" for 2013

109 miles = 175km UK / Euro 2011-2012
124 miles = 199km UK / Euro 2013-2014

Here the LEAF official government range:

73 miles = EPA-USA 2011-2012 (EPA LA4 "city cycle" @ 19.59mph average, minus 30%)
75 miles = EPA-USA 2013 (EPA "5 cycle", average of 66 EPA miles range for 80% and 84 EPA miles for 100%)
84 miles = EPA-USA 2014 (EPA "5 cycle" test, 100% charge only)

Nissan has thrown out numbers like a bingo parlor for some time. With the impending release of the 2013 LEAF, they were suggesting to the press that a 2013 LEAF might go 250km (155 miles). Of course, the press just laps that up, as do EV advocates and EV consumers sometimes!

The reality is that any current model year LEAF will drive about 80-ish miles of range autonomy at 100km (62mph) on a dry, level, hard surface road with no wind or climate control, and without cabin climate control. The most important detail is the battery must be in like like new condition at 70F / 20C temperature or higher.

How far that a 2017 or later may optionally and actually go is all just speculation.

80 ish miles sounds fine and dandy, but the real rub comes in the winter when an 80% charge barely gives you 35. The EPA needs to make the winter circuit figure the primary rating for EV's. It's a disservice to post unrealistic figures for range. My trip to the office doesn't get any shorter in the winter....but the range sure does.

I have got a Leaf and I am very impressed with it. Particularly as the price I paid was half list. This made it comparable or perhaps less than a similar sized ICE from Nissan. Obviously I would love to have a model S but I am just not in that financial situation. I drove the Leaf 400 miles home from the dealer without any problems using 50KW chademo chargers. Obviously longer trips are slower than using ICE but if you only have the Leaf or want to avoid the huge cost of UK gasoline then the Leaf is OK. Normal motoring is fine, my car only need charging twice a week. In the UK they give you a free home charger.

Martin

Can only pm once per hour. The demo acenta looks to have sold but is still on popup advert as I read your post. They have a 10 mile 2013 reg. acenta for 13.5k which seems cheap. Make sure it is not a Flex ie. battery paid for.

Rory
(assuming I'm not the only one that would be confused by this post)

Had to look Acenta up -- that's the mid-line trim level LEAF as it's sold in the UK. In the States, the trim levels are S, SV, and SL, as opposed to the UK trim names Visia, Acenta, and Tekna.

BTW Rory, in the future you could just wait an hour and then PM him. :wink: The PM limitations are loosened the more you participate/post in the forums, as well.