Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan LEAF Becomes First Electric Car To Hit 400,000 Sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
Nissan LEAF is the first EV in history hit 400,000 sales Nissan happily announced that the cumulative sales of the Nissan LEAF hit 400,000 since market introduction in December 2010. In terms of cumulative sales, LEAF is the best-selling model globally. The total mileage of LEAFs exceed 10 billion km (6 billion miles). According to Nissan’s...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/03/05/nissan-leaf-first-electric-car-400000-sales/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Nissan LEAF is the first EV in history hit 400,000 sales Nissan happily announced that the cumulative sales of the Nissan LEAF hit 400,000 since market introduction in December 2010. In terms of cumulative sales, LEAF is the best-selling model globally. The total mileage of LEAFs exceed 10 billion km (6 billion miles). According to Nissan’s...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/03/05/nissan-leaf-first-electric-car-400000-sales/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

And one of them to us. 3 plus years driving and not a single hiccup. Best car we have ever owned.

Danger: This real-life valid testimony will cause many of the more rabid Tesla supporters here to spontaneously combust.

Leaf and 3 coexisting peacefully!

Leaf has had a few recalls, but has been a rock solid commuter. The 3 has also been trouble free since Oct. There was that suicidal deer incident, but you can't really fault the car or company for that unless you're a short seller.

On the performance and features side of the equation, however, there's no comparison!

IMG_20190305_205029.jpg

Last edited:
Yawn.

Nissan has been reduced to spin.
From Wikipedia
Tesla's global sales since 2012 totaled over 532,000 units at the end of 2018, of which, over 245,000 were delivered in 2018, up almost 138% from 2017.[12] Year over year Tesla U.S. vehicle sales from 2017 to 2018 increased by 280% from 48,000 to 182,400.[11] As of October 2018, Tesla's sales represented about 20% of the all-electric cars on the world's roads, according to Navigant Research.[41] In July 2017, Tesla said their vehicles had traveled 5 billion miles (8 billion km).[42]
An easy projection then is that Tesla will hit 600k by the end of the month and the gap will just accelerate from there.

Reactions: gene and Krugerrand
Leaf and 3 coexisting peacefully!

Leaf has had a few recalls, but has been a rock solid commuter. The 3 has also been trouble free since Oct. There was that suicidal deer incident, but you can't really fault the car or company for that unless you're a short seller.

On the performance and features side of the equation, however, there's no comparison!

View attachment 383433
I’d be interested to know your electrical hookup. Do you share (alternate charging) on one 240v line?

LEAF isn't a very good car.

At best it is a tolerable commuter car.

The much more expensive Model 3 will pass it soon as best selling EV all time.

That would not happen if LEAF was a very good car.

Not going to argue with you about whether the LEAF is a good car. Different strokes.

But I will say that IMO Nissan would have sold many more units if it weren't for Nissan dealers. Anyone who has shopped for a LEAF has likely experienced this. At most, there will be one sales person at any given dealer who knows anything about the car (and in some cases only one who will even talk to you about it). At worst, the sales people will actively steer you toward a Versa or other shitbox.

That is an interesting observation since it implies that LEAF customers are hunting for the cheapest car they can buy. In this case the LEAF due to manufacturer discounts and tax credits. Says a lot about future LEAF sales when tax credits phase out.

We are current Leaf owners. I kinda get that. I’m not sure what’s going to happen to the Leaf just because of that. I would think they will have to find away to make it cheaper to stay competitive.

A Leaf EPlus SL with all the trimmings is still cheaper than the equivalent Tesla by about 7000 bucks here in Canada. But is that enough? Not sure. We are keeping our existing Leaf (fantastic car and almost 4 years without a single glitch) but are seriously looking at the EPlus SL to replace Angela’s Smart ED convertible. It has served her well fir 5 years but now wants a hatchback. Having said that she also likes the model 3. But with the model 3 in this province we would be extremely limited where we can go because it is not Chademo or CCS compatible. Great car though. We don’t have to buy till either fall or the new year. Maybe Elon will come up with a Chademo adapter.

That is an interesting observation since it implies that LEAF customers are hunting for the cheapest car they can buy. In this case the LEAF due to manufacturer discounts and tax credits. Says a lot about future LEAF sales when tax credits phase out.

No. It implies either that (1) the sales people think LEAF customers are hunting for the cheapest car they can buy, or, more likely, (2) they know nothing about the LEAF and would rather steer a customer to a similar sized ICE vehicle because they are either more comfortable with it or they make more on that sale. "You know you can get a Versa for $10k less and not have to worry about being stranded on the side of the road because you forgot to plug it in." Many Nissan sales people actively try to NOT sell a LEAF.

Reactions: erik_k
I love my LEAF. I love my S. They are very different cars. I wish Tesla looked at what Nissan nailed with the LEAF and used that to improve their line up.

Frankly, the $35k Model 3 vs. the new 60kwh LEAF. Its a closer call than it should be. Nissan still gets the $7500 in the US and Tesla isn't actually delivering the base 3 in volume so its only real once Tesla starts making it real.

Not going to argue with you about whether the LEAF is a good car. Different strokes.

But I will say that IMO Nissan would have sold many more units if it weren't for Nissan dealers. Anyone who has shopped for a LEAF has likely experienced this. At most, there will be one sales person at any given dealer who knows anything about the car (and in some cases only one who will even talk to you about it). At worst, the sales people will actively steer you toward a Versa or other shitbox.

And Tesla has had to battle in over half the States in its domestic market in order to be able to sell its cars.

There are by and large two camps on TMC.

1) IF it is BEV it is a great car.

2) IF it is not Tesla it sucks.

I fall into neither camp.

Hyundai Ioniq EV is a good car despite not being long range. Very efficient and good fast charging. Good non drivetrain specs too.

Hyundai Kona EV and Kia Niro EV are good cars too.

I cheered at Polestar 2 reveal. It was the first vehicle to match Model 3 value proposition. For about 24 hrs. Until Tesla slashed prices.

Taycan and Rivian are looking like winners too.

Reactions: Boourns

Completely agree here. Local Nissan dealer has no real knowledge of the car for service and sales. We sold our 2012 Leaf to make room for the Model 3. When we sold it, the range was down to about 45 miles total. We missed the class action law suit by a few months for loss of battery capacity and Nissan quoted us over $10,000 to replace the battery....

• Informative
Reactions: Electricfan
For what its worth, I traded in my 2012 Leaf for a new Model 3.... I loved my Leaf, but mainly because of its 'EV-ness'. It was quick, safe, reliable, and cheap to commute with (all why I love EV's). It led me to buy a used Model S, and now a new Model 3, so I'll love it for that.

I was not impressed with Nissan itself though, and felt that the Leaf didn't capitalize on what it is to make it better. The service sucked (only one Leaf 'tech' at the dealer who could work on it), the 3G communication app was completely worthless, and there battery tech is far inferior to Tesla/Panasonic. After 35K miles and 6 years, it only had about 70% SOC compared to new (barely 40 mile range). My wifes model S is the exact same age, but with 110K miles, and it is at about 93% SOC.

It also had a lot less user friendly features, and never once had an OTA software upgrade, so the Model 3 is like driving a car from the future.....

Reactions: gene
LEAF isn't a very good car.

LEAF is a fantastic commuter car. Very very reliable and comfortable driving with higher seating than Model 3.

The reason why Model 3 sells more than LEAF (among other reasons), is LEAF's is so range limited it is useless other than using it as a commute and local errand car. Often I had to take the gas car because it can't do a 80 miles round trip on a cold day.

Believe me $35K SR Model 3 is also an extended range commute car on most winter nights. There will be so many who will be disappointed in its range in winter, and can't take it for road trips. The range hit on a Model 3 on a cold day is more than you see in a S or X.