Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newest update - problems with Gen 1 HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The newest software update for me, 2020.48.37.6 took my 100A HPWC to the point the car won't charge. I have a P100D, but because I use to have a P85D, I had installed a gen1 HPWC. Now I know things got dumbed down, drawing 80A made the handle so hot at times you would get burned, so a software update occurred and made in 72A max. Now it won't work. Luckily I have a 40A RV plug nearby so I can charge at night. What I am wondering is - has anyone else seen this? The new HPWC's max at 40A so putting a new one in seems like a big downgrade that I don't want to do. I specifically had the electricians (new construction) put in 'double ought cock', all copper to handle 100A. I would like to have my 72A back.

The newest software update for me, 2020.48.37.6 took my 100A HPWC to the point the car won't charge.
What do you mean “won’t charge”? What’s the error / behavior you’re seeing? Be specific.

Now I know things got dumbed down, drawing 80A made the handle so hot at times you would get burned, so a software update occurred and made in 72A max.
The difference between the 80 amp pre-facelift and 72 amp post-facelift cars is entirely different onboard charging hardware, not software.
The new HPWC's max at 40A so putting a new one in seems like a big downgrade that I don't want to do.
48 amp actually.

I would like to have my 72A back.
If all else fails you could source a used Gen 2 unit, which would be a direct replacement for your Gen 1.

Reactions: brkaus
Some good info and linked threads here:

It will not - charge - the answer to that is It goes full red from my HPWC. Now usually it does a dance of colors and ends up blinking green. So coming from the wall at 12A the dance occurs and charging starts. Fine - then luckily I put in a 50A outlet in for an RV. Fine it charges at 40A. So the challenge is did the software upgrade cause my gen1 HPWC to cease charging or is the HPWC faulty. IMO, there was a software bug/feature that limits charging at 40A. Gen 3 HPWC are, by the manual, limited to 40A.

There are two 40 amp chargers in an 80 amp car. If it will charge at 40 but not above the second charger has probably failed. I have a January 2016 pre-refresh car with two 40 amp chargers installed in the car. I have a gen 2 HPWC. It charges fine at 80 amps although I usually charge at 50 amps.

Dial the car down to 39 amps and try to charge using the HPWC. If that works bump it up to 40 amps. If that works bump it up to 42 amps. 42 amps will force the second charger to be required. The current will evenly divide between the two chargers with each charger providing 21 amps. Does that work?

Reactions: Clackamas
So the challenge is did the software upgrade cause my gen1 HPWC to cease charging or is the HPWC faulty.
Good idea for a next troubleshooting step. Find another Tesla to test your HPWC
IMO, there was a software bug/feature that limits charging at 40A.
Interesting theory, but far from proven given you’re testing it with completely different charging equipment on a completely different circuit. Does the HPWC charge successfully at 40A?

Gen 3 HPWC are, by the manual, limited to 40A.
Sorry, no. Still 48A. You need not look further than the first page of the manual to confirm this.

BB12790B-686E-483B-8071-E01531849323.jpeg

There are two 40 amp chargers in an 80 amp car. If it will charge at 40 but not above the second charger has probably failed. I have a January 2016 pre-refresh car with two 40 amp chargers installed in the car. I have a gen 2 HPWC. It charges fine at 80 amps although I usually charge at 50 amps.

Dial the car down to 39 amps and try to charge using the HPWC. If that works bump it up to 40 amps. If that works bump it up to 42 amps. 42 amps will force the second charger to be required. The current will evenly divide between the two chargers with each charger providing 21 amps. Does that work?
It’s difficult to follow OP’s storytelling, but If I’m reading right they have a P100D, which only came with the post-refresh single onboard charger in either 48 or 72 amp configs.

They seem to be stuck on the “40A” number because they are successfully charging with the Gen1 UMC that came with their car on a 14-50, which delivers 40 amps max.

Hi @Clackamas ,

You do not mention what year your car is...

I know when I brought home a 2018 Model X 100D with a 72 Amp internal charger,
It NEVER worked on the HPWC Gen 1 that worked fine for my wife's 2015 Model S 85D.

I moved on to a referral Gen 2 HPWC and it works fine for the Model X and Model S...

The HPWC Gen 1 is still in the garage no longer installed.
I do not know what to do with it...

Good luck,

Shawn

PS - As a curiosity question - what voltage do you run the Gen 1 on??? 208 or 240?

Hi @Clackamas ,

You do not mention what year your car is...

I know when I brought home a 2018 Model X 100D with a 72 Amp internal charger,
It NEVER worked on the HPWC Gen 1 that worked fine for my wife's 2015 Model S 85D.

I moved on to a referral Gen 2 HPWC and it works fine for the Model X and Model S...

The HPWC Gen 1 is still in the garage no longer installed.
I do not know what to do with it...

Good luck,

Shawn

PS - As a curiosity question - what voltage do you run the Gen 1 on??? 208 or 240?

Interesting, my 2015S charges at 80amps and my 2019X raven charges at 48amps on the same 1st gen charger. The only problem I've had with the charger was to replace one of the fuzes. Both cars are running their latest software. I suspect something else is going on. I've never had a heating problem with the 80amp charging rate.

Good suggestions. Thank you. I set the car to 20A for charging, tried it with the 40A RV (works like a champ @20A) however with the HPWC (240V) it still fails to red. So I think it is not the dual charging on the car, Tesla service says the car is fine.