Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
since i still dont have a way to log the car directly i snapped this at my go-to launch zone.
28099816681_57518f30f5_z.jpg

~85% SoC, maxbattery on with 30 min remaining, 1071394-00-a, feb 2016 build date. air temp 22*C.

Similar results at 92% max battery ready last night while dragging against a P90DL
(Thanks to TM-Spy)

View attachment 184470
It's interesting that TM-Spy shows the battery voltage. I still would love to know how low the voltage drops on one of the new 500 kW hot rods. As seem above, 300 volts at 1500 amps are the numbers for the 450 kW slowpokes with the "old" batteries.

500 kW could be achieved if the voltage only dropped to 333 volts with the current still limited to 1500 amps or 500 kW could be achieved if the battery dropped to 300 volts but the current limit was boosted to 1666 amps. Some combination of these two extremes could also yield 500 kW.

It's interesting that TM-Spy shows the battery voltage. I still would love to know how low the voltage drops on one of the new 500 kW hot rods. As seem above, 300 volts at 1500 amps are the numbers for the 450 kW slowpokes with the "old" batteries.

500 kW could be achieved if the voltage only dropped to 333 volts with the current still limited to 1500 amps or 500 kW could be achieved if the battery dropped to 300 volts but the current limit was boosted to 1666 amps. Some combination of these two extremes could also yield 500 kW.

Yes having the voltage/current/power is really nice!...
TM-Spy also has the pack temperature so MaxHeat temperature On vs Off is recordable.
Here's MaxHeat On:

IMG_2881.PNG

We were also very curious to see what my competitor's P90DL would have pulled for voltage/current/power & temperature since it's a 2016/02 manufactured date...
But it also has the newer diag connector and none of us has this plug in our 'toolkits' yet! :)
So we couldn't just move any of the setups to his car...

My bet is older P90DL would only see less of a voltage drop at 1500A, i.e. better chemistry.
For the newer P90DL that draw 500kW, I would bet for a mix of both...
I mean the fuse is programmable and the pack probably also has better chemistry.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
Most likely less voltage drop than current limit increase. Place your bets....
My bet:

Amperage is reduced in software to account for the voltage increase from the battery. Amperage is bring brought up in software updates accounting for the increased power output.

The bet is One Taco. Winners choice.
I'm going out on a limb here with my Taco bet:

My theory is that software is increasing the current from 1500 amps to 1700 amps and this higher current is causing more voltage drop in the battery, so I'm betting that CAN bus data will eventually show that the 500 kW is from 1700 amps at 295 volts.

Tesla's software may only run the inverter at 1700 amps when the newer model (more heat-tolerant?) battery is present.

I'm going out on a limb here with my Taco bet:

My theory is that software is increasing the current from 1500 amps to 1700 amps and this higher current is causing more voltage drop in the battery, so I'm betting that CAN bus data will eventually show that the 500 kW is from 1700 amps at 295 volts.

Tesla's software may only run the inverter at 1700 amps when the newer model (more heat-tolerant?) battery is present.

Happy to take both yours and Charles's bet. Plus I'll raise it by one burrito.

Of course by the time TM-spy is available for the hot rod P90D's and an owner does the test, I'm afraid the meal will be quite cold.

When I was out taking my friend for his first ride yesterday I got 888 Wh/mi in the past 5 miles highest I've seen yet obviously its not an accurate representation of instant max KW but still quite amusing.

Question though at one point in the drive I got an warning triangle at the top of the energy meter under full acceleration and also when I let off the petal it switched to the regen side anyone know what that means?

I suspect its a battery temp warning or that its unable to provide full power but its not a dashed line like you see on the region side when you have a full charge. I'm attaching a picture of it that I took a week ago on my road trip after letting off the petal on a fast _ _ _ run, a few seconds later the triangle moved to the regen side / bottom of the gauge but it only seems to show when driving aggressively, also I noticed the max battery changed from Ready to Cooling on the control screen thus my suspicion that its related to battery temp. Anyone else seen this, or have any comments? I couldn't find anything about it in the manual, and my service center said they hadn't seen that.

View media item 115489

Last edited:
When I was out taking my friend for his first ride yesterday I got 888 Wh/mi in the past 5 miles highest I've seen yet obviously its not an accurate representation of instant max KW but still quite amusing.

Question though at one point in the drive I got an warning triangle at the top of the energy meter under full acceleration and also when I let off the petal it switched to the regen side anyone know what that means?

I suspect its a battery temp warning or that its unable to provide full power but its not a dashed line like you see on the region side when you have a full charge. I'm attaching a picture of it that I took a week ago on my road trip after letting off the petal on a fast _ _ _ run, a few seconds later the triangle moved to the regen side / bottom of the gage but it only seems to show when driving aggressively, also I noticed the max battery changed from Ready to Cooling on the control screen thus my suspicion that its related to battery temp. Anyone else seen this, or have any comments? I couldn't find anything about it in the manual, and my service center said they hadn't seen that.

View media item 115489
I think you are supposed to press the exclamation icon to find out what it's indicating which could be more than one thing.

it only shows on the dashboard which is not a touch screen right? from what I know its only a display, it doesn't show anything on the center console other then in the control screen on max battery power I caught it displaying Cooling vs Ready that it showed just before.

The triangular icon with an exclamation point states that power and/or regen is limited. There could be different underlying reasons for that.

For example, power is limited in my P85D (and the P90DL loaner I'm currently driving) when SoC drops under 20%.

Regen is limited when SoC is very high (at or close to 100%) and also when the battery is cold.

So I wouldn't be surprised if both power and regen are limited when the battery is too hot. I just personally haven't noticed that yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Tech_Guy
ok, so still no actual data but something has changed with my car since march 2016. i was looking through my backlog of photos and saw one of the first videos i took launching the car.

28208616336_9f26b54cc3_c.jpg

this would be without max battery at the same 85-85% charge as the last upload.
Thanks for the info. It is hard to compare this to data taken with the Power Tools app. Is the problem that you do not have an iPhone to run the app?

Thanks for the info. It is hard to compare this to data taken with the Power Tools app. Is the problem that you do not have an iPhone to run the app?

yah i know both my posts on this page are basically throw aways. but i wanted to help try to figure out the logic in the hazpower / haznotpower groupings. i do not have an iphone and teslalog.com is not responding to my log in issues.

also the canbus thread ignored my request for a cable months ago so i stopped paying attention to that thread.

I was scheduled to upgrade my P85D tomorrow at MT Kisco. The service center called and backed me up for a week saying that they had to wait for a new Ludicrous kit since I had a "newer" battery. They had the older kits in stock. Since my car is 13 months old I find this explaination suspect. I think they have redesigned the upgrade. Any one have any speculation about this?

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
I was scheduled to upgrade my P85D tomorrow at MT Kisco. The service center called and backed me up for a week saying that they had to wait for a new Ludicrous kit since I had a "newer" battery. They had the older kits in stock. Since my car is 13 months old I find this explaination suspect. I think they have redesigned the upgrade. Any one have any speculation about this?

What is the part number on your battery?

I was scheduled to upgrade my P85D tomorrow at MT Kisco. The service center called and backed me up for a week saying that they had to wait for a new Ludicrous kit since I had a "newer" battery. They had the older kits in stock. Since my car is 13 months old I find this explanation suspect. I think they have redesigned the upgrade. Any one have any speculation about this?

I believe our P85D was built in Feb 2015 (17 months ago / VIN 689XX)... and it has a 1031043-00-E battery.

I'd also love to know what model battery our "newer" battery came with? And what the redesigned upgrade parts numbers are.

Maybe good things will come to those of us who waited to upgrade. :cool:

Where is the sticker for the battery number? My car was a mid March 2015 build. Who knows maybe I lucked out as I put a deposit down within hours of the upgrade being available. Tesla "lost "my reservation until about a 2 months ago and this was the first slot they had since they now had 8 people in front of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.