Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie questions and an observation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today was my first full day with our MS after taking delivery yesterday afternoon. My wife and I took a wonderful back-roads drive from Denver to Colorado Springs and stopped off at a bunch of places along the way. On one of the stops, when I got in the car and took off, pulling the TACC control stalk toward me elicited a chime and a message on the dash screen that "Cruise Control is Unavailable." I was certainly going fast enough and couldn't think of any reason that the cruise control would not be working. Finally, I pulled off the road and put the car in park and rebooted both screens. As soon as I took off again, the cruise control was working.

So my questions:

1) Any idea why the cruise control stopped working?
2) Do you need to stop the car in order to reboot? In other words, can you keep on driving while you reboot?
3) I didn't want to boot the big screen, then drive and see if it worked, and if not reboot the dash screen. If I were to chose one or the other to reboot, which should I have chosen? Which would have fixed the problem or do you usually have to reboot both?

Finally, my observation. My wife and I were in the car for about 6 hours total today. We remarked to each other that, compared with all the cars we have owned over the years (we are old), we've never had seats that were as comfortable on a long drive as those in our MS. We are very, very happy. Presumably we are lucky enough to be of exactly the right body size and type that whomever designed these seats was thinking of. :smile:

2) Do you need to stop the car in order to reboot? In other words, can you keep on driving while you reboot?
3) I didn't want to boot the big screen, then drive and see if it worked, and if not reboot the dash screen. If I were to chose one or the other to reboot, which should I have chosen? Which would have fixed the problem or do you usually have to reboot both?

You can reboot either display at any time.
Typically, you reboot the 17" display, and only if that doesn't solve the problem, reboot the instrument display.
I've used cruise control for perhaps ten minutes over 65K miles, so I don't have any tricks to offer about it.

There a 'deeper' reboot possible by going to the "e-brake"/"power off" screen, engaging the "power off" button, waiting two minutes and then pressing the brake pedal to restart. That one is not to be done on a highway :)