Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New X falcon door does not open to max height

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received new X a day ago and can't figure out how to make the falcon doors open to max height and remember it.

Can open it and hold the button to get to max height but the next time it won't open at the max height. The users manual is useless.

Any tips is appreciated otherwise it's going to be added to the list of issues.

Received new X a day ago and can't figure out how to make the falcon doors open to max height and remember it.
Can open it and hold the button to get to max height but the next time it won't open at the max height. The users manual is useless.
Any tips is appreciated otherwise it's going to be added to the list of issues.
It only remembers the location if you check the box "Always open to max height at this location" That option only appears if the top sensor detects an obstacle when arriving. The problem is often, the top sensor is not always in play. When you actually open the FWD, the normally side facing sensors come into play as the doors begin to face upward. The angle of view detecting an obstacle, is too narrow to always work.

My garage has a 14 foot ceiling and a 12 foot high door opening. What I had to do to trip the top sensor, was to close the overhead door to eight feet or so, then move the car so the top facing sensor was directly under the overhead door (the top sensor is visible from the top). Then open the FWD. That maneuver forced the Always Open Here prompt.

Reactions: henderrj and af88
There should be a setting where it asks how far you want the FWD to open, either Auto or Low. I'd assume you wouldn't be seeing the same issue older cars do where there's false notifications from the sensor itself thinking something is too close to the door, which usually happens after the sun is beating on the door for a while.

Issue is resolved. Had discussion with master tech and there is some nuances but it is working.

Set to Auto
On slope driveway it will automatically go to lower height unless you set per gps.
It detects if you are near building that will change behavior.
Open location based on auto opens all the way
If you are near building after a 15mph drive it will change behavior

None of this is in the manual but once you understand the limitations its not bad. Not my car it's the wife but any problems I hear about it

• Funny
Reactions: henderrj