Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Owner Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! I just got a pre-owned M3 long range and love it! I’m excited to have found this forum and was hoping I could get some guidance on a couple of questions.

So the back of my M3 says Dual Motor, but in my specs and warranty, it says it is a rear wheel drive. I was under the assumption that dual motors meant all wheel drive? Not a deal breaker, but I didn’t know if there was a way to unlock all wheel drive or if anyone can correct my assumption on what dual motor means.

I also do not have the full self driving computer, but I do have enhanced auto pilot, meaning the upgrade to FSD computer would be $1k and then outright purchasing FSD would be $6k. Would it be worth it to upgrade the computer, but not (at least right away) get the FSD? Certainly tempting to see if they will 0% finance haha

I don’t have anymore questions at the moment, but happy to be a member of the Tesla cult! Any additional tips would be great.

Thanks!

Welcome,

Badging (especially for older model 3s) didnt even come on the car, so what the badge is on the car doesnt mean much. What car did you buy, exactly?

I also do not have the full self driving computer, but I do have enhanced auto pilot, meaning the upgrade to FSD computer would be $1k and then outright purchasing FSD would be $6k. Would it be worth it to upgrade the computer, but not (at least right away) get the FSD? Certainly tempting to see if they will 0% finance haha

Based on your description, you have a model 3 of some model or other that is probably a 2018 or early (first 4 months) 2019. If it were me I would upgrade the computer but not do FSD. I think the computer is worth 1k if thats what they are charging you for it.

Welcome,

Badging (especially for older model 3s) didnt even come on the car, so what the badge is on the car doesnt mean much. What car did you buy, exactly?

Based on your description, you have a model 3 of some model or other that is probably a 2018 or early (first 4 months) 2019. If it were me I would upgrade the computer but not do FSD. I think the computer is worth 1k if thats what they are charging you for it.
This is the screenshot from my specs tab on the app. I think the car was originally delivered in December of 2018. It says dual motor on the back, but rear wheel drive here. I was also wondering if there was a way to check what kind of battery I have? I know some newer batteries are the type you should charge to 100%, but I assume I have the type I want to limit to 80% charge.

A lot to learn, but I’m excited to do so!

Attachments

• IMG_0370.jpeg
    IMG_0370.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: JTrail
Its almost definitely a single motor, given the information so far. Turn the steering wheel all the way one way or the other and see if there's a driveshaft going to either front wheel.

I'd agree that the computer upgrade is worth it, but FSD is definitely NOT, especially with the pending changes to FSD. TBH, even without the pending changes, FSD is not worth 6k.

Its almost definitely a single motor, given the information so far. Turn the steering wheel all the way one way or the other and see if there's a driveshaft going to either front wheel.

I'd agree that the computer upgrade is worth it, but FSD is definitely NOT, especially with the pending changes to FSD. TBH, even without the pending changes, FSD is not worth 6k.
I wonder why it has the dual motor badge. Could I maybe get a couple grand back from the dealership for false advertising 🤔 it would pay for the FSD computer! 😂

• Funny
Reactions: JTrail
I wonder why it has the dual motor badge. Could I maybe get a couple grand back from the dealership for false advertising 🤔 it would pay for the FSD computer! 😂
Only if they advertised it as dual motor. If they instead advertised it as "Long range" then that is accurate.

That car is a 2018 Tesla model 3 Long Range Rear Wheel Drive model. They dont make long range RWD tesla model 3s anymore, but there isnt anything wrong with it. Its definitely a single motor.

Badging means nothing on this (or frankly any other) used vehicle. It likely has a dual motor badge because the previous owner wanted to put one on there, no different than people slapping "M's" on BMW 320s etc.

They didnt start using LFP in model 3s till much than that, and not in any long range vehicles (that model nor any other Long Range model).

@KSmedia13 Definitely a LR RWD 3, wish Tesla still made those. Worth it to recheck what the sale description said, could get something if it was listed as a dual motor. Go for the computer upgrade and keep enhanced AP if you can, agree FSD isn’t worth it, if you’re always on the road then probably worth it.

Some tips:
- Get a 240V home charger, if you haven’t already, set and keep charge at 80%.
- Always precondition before supercharging, will do it on its own if using Nav.
- On cold days you can use precondition to warm up the car inside before you leave the house.
- If you have your phone calendar linked you can precondition to warm up before you leave home and then it’ll automatically warm up by your calendar end time so when you leave wherever you are the cars inside will be warm.
- If your planning on road tripping, charge to 100% before you leave, set your destination, nav will let you know where to stop to charge and will let you know when you’ve charged enough to head out.
- Use V3 superchargers only, if you can, it’ll charge faster and you won’t have to wait as long.
- I like setting Chill mode when road tripping, saves some energy since the motor won’t use full on output, acceleration will be slower, more gradual.
- Don’t forget to rotate the tires and replace the cabin air filter yourself if you can. If not, I’ve had good experience with mobile service. Don’t forget about brake services, checking brakes, cleaning, lubing friction points and flushing fluid.
- Regen braking is your friend.🙂
- Get PPF for the front bumper, hood, fenders, and side mirrors, at least, to protect the paint from chipping by road rocks.
- Use mud flaps, helps keep rocker panels and lower rear fender paint in good condition.

Welcome to the cult!😀

@KSmedia13 Definitely a LR RWD 3, wish Tesla still made those. Worth it to recheck what the sale description said, could get something if it was listed as a dual motor. Go for the computer upgrade and keep enhanced AP if you can, agree FSD isn’t worth it, if you’re always on the road then probably worth it.

Some tips:
- On cold days you can use precondition to warm up the car inside before you leave the house.
- If you have your phone calendar linked you can precondition to warm up before you leave home and then it’ll automatically warm up by your calendar end time so when you leave wherever you are the cars inside will be warm.
- If your planning on road tripping, charge to 100% before you leave, set your destination, nav will let you know where to stop to charge and will let you know when you’ve charged enough to head out.
- Use V3 superchargers only, if you can, it’ll charge faster and you won’t have to wait as long.
- I like setting Chill mode when road tripping, saves some energy since the motor won’t use full on output, acceleration will be slower, more gradual.
- Don’t forget to rotate the tires and replace the cabin air filter yourself if you can. If not, I’ve had good experience with mobile service. Don’t forget about brake services, checking brakes, cleaning, lubing friction points and flushing fluid.
- Get PPF for the front bumper, hood, fenders, and side mirrors, at least, to protect the paint from chipping by road rocks.
- Use mud flaps, helps keep rocker panels and lower rear fender paint in good condition.

Welcome to the cult!😀

Some tips:

Welcome to the cult!😀
Thank you. I appreciate your comment! I admittedly thought I would be here more often. I’ve enjoyed exactly one month to the day owning a Tesla. I will slowly invest in more stuff to keep the Tesla at top shape. I think it already has mud-flaps and I will get the tires rotated while also taking care of asking the tech some questions I hope he can answer about the brakes. I have yet to try chill mode, but going from a car that needed a little bit of a heavy foot to take off, I am really enjoying the standard mode.

I do have one curved aero disk I need to just admit defeat on and replace. I’m not sure about the premium connectivity really, but I’ll see about life without it soon. My music plays off YouTube music so there isn’t an app I’ve found to go through the Tesla center console.

I’m likely to upgrade to 3.0 hardware soon. I feel like $1k is very reasonable when you consider pretty much any graphics card laptop is over $1k. My only real question is will there be another hardware I can upgrade to in the near future? 2.5 is pretty good, but it seems unanimous among Tesla owners here it is worth it.

Excited about the purchase!