Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Fatality - Single Car Accident.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only one finding the argument in this thread over which kind of Tesla it was a little distasteful?

We're all concerned and also have respect for the person. However the Roadster has not had any fatalities hence why people were curious and defending it due to lack of credible information. I don't think its distasteful, whenever there's a death in a vehicle that I also drive I want to know how and why it happened. Its both for my safety and also the safety of others on the road.

Last edited:
I have a connection with the Coroner's office and made an inquiry. These items are public record anyway, so no rules are being broken. If I am incorrect, they won't release any info.

I understand dpeilow's concern over the tastefulness of the type of discussion. I also think it is acceptable to have a conversation about the circumstances surrounding the events of a fatal crash while still being respectful to the fact that someone lost his life.

I have a connection with the Coroner's office and made an inquiry. These items are public record anyway, so no rules are being broken. If I am incorrect, they won't release any info.

I understand dpeilow's concern over the tastefulness of the type of discussion. I also think it is acceptable to have a conversation about the circumstances surrounding the events of a fatal crash while still being respectful to the fact that someone lost his life.

Social ones maybe? Sorry, I do find this distasteful.

This just feels really wrong and invasive, whether rules are being broken or not.

This just feels really wrong and invasive, whether rules are being broken or not.

I understand, and I think I agree. I am not interested in, nor do I want, any actual details of his death. I would like to know if there were any outcomes from the investigation: What speed was he going? Was it on a curve? Was he wearing his seatbelt? Etc. I don't think that's too distasteful.

Dude really? Ever hear of Aspergers Syndrome ? This is really socially inappropriate. Have some respect for the family - this is not cool. I don't think we need or want that level of detail. Even the connection with the coroners office is giving me the hebejebes. Lets stop - this is disturbing.

We're all concerned and also have respect for the person. However the Roadster has not had any fatalities hence why people were curious and defending it due to lack of credible information. I don't think its distasteful, whenever there's a death in a vehicle that I also drive I want to know who and why it happened. Its both for my safety and also the safety of others on the road.

I think you meant "how and why it happened, not "who and why"?

Since a Tesla was being driven and a fatal accident resulted, yes I would like to know how the accident happened and whether it was a Model S or a Roadster.

And I was not aware that "the Roadster has not had any fatalities". That's interesting, though no doubt it is in part because there are a relatively small number of Roadsters and most of them do not have a lot of miles on them yet.

I would also be curious as the circumstances. Cutting to the chase, if there is some way to have a fatal accident in the Model S in a residential area where presumably speeds would be low... I'd like to know about it.

I would also be curious as the circumstances. Cutting to the chase, if there is some way to have a fatal accident in the Model S in a residential area where presumably speeds would be low... I'd like to know about it.

Just to clarify, Shannon Rd. is a couple of miles from my house. The speed limit is routinely exceeded there, sometimes by a lot (I once reached 45 mph on my road bike on the downhill section). The car ended up in a ditch. The driver was not wearing a seatbelt. It was after 1 a.m. in the morning.

It is highly unlikely this accident had anything to do with any safety shortcoming in the Model S. Can we put it to rest?

Just to clarify, Shannon Rd. is a couple of miles from my house. The speed limit is routinely exceeded there, sometimes by a lot (I once reached 45 mph on my road bike on the downhill section). The car ended up in a ditch. The driver was not wearing a seatbelt. It was after 1 a.m. in the morning.

It is highly unlikely this accident had anything to do with any safety shortcoming in the Model S. Can we put it to rest?

I'm not digging, personally. But if someone else does, and posts the info here, I don't have a problem with it. "Highly unlikely" is not quite a closed case.

I promise, no disrespect to the family or the deceased intended on my part.

Perhaps you guys and gals are right. My deepest apologies to those that I offended. I really meant no disrespect to the victim or his family. I told my contacts to not bother looking into it.

Again, I didn't want any details that could be deemed inappropriate. I just wanted to know how someone can be in a fatal single car accident in a 35 mile per hour zone (if I have that right). A lot of people are speculating as it is. If he was intoxicated or texting, that's a valuable lesson for us all.

Now, accusing someone of having Asperger's? Again, I'm sorry if I was so out of line, but this was uncalled for.

I, too, would like to know more about the nature of the crash.

I'm very sorry for the family and their loss, and I wish Peter was still around, but I don't see how their loss should mean that we shouldn't know what happened--especially if the crash reveals a design flaw that can be corrected. I would feel the same way even if I was the victim; when I die, I hope that my death, in some small way, can be used for good. That is why I have signed an organ donor card and have made it clear to my family that I would prefer that my body be donated to science.

To be honest, I don't understand the reasons behind the phrases "the argument ... was a little distasteful", "this is really socially inappropriate," and "This just feels really wrong and invasive". And no, I don't have Aspergers Syndrome.:rolleyes: Quite honestly, I would like to understand your thought process--Why shouldn't we try to find out what happened? I understand not hounding the survivors for answers (yes, that would be very inappropriate), but what is wrong with our trying to learn what happened? :confused:

I'm sure the nature of the crash will come out in the fullness of time and lessons will be learnt. In the meantime there's nothing you can do about it.

As a two Tesla household it's a possibility another family member of the family might eventually find this thread. The sleuthing and some of the phraseology are a little uncalled for IMHO.

Condolences to the friends and family.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure the nature of the crash will come out in the fullness of time and lessons will be learnt. In the meantime there's nothing you can do about it.

As a two Tesla household it's a possibility another family member of the family might eventually find this thread. The sleuthing and some of the phraseology are a little uncalled for IMHO.

Condolences to the friends and family.

I think you meant "how and why it happened, not "who and why"?

Yes I did mean how. Thanks, I made the edit.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't guarantee it. Some of these incidents get mentioned by the media/source only once then never again.

IMO there is nothing wrong with inquiring about why an accident about any product that available where a life is riding on the line due to something as simple as a little bolt breaking due to a defect. That's why people want to know and I feel they have a right. Look at airplane accidents. I feel there's a responsibility to talk about it. This helps understand if the product was used as intended or pushed beyond its design specs, or even have failed by a manufacturing flaw. Where the product would be recalled, fixed, and put back out in the public which an action that could save lives. Lastly if it even was pilot/driver error, that we also must learn from that too and truly understand why, try not make it ourselves, and also to share the concern with others to prevent help it from happening in the future. If you close your eyes as if nothing has happened, nobody will learn, and another loss will happen. Its life. I don't feel any disrespect to the family for what has been discussed in this thread and none I felt was intended if someone feels that way.

Not trying to spur this thread, but the original discussion was pointing out an accident in a Model-S, then it mistakenly was put into the Roadster section as if it was a Roadster (due to a couple of stray article comments). Since it was said to be a Roadster, it was concerning for myself since I own one where no fatalities have been recorded to this day. As the Roadsters age we want to ensure they remain safe. Using the Internet that's publicly free information I could only find that there was no information to back up it was a Roadster, but credible public information pointed that it most likely was a Model-S. Then after another member confirmed from a credible source it was an S it was then moved to the Model S section.

So instead of leaving the thread with incorrect information that can turn into more rumors (which I feel is worse), it was corrected and clarified.

Last edited:
It's rare that anyone posts an apology online; kudos to 4SUPER9 and Xenoilphobe (both got +ve rep from me for that).

FWIW, I'm 100% certain that if there was any question of the car being to blame in this accident it would already have been all over the press. Driving-related deaths happen all the time and we should all just remember (whatever car we're in) to drive carefully out there.

It's rare that anyone posts an apology online; kudos to 4SUPER9 and Xenoilphobe (both got +ve rep from me for that).

FWIW, I'm 100% certain that if there was any question of the car being to blame in this accident it would already have been all over the press. Driving-related deaths happen all the time and we should all just remember (whatever car we're in) to drive carefully out there.

Even when there isn't legitimate question over the safety of the car it is all over the news when it is a Tesla. So I would agree that this is not likely that Tesla was at fault here.

Again, I didn't want any details that could be deemed inappropriate. I just wanted to know how someone can be in a fatal single car accident in a 35 mile per hour zone (if I have that right). A lot of people are speculating as it is.

I decided to visit the crash site today to help answer that question. The first photo below shows the intersection where the single car accident occurred. To the left of my car you see culvert where the police found the Model S and the memorial which marks the spot where it left the road. In the second photo you can get a sense of the depth of the culvert. Also notice the two freshly cut oak tree stumps between the memorial and the culvert, indicating the car may have hit a tree before landing in the culvert. Given the culvert, the tree and a report of no seat belt, the fatality is not surprising to me.

I hope the family can find some peace. Looking at the memorial the victim was loved by a lot of people.

ShannonampShortRds_zpsf815b85f.jpg

CrashMemorial_zpsa0edbd25.jpg