Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla AP 2.0 Self Driving Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very cool.

I love that it pays homage to Benny Hill. Notice the two ladies jogging were identified as "IN-PATH OBJECTS", i.e. in green and the car stopped for them. At the same time you can see the rear camera shows another car getting very close - probably didn't expect the Tesla to stop.

In the slower version, I noticed a few times where the car came to a complete stop when most drivers would not have. At 0:41 it stops prematurely when approaching an intersection for no apparent reason. At 1:31 it stops for the joggers, even though they are not on the road. A cautious driver might slow down, but I don't think they would have stopped. Whereas at 1:09 and 1:57, it doesn't stop for a pedestrian on the side of the road. At 1:42 it stops while going around a corner, maybe because of the parked cars on the other side of the street. At 2:34 it stops again while going around a corner, maybe because of the oncoming traffic in the other lane. Also, the lanes lines are a bit off going around that corner. In contrast, at 0:59 there's a truck turning left towards the Tesla while it is turning right, and the AP is fine.

At 0:22 it slows down for no apparent reason. A car does pull out from the left, but the AP was already slowing down. At 0:33 it comes to a herky-jerky stop, which could have been smooth. At 1:15 it seems to think that part of the hill on the oncoming lane is an obstacle. Where there are curves and hills, I feel it should be showing the lane lines farther out than it does (e.g., in the 1:19 to 1:23 range). At 1:33 it gets confused briefly about the lane lines. It's hard to tell with the sped-up video how smooth the steering is, but looking farther down the road would definitely help.

Presumably, it is seeing the guard rails and cones, etc. but just doesn't mark them on the display, which seems a bit odd considering it does flag other things that are less of an issue like fire hydrants.

Overall pretty impressive, but a lot of small errors that are worrisome. I am hopeful they will get all those cleaned up.

Overall pretty impressive, but a lot of small errors that are worrisome. I am hopeful they will get all those cleaned up.
The video does not show all the data inputs the cars uses to determine what to do during that drive. The video only shows 3 of the 8 camera views, doesn't show the radar data, doesn't show any of the 12 ultrasonics.

So you are not in a position to evaluate the car's preformance because you don't have all the data the car has.

Am I saying the car behaved "perfectly" during that drive? Of course not. I don't have all the data needed to make that determination.

The video does not show all the data inputs the cars uses to determine what to do during that drive. The video only shows 3 of the 8 camera views, doesn't show the radar data, doesn't show any of the 12 ultrasonics.

So you are not in a position to evaluate the car's preformance because you don't have all the data the car has.

Perhaps, but the car doesn't need to stop when there is nothing in front of it. The front video is pretty clear. Those stops where it is going around a corner are a good way to get rear ended.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
Perhaps, but the car doesn't need to stop when there is nothing in front of it. The front video is pretty clear. Those stops where it is going around a corner are a good way to get rear ended.

I'm guessing this is where the fleet data will help immensely. Fully autonomous driving obviously won't be perfect when people start getting their cars next month, but it seems like Tesla is 95% there.

I am hopeful they will get all those cleaned up.

Great observations. They won't get everything up to the speed of a human driver, this is because if the AI drove as non-carefully as a human it would risk having as much accident as humans actually do, something it would never allow itself due to the way it has been programmed (safety is prioritized highly every step of the way).

Since I lived in Palo Alto, California during the mid-eighties, I thought the roads looked somewhat familiar. After a little detective work with Google Maps, I determined that the trip begins at a parking lot in Los Altos, with the first stop at 1st Street and Main Street with the Tin Pot Creamery on a corner. The car then takes a winding route through Los Altos Hills before ending up at Tesla Headquarters in Palo Alto.