Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Android App Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The notifications are actually pushed from the car itself (to Tesla, then to your phone if I recall correctly), and the setting to enable the notifications is actually stored on the car so it knows to push them to Tesla to push to you.

This is actually similar to how the Chevy Volt's notifications work through OnStar.

So I got a notification for charge interrupted, but I'm a little confused as the charging had already completed, and the cord was unplugged the normal way with the car unlocked and by pressing the button on the charge cord. Seems to me no notification should have been generated? (on the bright side, I actually got a notification from Tesla on an Android phone!!!)

Same thing here on getting the interrupted message. It was fully charged this morning my son went up to get breakfast biscuits and I got the interrupted message ... I got another message when he can in and plugged in? He may have just not got it in the first time he wasn't sure. Guess we need to interpertate it as"Charging Disconnected" Still a nice message if you're at a charger station inside eating food and someone messes with the car/ charger.... :)

Same thing here on getting the interrupted message. It was fully charged this morning my son went up to get breakfast biscuits and I got the interrupted message ... I got another message when he can in and plugged in? He may have just not got it in the first time he wasn't sure. Guess we need to interpertate it as"Charging Disconnected" Still a nice message if you're at a charger station inside eating food and someone messes with the car/ charger.... :)

Well, when I received that message the car was charging just fine. It only happened once, but I didn't use the car yesterday, so it hasnt charged again. I should get notifications tonight. If the problem persists, I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling.

Well, when I received that message the car was charging just fine. It only happened once, but I didn't use the car yesterday, so it hasnt charged again. I should get notifications tonight. If the problem persists, I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling.

I decided to force a charge. I received two notifications that the car was charging.

I uninstalled the app, restarted my phone, and reinstalled the app.

I subsequently received two messages to inform me that the charge was complete.

Any suggestions, other than writing to Tesla about this?

Thanks.

Edit: I actually had an idea, that I'm trying, but won't be able to test for a while. I've blocked the app notification in Android through Settings/Notifications/App Notifications. Assuming I am getting one notification that way, and one some other way (possibly through something Gmail / Google is doing with their crazy card stuff), this may work. Or it will fail, and I'll now get no notifications at all. I won't write to Tesla until I see how this works.

Last edited:
It may be a bit wonky ..... I just went out and came back .... it was fully charged (85%) and I didn't get a disconnected message. I thought I got it this morning as the result of my son taking the car out early.... but the message could have been generated earlier .... maybe I had a power blink to the house that affected the disconnect reporting ... no house clocks went off so i don't think so ... it may have had a surge to that circuit/ breaker? I don't think there was a time stamp on the disconnect message ..... it's gone now so I can't check .... been back 30 minutes now no message ..... I have it set to notify me when fully charged so I'll see what I get .......

What do you mean by "enable it for the car as well?" Under the notifications menu at least one notification was on by default. I just turned the others on for now, to see what would happen, and the results were as noted above. If I missed a step somewhere it was not an obvious one.

Thanks!

In my case, I had to go to "Notifications" -> "Selected Vehicles" and touch my Model S in the list, so that it would highlight a checkmark next to it.

The app shows no other cars for me, but I realize that the menu may not be there fore you -- perhaps it's showing me that because we have a Model X ready for production in addition to the Model S.

In my case, I had to go to "Notifications" -> "Selected Vehicles" and touch my Model S in the list, so that it would highlight a checkmark next to it.

The app shows no other cars for me, but I realize that the menu may not be there fore you -- perhaps it's showing me that because we have a Model X ready for production in addition to the Model S.

No Model X here, but it shows the exact same thing you're seeing.

After I reinstalled the app, my Model S was checked, we'll see how it does tonight.

OK, thanks.

I do have just the one vehicle. Either it had been checked by default, or I had found it and checked it when I first enabled the notifications, but in any case, that was not an issue.

I'll report back on whether or not disabling the app notification results in 0 or 1 or, highly unlikely, still 2 notifications for me.

I decided to force a charge. I received two notifications that the car was charging.

I uninstalled the app, restarted my phone, and reinstalled the app.

I subsequently received two messages to inform me that the charge was complete.

Any suggestions, other than writing to Tesla about this?

Thanks.

Edit: I actually had an idea, that I'm trying, but won't be able to test for a while. I've blocked the app notification in Android through Settings/Notifications/App Notifications. Assuming I am getting one notification that way, and one some other way (possibly through something Gmail / Google is doing with their crazy card stuff), this may work. Or it will fail, and I'll now get no notifications at all. I won't write to Tesla until I see how this works.

I'll report back on whether or not disabling the app notification results in 0 or 1 or, highly unlikely, still 2 notifications for me.

No luck.

I received no notifications at all with notifications for the app blocked. When I re-enabled them, I received two notifications again, for charging started, after I had stopped charging, and then started it again. I still receive no notifications for charging completing.

I guess it's time to write to Tesla.

Interesting point.

I had rebooted the phone a number of times, but I have not rebooted the car. I'll try that.

I rebooted the car. That did not solve the problem. I then uninstalled the app AGAIN and reinstalled it. (Second time doing this.) And somehow that seems to have done the trick. Perhaps it was the reboot of the car in between, or something else, but for now I seem to be getting just one notification. I even received the "charge completed" notification, so as far as I can tell the notifications are working correctly.

I was getting double messages ... didn't reinstall the app but did reboot the car ..... now I'm receiving 1 message on charge start ... one on completion with the amount of miles available and the time it completed ... nice! I did it a notification charge interruped last night .... none today .....

There's still a bug / missing feature in the Android version -- the app still shows rated range only, even if the current driver profile has battery % display set. The iOS app pulls the setting from the car profile.

But I don't want to report to TMC as I kinda like it and want it to stay this way. But of course I'd like it better when the apps allow viewing either, and allowed profile settings changes, export, etc. but I am detecting a maintenance-only stage of app development at this point...

So here's an interesting data point. I have the Android app installed on my tablet and on my phone. Tab is running 4.4.2, phone is running 5.1.

Both have been reporting notifications fine, but last night I got a "charging interrupted" notice for the first time. Presumably just a power sag as no clocks in the house lost time.

Tab got the notification just fine, but the phone gave me double notification on charge interrupted. Both gave just one notification for charge complete.