Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Rotors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody know the correct size or brands and part numbers of cross drilled and/or slotted rotors for our model S? I purchased the 2010 Camaro SS rotors and pads a while back and the pads fit. The rotors were the right size but the offset (depth the rotor sits against the hub) was wrong and did not match up so they were returned. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Slots or dimples can shave the pads reducing glazing with some potential for improved braking from this and increasing dust which matters since aesthetics are your goal.
Drilled reduces mass which is BAD on most vehicles especially a heavy one as despite the marketing claims if anything will make the rotor run hotter with less mass to absorb the same energy. It also created sharp edges which are prone to cracking. People love to cite Porsche as using drilled but look at how massive those rotors are compared to car weight, and they give specs on how long the cracks can be before they necessitate replacement.

Ceramic pads will not grab as well as a good performance metallic pad but they do throw a lighter colored dust and can be quieter so you may want to consider that.

On the street cracking with normal drivers cracking and fade due to reduced mass is not gonna happen. The crack specs from Porsche is for cars regularly on the track. Check forums for how many people complain of brake fade on Teslas on the street.

Agreed on the pads, but painted wheels with a good coat of wax are not that hard to maintain.

Are they compatible with the model S refresh that has a single caliper on the rear axle or the double caliper ones?
2017 P100D
image.jpg

Hmmmm, because i bought the Brembo BBK and the disc can't be fitted because the caliper touches the center of the disc, now i still don't know if the single calliper will accept this disc.

De model S refresh has an integrated e-brake so there is the possibility that the caliper is thicker than the double caliper version, do you know someone with a model S refresh and if so if you get the chance can you compare your red caliper with the grey caliper?

Does anybody know the correct size or brands and part numbers of cross drilled and/or slotted rotors for our model S? I purchased the 2010 Camaro SS rotors and pads a while back and the pads fit. The rotors were the right size but the offset (depth the rotor sits against the hub) was wrong and did not match up so they were returned. Any help is greatly appreciated.

These were the most economical I found when I was looking. I haven't tried them but throwing it out there.
R1 Concepts Performance Brake Parts – Brake Rotors, Brake kits, Brake Pads, Brake Accessories, Rotor Disc

• Informative
Reactions: Russell
X4ero, at this point, haunt your local supercharger and hope you get lucky enough to see the differences.

R1 Concepts is cheap for a reason, they are single piece rotors. Note the aluminum centers on the RB rotors, much lighter.

On the street cracking with normal drivers cracking and fade due to reduced mass is not gonna happen. The crack specs from Porsche is for cars regularly on the track. Check forums for how many people complain of brake fade on Teslas on the street.

Agreed on the pads, but painted wheels with a good coat of wax are not that hard to maintain.

I agree, but still like folks to be informed. Most sources will feed people bull about drilling improving cooling and such, but air isn't going to make the turns to get thru those holes and the reduced mass is likely to raise temps.

The Regen I believe makes life a lot easier on the friction brakes.

X4ero, at this point, haunt your local supercharger and hope you get lucky enough to see the differences.

R1 Concepts is cheap for a reason, they are single piece rotors. Note the aluminum centers on the RB rotors, much lighter.
I live in the Netherlands and nobody has aftermarket stuff on their Tesla, i guess i'm the only one with the need for other discs ;)

I will send an email to RB performance brakes.

"Most sources will feed people bull about drilling improving cooling and such, but air isn't going to make the turns to get thru those holes and the reduced mass is likely to raise temps."

OK, here's the facts.
Solid discs (no center ventilation) will lose mass and probably run hotter with drilling.
Ventilated discs (with vanes between two solid discs) generally benefit from drilling. Air is pumped from the center outward by the vanes between the discs. Only so much air can enter the smaller inside diameter and the outer diameter vanes can pump more than that amount of air. At speed the pumping action is enough to force air "around the corner" so drilling allows air to enter from the face through the holes to between the discs, increasing cooling. A secondary effect is if the brakes get really hot and the pads outgas there is a place for the gas to go, further reducing fade.

High performance brakes go one step further because drilled holes do not allow enough air through the discs. Slots are used.

"Most sources will feed people bull about drilling improving cooling and such, but air isn't going to make the turns to get thru those holes and the reduced mass is likely to raise temps."

OK, here's the facts.
Solid discs (no center ventilation) will lose mass and probably run hotter with drilling.
Ventilated discs (with vanes between two solid discs) generally benefit from drilling. Air is pumped from the center outward by the vanes between the discs. Only so much air can enter the smaller inside diameter and the outer diameter vanes can pump more than that amount of air. At speed the pumping action is enough to force air "around the corner" so drilling allows air to enter from the face through the holes to between the discs, increasing cooling. A secondary effect is if the brakes get really hot and the pads outgas there is a place for the gas to go, further reducing fade.

High performance brakes go one step further because drilled holes do not allow enough air through the discs. Slots are used.

It's a fact, that's why racing cars have solid discs and super cars have drilled discs but to make up for the material they have lost because of the holes they make them big. Holes look cool, so not in real life performance but between our ears ;) That's the reason i want drilled or special looking discs and it backfired. I bought the expensive Brembo BBK and the read discs and caliper ain't compatible because the refresh uses a single caliper construct with integrated e-brake and i can't return them hehehehehe (just burned 8000 euros).

Slotted, drilled pure for the looks, the man factor so you can show them to your friends and tell them you spent 8000 on discs, we men are easy to sell stuff to based on our egos, women are worse, they are the easy clients because if you tell them it's better what they have they buy it, everything, look at the soup commercials, every year it is better than before hahahahaha when will it stop, till you use it and your table melts?

Oh and if you're on a quest for lightest 19" rims i found these: volk VR.G2

They look too sporty for a luxury sedan but they are really light, 19lbs so 8.5kg.

This is the only picture i could find:
10831973_862874217079965_215752499_n.jpg

Ofcourse Carbon Revolution rims are lighter but they are only 3kg lighter and they cost 11 times more!!!

VR.G2 rims are discontinued, i spoke to the distributor and he will send me a list with all the light rims that are compatible with the model S.

If you are interested i can send you the list so you can check if you see something fancy ;)

Hmmmm, because i bought the Brembo BBK and the disc can't be fitted because the caliper touches the center of the disc, now i still don't know if the single calliper will accept this disc.

De model S refresh has an integrated e-brake so there is the possibility that the caliper is thicker than the double caliper version, do you know someone with a model S refresh and if so if you get the chance can you compare your red caliper with the grey caliper?

This is a common problem of a two piece rotor with conventional surface mount design.

Girodisc hat issue.PNG

There is a cure for that - Center mount design.
RB Patented Center-Mount design.PNG

May be you can just replace the rotor.