Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner --> So much inforamation here; where do I start?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my 70D yesterday. Very exciting as this is my first EV and first "sports car". I have driven mini-vans and SUVs for the last 30 years. I'm looking for some guidance on how to gather basic information on the vehicle. I'm not looking for anything in particular, yet, but things like strategies for extending range, useful accessories, compatible technologies (hardware and software), preventative maintenance, how to find the best public charging stations, how to link up with other Tesla owners and the like. There is so much information in this forum that I'm having trouble figuring out where to start. I'm located in Sammamish, Washington (Greater Seattle Area - USA). Any guidance is welcome.

Keith
Model S 70D #90890
Midnight Silver

Obtain the second onboard charger. Your area is becoming rich in high-amp L2 chargers sooner than other areas.
As for finding more guidance, this forum right here is quite good for tried-and true wisdom as well as the latest buzz...

You're bringing a straw to a fire hydrant, unfortunately. Perhaps a very good place to start is the "Things you didn't know about the Model S" thread, as here: Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

The blue-shaded Sticky threads at the top of many of the sub-forums tend to have more information than misinformation in them.

Just remember always to stay far away from threads dominated by forum member _____________ or _____________ or _______________. Absolute full-frontal wackos, the lot of 'em.

Oh: and go to the "Introduce Yourself" thread and...introduce yourself!

This should be obvious, but the most important thing is to read the owners manual. Several times. The car is so different than any car you've ever driven that everyone really needs to read it even if they have never considered reading the owners manual of previous cars.

Second thing is to read all about various charging methods on the Tesla website to make sure you understand basics of the various outlet types, HPWC, and J1772 charging, and then ask your questions here.

Keith, first congratulations on your new MS. Welcome! You will love it.

It is a bit overwhelming with all the stuff coming at you. Determine which are the best ways that you learn and go from there. If you are the kind that reads, There is a bunch of info starting with the on-line owners manual in the car. Also various websites including this forum have tons of info. If you are the kind that learns from others, then continue with this forum of course. But also consider going back to the Tesla store and chat it up with the folks there. They are a great resource. Also the Service Center if you have on nearby. They are a great resource for us. Check the local TMC group. Get together with them.
Lastly, if you learn by doing, then get out there and drive! Try out the different features and see how they work. TACC, blind spot warning, lane departure warning, etc. See how they feel and when they operate. There is a lot of "stuff" coming at you when you are driving. It is good to gain experience in sorting all that out.

Again, congratulations. I am sure you will enjoy as the rest of us do!

Welcome! Don't worry, you'll learn everything intuitively. Just go through each forum under the Model S section first and work your way through. It will take a while to read this stuff, but just know all of it isn't necessary, but some of it can be fun! Here are some quick answers for you:

(1) Strategies for extending range: Drive 65mph or slower if you have a long-range mission; time your drives to avoid low temperatures; turn on Range mode (about 3% gain); and most of at ... EV Trip Planner. That calculator is extremely accurate. Overall though, you shouldn't have range problems. Once you get used to charging at home every night and occasional SC use, there will be no problem.

(2) Useful accessories: I have dual chargers, but not sure I use them very much. It's nice to have, but really not necessary considering SCs are far superior. I also am spoiled though because I live in the SF Bay Area where as of next month, there will be 8 SCs within 90 miles of me, including the mothership (Fremont Factory). I particularly enjoyed tinting the windows with heat rejection film, but I don't like limo-dark tint so mine is more subtle at 70 fronts and 55 rears. I also have red brake calipers from Tesla Model S Aftermarket Accessories by EVannex. I didn't get many other accessories because the car has a minimalist aesthetic, so I kept it that way.

(3) Compatible technologies (hardware and software): The mobile app on the iphone and android platforms are pretty good. There is a lot of buzz here on this one though:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...pp-for-Apple-Watch-iPhone-iPad-and-iPod-Touch

(4) Preventative maintenance: There isn't mucn you need to do. Tesla recommends you bring it in once a year, but it's not required. This is a much simpler and more elegant machine than an ICE.

(5) How to find the best public charging stations: This one is easy ... PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car!

(6) How to link up with other Tesla owners and the like: This forum is great for the more serious owners who like having a spirited, but polite debate on issues. The Tesla forums (the company's site) is less informative and full of drama, but sometimes entertaining. For the in-person get-together event, check this out: w
ww.teslamotorsclub.com/connect/

Enjoy and welcome again.

- K

Hi Keith,

Welcome. I didn't meet you yesterday, but I was there when you picked it up and I helped with some of the prep work. I love that color.

Below are some resources that I give out to new owners in the area. I'm in Issaquah, you could also PM me for local questions.

Tesla Resources

• 877-79T-ESLA from Owner’s Manual. Roadside Assistance, Service, and Technical Support
  • On July 18, the Seattle Service Center will have a seminar for new owners. Email to come
  • There is a full manual inside the car. Press CONTROLS, SETTINGS, Manual, Owner’s Manual
  • Forums. Support | Tesla Motors
  • Videos. Support | Tesla Motors

Other Resources

Other opinions welcome, but I have found that Tesla service is so amazing I'm glad I bought extended warranty and the pre-paid service plan. I took delivery in March 2013 and have had a few early adopter glitches that were handled smoothly and professionally. And every time I've taken my car in, I see extra upgrades included under warranty that I didn't know about just to give me improvements that were made in subsequent manufacturing line upgrades. And little things that I didn't notice broken or that might have been broken by the body shop that fixed my car up after a fender bender (yes, other driver texting) - all repaired as "good will."

The fact that my "now discontinued" model is still improving (software and hardware) brings back the "good as new" feeling constantly.

Can't believe your VIN is in the 90K range!
Congrats and enjoy!! :)

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Join us at TMC Connect too, you'll learn a TON and meet some great people.

Thanks all for the great quick response, including a very helpful private message. I have watched the walk-through video and the video interface overview. I will continue to read everything, but there is so much here it's slow going and I don't want to miss out on all the Tesla & EV due to excess volume. The straw-to-the-fire-hydrant analogy is apt.

Keep sending great ideas for a noob . . .

Keith

Check out the "Must Have Accesories" thread for some items too. Thought rad all pages before ordering. I put in there a strong recommendation for the Diono Travel Pal, but that's because my car does NOT have yacht flooring (all new cars do). When I put mine in a car with the yacht flooring, I had to remove my recommendation. But there is a divider for the trunk that I absolutely love linked in that thread too!