Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S roof rack from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just spoke with Whisbar. Seems like Tesla bought up Whisbar's entire available stock of roof racks in order to stock their own store. Seems kind of a weird way to do it... So I would think these are being shipped to some Tesla distribution center and then will be available to order soon.

Also they told me that the WB200 (Whisbar specific) bike carrier won't be available directly through them until March (looks like it is available through online retailers, though). The WB300 ski mount is available now.

Last edited:
It is possible to put a roof rck on without the pano roof, right? For example using adapters that clamp on, as with other cars? Not as pretty a solution, I'm sure, but would still work, I assume... Or am I missing something?
Thanks!

What would you clamp them to? Not being a smartass, it's a serious question.
My understanding (I've never done this, though) is that Yakima/others sell clamps that basically clamp onto the roof at the door locations. Yakima sells things meant for "naked roofs", such as these:
Q Towers | Yakima
I have not seen posts that anyone has actually used such a system on a naked Tesla roof, although I don't see why it can't be done.

In my case, I will not normally use a roof rack (I haven't in years), but am not sure I want to upgrade to the pano roof just for the possibility of being able to put a roof rack up there.

My understanding (I've never done this, though) is that Yakima/others sell clamps that basically clamp onto the roof at the door locations. Yakima sells things meant for "naked roofs", such as these:
Q Towers | Yakima
I have not seen posts that anyone has actually used such a system on a naked Tesla roof, although I don't see why it can't be done.

In my case, I will not normally use a roof rack (I haven't in years), but am not sure I want to upgrade to the pano roof just for the possibility of being able to put a roof rack up there.
Those aren't completely generic, though. You need "vehicle-specific Q clips" in order for it to work. I'm not sure any tower that involves the top of the door will work on a car with frameless doors.

I haven't noticed anyone post about installing a roof rack on a car with the solid roof. I'm not sure it's ever been done.

The frameless window frame where the Q-Clips would normally go do not have the proper angle for them to grip. Additionally, why would Yakima create a Q-Clip to allow people to use the "normal" rack system when they can make more money from the "premium" Whispbar system? ;)

I already have the crossbars and locks from my last car, so I've ordered the control towers and landing pads for less than $200. I'll post pics once they're installed.

I'd hope they'd make a Q-clip so that people without the pano roof can put a roof rack up there!
The frameless window frame where the Q-Clips would normally go do not have the proper angle for them to grip. Additionally, why would Yakima create a Q-Clip to allow people to use the "normal" rack system when they can make more money from the "premium" Whispbar system? ;)

I already have the crossbars and locks from my last car, so I've ordered the control towers and landing pads for less than $200. I'll post pics once they're installed.

Mine arrived already, sooner than I expected. Assembly is at Rubik's level and I have a feeling that Google Translate was at least partially responsible for the English instructions; couldn't get it finished this afternoon so will try to complete tomorrow. Quality looks good though.

I might order these. It's a bit expensive though. $519 for the rails and the whispbar site shows the cargo container at $999. Total ~$1500+. Given that I have 2 kids in the back seats, and 2 female pit bulls taking up the trunk, it's actually been a tight fit already on some trips I've taken (thank god for the Frunk! we would have needed to take an ICE if we didn't have the frunk!). but now I have a 3rd kid on his way this summer. I could have used the extra space already, so this might be my first purchase from the Tesla store as soon as the containers are ready.

Here's my Whisbar ski mount. Very happy with it. Wind noise, on this calm day was not that noticeable at all.
e4a7ajyd.jpg

Can we order this from Whispbar direct...many Whispbar dealers offer the same style rack for $449 with 20-30% discount. It still is not listed on the Whispbar website but assume they will have it soon. Not sure if they will keep the same price as Tesla. I am in no rush so will probably wait it out..