Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3P - Body shop issues addressing due bill concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I wanted to share my delivery experience and get suggestions on next steps. I picked up my new M3P a month ago which had two issues present on delivery: a decent sized scratch and dent from damage during the delivery, and wind noise from the driver side window -- constant whooshing noise that made it seem like the window was always down just a bit. Tesla said they'd fix both for free as 'due bill' issues.

Almost three weeks later, I just got the car back from service. Fortunately, they provided me with a loaner or it would have been difficult to be without a car this long since I live pretty far out of the city. The scratch/dent was fixed, but the car came back with white paint splotches all over the front bumper. Also, the wind noise is the same and not improved at all. Seeing as whatever shop performed the service did a crap job, I'm wondering if I can get this work done at a Tesla certified shop of my choosing and have Tesla foot the bill. The service center said they sent my car to a body shop for work, but they aren't saying who did it. Really, I just don't want to waste any more time on this shop and go to a different place, but it's been a hassle communicating with the non-existent service lines at the Atlanta-Kennesaw location.

Appreciate any suggestions on how to move forward and not waste too much more time on these issues. Thanks.

tesla paint damage.JPG

Least time spent to fix this issue would be to go buy a clay bar kit yourself and just clean this crap up in about 5 minutes.

Of course you're right to want Tesla to fix this issue, it shouldn't cost you out of pocket or add work for youself. IMO, it'd be less time and hassle to just clean this up yourself rather than going to the service center and waste even more time.

As for the wind noise, if I were you I'd make another service request.

Least time spent to fix this issue would be to go buy a clay bar kit yourself and just clean this crap up in about 5 minutes.

Of course you're right to want Tesla to fix this issue, it shouldn't cost you out of pocket or add work for you. IMO, it'd be less time and hassle to just clean this up yourself rather than going to the service center and waste even more time.

As for the wind noise, if I were you I'd make another service request.
Agreed on the paint part. I did try to clean it with a clay bar kit but can't get it off. Maybe I'm not pressing hard enough, but also worried about damaging the paint around the white spots.

The white stuff looks like paint splatter from a nearby car. This is not uncommon as those bodyshop folks sling paint around like a chimpanzee throwing poo. Bring it by and they'll scrub it right off for you. It'll come off easily without damage.

Wind noise is a standard feature. If you have bonus wind noise, look from the outside to see how well your window aligns with the center pillar and how much contact it is making with the weatherstrip. A garden hose will highlight the leaks, which should be surprisingly evident, but normally not quite all the way thru the seal. Tesla will adjust the window alignment and/or seal accordingly.

And check that the shiny black plastic triangle inboard of the side mirror is secure, sometimes they aren't fitted correctly and will make a lot of noise.

The white stuff looks like paint splatter from a nearby car. This is not uncommon as those bodyshop folks sling paint around like a chimpanzee throwing poo. Bring it by and they'll scrub it right off for you. It'll come off easily without damage.

Wind noise is a standard feature. If you have bonus wind noise, look from the outside to see how well your window aligns with the center pillar and how much contact it is making with the weatherstrip. A garden hose will highlight the leaks, which should be surprisingly evident, but normally not quite all the way thru the seal. Tesla will adjust the window alignment and/or seal accordingly.

And check that the shiny black plastic triangle inboard of the side mirror is secure, sometimes they aren't fitted correctly and will make a lot of noise.
Thanks for the suggestions -- I'll see what a garden hose reveals tomorrow. Tesla adjusted it already, for what it's worth.