Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Jalopnik hit piece? Fair and balanced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Tesla S P85 for about two months now and I can easily say this is by far the most enjoyable car I've ever owned! No question that it has had some of the anomalies discussed, but they have all been quickly addressed and none have had any safety effect at all. The most important issue that is outstanding is the negative effect that cold weather has on the car so far. I think a good rule of thumb (for now) is to not count on more than 175 miles for any trip without recharging in cold weather. And that's with the 85kwh battery. If drivers follow that guideline I think they can drive in any temperature and road conditions without worry. That guideline fits my lifestyle just fine. For anyone that has any doubt about this car, just drive one and you will be hooked. It really is that amazing!

Today is my final day to Finalize with 2012 pricing and to be honest, this article is giving me pause. Now I'm a technologist and TSLA fanboy but this really is making me wonder if waiting a year for all these issues to be resolved would be the prudent move rather than being a "field Beta tester"? I was surprised to learn that there are 53 processors ... hope Tesla has developed a robust failover architecture. What happens if after 4 years when car is out of warranty one of the CPU dies ... you can't even turn the car on or access basic functions which can only be done through the touch screen?

Hit piece indeed. The press smells blood. Highlighting only the reports of glitches (most of them with earlier firmware versions) is like scanning through reviews in Yelp and only reading the negative ones.

Don't be fooled. I have had my Model S for two weeks now and zero issues. It's performed flawlessly so far. Best car period.

Today is my final day to Finalize with 2012 pricing and to be honest, this article is giving me pause. Now I'm a technologist and TSLA fanboy but this really is making me wonder if waiting a year for all these issues to be resolved would be the prudent move rather than being a "field Beta tester"? I was surprised to learn that there are 53 processors ... hope Tesla has developed a robust failover architecture. What happens if after 4 years when car is out of warranty one of the CPU dies ... you can't even turn the car on or access basic functions which can only be done through the touch screen?

Two words. Extended. Warranty.

The price is not unreasonable for 8 years of full coverage.

For that matter, waiting a year isn't going to debug the issue you mention. Based on your own criteria we won't know for 4 (or more) years how reliable the physical components and CPUs are. The vast bulk of other issues are software, and many drivers don't seem to experience much beyond very occasional minor quirks.

Jalopnik is looking hard at the squeaky wheel here. And even the squeekiest wheels appear to love the heck out of their cars.

There's nothing special about having 53 processors. All cars, in fact most machines these days have dozens of embedded processors.

The press smells blood..

this is it EXACTLY.

after the nearly religious-like great reviews... the only thing that will generate page-hits (for both NYT and Jalopnik) is to tear the king down.

the NYT article was about the most disingenuous and sensationalist "journalism" i have seen in a long time. no surprise that the low-class automotive ambulance chaser is there to clean up any scraps.

keep your eye on the ball, folks...

Jalopnik article with lots of posts from users in this forum !!

The Tesla Model S Is The Worlds Most Expensive Beta Test

Already being discussed: New Jalopnik hit piece? Fair and balanced?

- - - Updated - - -

These people can't stop us. Our car is better. I still (in spite of anything) absolutely can not wait to get mine. They're like a bunch of old people down at Del Boca Vista with nothing to do but go around and see if your garage door is open, or your dog weighs more than 20 pounds.

I simply can not wait to tell anyone and everyone about my car,and let them see it and ride in it and drive it. I can not wait to drive by gas stations and run my MS on sunlight. They can not stop us.

Did I mention I can not wait?

Ah crap these guys included a forum post from me. I responded:

I am Doug_G, referenced in the article as having a touchscreen problem. The problem reported has been fixed. No biggie. Is cherry-picking old news from an Internet forum what passes for journalism these days? How about actually contacting the poster for some actual feedback.

I have done multiple 300+ kilometer trips (190 miles) on one charge in some extreme Canadian conditions. The car is performing wonderfully. It is so smooth and responsive! I am extremely pleased. This car is kick-ass.