Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New experience and cancelled my order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car, rather than the process of obtaining the car, is Tesla's strength right now. That's the reality of a highly pressured, fast changing car company that's trying to do the impossible while under attack from every possible direction. Either you deal with an imperfect buying process for a week or two and enjoy the car for many years or you don't.

Reactions: Corbets and posity
Never do a trade-in for another car. Sell it private party. Once that is over, then concentrate on getting the best car for your money. For me, I have been looking in the Las Vegas region as they seem to have the best cars. I was ready to pull the trigger on a late 2014 model year Model S with autopilot for $34K, but it was sold almost immediately.

Best of luck! Do not give up - these are the best vehicles to drive.

Brent

Reactions: PrGrPa
How could you possibly convince yourself that a leased vehicle would have trade-in value? You're paying to borrow someone else's car. It has zero trade-in value as it isn't yours to sell.
well, I did think that it was impossible but when the sale rep continues to tell me that he is so sure and they don't have a used car sales department and they just buy it out... and so on and so on... I just got convinced that Tesla must have something different... Specially when it was in my favor.

The car, rather than the process of obtaining the car, is Tesla's strength right now. That's the reality of a highly pressured, fast changing car company that's trying to do the impossible while under attack from every possible direction. Either you deal with an imperfect buying process for a week or two and enjoy the car for many years or you don't.
Thanks

yes, I think I will soon recover from the experience and have a second go little later in the year. Maybe different location but I will be ready next time.

This may be the smarter move. I went through a few sales people myself when acquiring our vehicle. After being escalated to a manager that still failed in their responsibilities, I simply switched to a different location. At the end of the day, there was only one service center the vehicle was going to be delivered so it didn't really matter which place in either state I bought it.

If there had been a competitor, I would have been driven to them by the sales people. For whatever it is worth, the car ownership itself has made the hassle of getting it more than an equitable trade. It is truly phenomenal.

How could you possibly convince yourself that a leased vehicle would have trade-in value? You're paying to borrow someone else's car. It has zero trade-in value as it isn't yours to sell.

Agreed. And the dealer does not even own the vehicle, the manufacturer does, This why you never payoff the car at the dealer, always direct to the corporate lease holder. The dealer will often add a "fee" to the payoff.

This may be the smarter move. I went through a few sales people myself when acquiring our vehicle. After being escalated to a manager that still failed in their responsibilities, I simply switched to a different location. At the end of the day, there was only one service center the vehicle was going to be delivered so it didn't really matter which place in either state I bought it.

If there had been a competitor, I would have been driven to them by the sales people. For whatever it is worth, the car ownership itself has made the hassle of getting it more than an equitable trade. It is truly phenomenal.

Thanks for sharing, icing on the cake was when I cancelled the order I get a text saying my delivery window was from 2/22 - 3/22. My sales rep told me I would be driving it by end of Jan.

I just think, he did whatever he can to get me to commit and put my deposit down since he and I both know that it is a great product. Just not very ethical....

This all seems odd. The OP has 20 car purchases but didn't understand some simple basics that apply to all car purchases (not just Tesla). And then the OP joined this forum solely to post about his experience. I don't know...

I agree with the sentiment that Tesla has a lot of work to do for the average car buying consumer (although I would have expected the transaction involve a 3 and not a X). However, in my lifetime I have bought 9 cars prior to my current S. While Tesla is not perfect, those prior 9 transactions were excruciating. I know Tesla is not perfect, but I find it hard to believe that over 20 vehicle purchases prior, the OP thought this was the worst.

It can happen for sure

A leased car will always have a option to purchase the vehicle from the lessor

Maybe it's actually a decent lease with a low residual and lessee does not drive the car much during the lease

If he can get a trade in amount over the option to buy the different will be his

It took me 9 months to come back and order my Model X.
Not going to trade in my car, buying a car in their inventory, and different Tesla dealer...
Hope it all goes as planned.

Just read your entire thread. I'm glad to hear that you're back and have ordered. Really do think you will like driving the car. And do hope that the purchase end goes much better for you than first go. I'll chime in that we now have two Teslas as our daily drivers and still love our cars and have no desire to own anything else. Like others have expressed, best cars we've owned.

As to Telsa and Carmax, FWIW back in 2017 my husband was told to go to get a quote from Carmax, which we did, and Carmax came in higher. And Tesla did match the higher number. Having been through the Carmax experience, I think I can understand why. They seemed pretty thorough with their inspection process before giving you a quote that at that point in time (one week leeway I think) they are pretty sure they can still sell to wholesalers and make some money off of it (all depends on demand in the market for that car and trim with mileage and condition). They don't pressure you to buy another car like a dealership might if you wanted to do a trade-in with them. They'd probably offer you more given you'd spend the money at that dealership. Anyway we decided at that point that with Tesla matching Carmax it would be simplier to do the trade-in with Telsa instead of going back to Carmax, but was impressed with their operation.

Now second go around, this time with my ICE car, we ended up just selling it to Carmax even though we had a very low $ trade-in amount (Avalon was in good condition rather low mileage but 17 years old) just decided to be done with it. I'm sure we could have gotten a few thousand more based on used car prices we saw, but didn't want to sell it on our own. Carmax did all the paperwork transfers and we walked out with the check. Something to be said for that too. We knew the check was good and no hassles with DMV down the road getting title transferred. The whole experience there from appointment, inspection, paperwork and check in hand probably took 2-3 hours I think. They were very organized and professional. But going in to my Model 3 purchase without a trade-in we felt would simplify the delivery and my Model 3 delivery last September did go smoothly.

So what exactly did you order? What is your wait time? Delivery of both of our cars was slightly ahead of what was estimated so keep that in mind. Think a lot of it just depends on who is ready to take delivery of the batch of cars produced at that point in time and as to inventory how many new buyers jump in at that point of time looking for what you ordered. First to take delivery gets assigned the car.

Will follow your thread looking to hear how it goes this time around.

Reactions: PrGrPa