Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New book coming from Eric Berger in late 2024; Falcon 9 history and development

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NSF interview with Eric Berger, he says that he is writing a new book about the history of the development of the F9, book is mostly complete, will be released in about a year from now. Looking forward to it! His book “Lift Off” about the early years of SpaceX and the F1 was excellent.
I'm powering through this for Berger's insights, but man Jack is a terrible interviewer.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
I'm powering through this for Berger's insights, but man Jack is a terrible interviewer.
Agreed. He rambles, he’s unfocused, he trips over his own verbiage; he can’t ask a simple, direct question. I just wanted him to stop talking!

Although I find the NSF videos generally useful for keeping up with Starbase activities, most (not all) of the web hosts do not add to the information stream but detract from it. In this age of “anyone can be a social media personality” the importance of clear, informed, concise commentary has been lost.

Agreed. He rambles, he’s unfocused, he trips over his own verbiage; he can’t ask a simple, direct question. I just wanted him to stop talking!

Although I find the NSF videos generally useful for keeping up with Starbase activities, most (not all) of the web hosts do not add to the information stream but detract from it. In this age of “anyone can be a social media personality” the importance of clear, informed, concise commentary has been lost.

Agree 100%. Ask a simple question and then stop talking until the guest stops talking. How hard is that? The worst offense is interrupting the guest with some lame joke comment that popped into your head. The joke is lame, and whatever the heck the guest was saying is 100 times more valuable.

It seems that interviewing is indeed an art, but it just seems so easy, but what do I know.

So, since I couldn’t listen to the whole thing, did you guys get anything interesting from the interview?

Reactions: Grendal
Not really... I only got through about 60% so far... I had it on while I was doing other stuff, and the interview was hectic enough that I probably didn't register half of what was being said... but on the occasions where Berger did speak long enough with interruption for me to focus... nothing groundbreaking I recall...

Reactions: Grendal
It seems that interviewing is indeed an art, but it just seems so easy, but what do I know.
Interviewing someone is not difficult. If you've ever talked to someone who had something interesting about them, you were interviewing them. You didn't spend time talking because you wanted to know what they had to say. Jack is trying to use the Joe Rogan approach, where the drama of the interview itself is part of the appeal. Happily, there is only one Joe Rogan. Sadly, Jack doesn't know that.

Interviewing someone is not difficult. If you've ever talked to someone who had something interesting about them, you were interviewing them. You didn't spend time talking because you wanted to know what they had to say. Jack is trying to use the Joe Rogan approach, where the drama of the interview itself is part of the appeal. Happily, there is only one Joe Rogan. Sadly, Jack doesn't know that.
When an interviewee is on a roll, Rogan knows when to shut up. He also rarely actually interrupts someone. Yes, he can get going on a roll himself and talk too much, but that's usually well into the second hour when the spliff and tequilla have hit.

Reactions: JB47394