Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2023 Model Y owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. My wife and I recently purchased our first Tesla. We were very excited about the idea of an EV so we pulled the trigger. It has been less than a week and we are having second thoughts on the decision so I'm looking for some advice. It could very well be that we just need to learn how to use the car and get used to it. Here are a few issues we are having:

• The car makes a buzzing high pitch sound when you drive it. Like that of an electric motor spinning up. Yes, we get it, the car has electric motors. But we test-drove one, my friend has two of them and neither one make that noise. Is it going away after a while?
  • For the first few days, the AC system was working randomly. At some point, the AC system would not work AT ALL! I ended up resetting the computer by holding the two steering wheel buttons down and that seems to have fixed the AC issue.
  • The first time we charged the car at a supercharger it cost us $11 to go from 32% to 69%. The charge slowed down so much, we had to leave. We went home and parked the car in the garage. The next morning, I open the garage and noticed it to be hotter than normal and the car is making a noise. I get in the car and it is very hot inside as well. I then realize the battery is down to 32%!!! I was like, WTH!
  • Last night, similar issue. This time, we charged the car to 80% for $20! and it dropped to 70% by this morning. The only difference is that I ended up taking the car out of the garage last night as I think the issue has to do with the battery cooling system trying to cool down the battery and since the garage is hot (summer in California), the pump just can't do its job??? What do you think?

I hope this is just a learning curve as we are very frustrated by all these issues.

Thank you.

I can understand that would be frustrating. I'm new too but a few things you might check on the battery drain:
  1. Check your Cabin Overheat settings. Off/Fan only/AC. Obviously if you have that on and the car's parked in a really hot spot, it essentially is going to be running the fan and/or the AC virtually non-stop. Either turn this off/turn it down or plug the car in at home.
  2. Do you have Sentry Mode enabled? This takes a lot of power, it's essentially continuously recording/processing object detection on multiple cameras simultaneously. I have mine set to not be active at home, that way it doesn't run when I don't need it.
I think there's a way you can check your energy usage in the car to see what exactly has been consuming power over some period of time but I'm not sure.

I can understand that would be frustrating. I'm new too but a few things you might check on the battery drain:
  1. Check your Cabin Overheat settings. Off/Fan only/AC. Obviously if you have that on and the car's parked in a really hot spot, it essentially is going to be running the fan and/or the AC virtually non-stop. Either turn this off/turn it down or plug the car in at home.
  2. Do you have Sentry Mode enabled? This takes a lot of power, it's essentially continuously recording/processing object detection on multiple cameras simultaneously. I have mine set to not be active at home, that way it doesn't run when I don't need it.
I think there's a way you can check your energy usage in the car to see what exactly has been consuming power over some period of time but I'm not sure.
Sentry mode is off and I have checked that the AC and cabin fans are off. The only thing that was running constantly was the battery cooling pump which I can't turn off.

I have a fairly new MY as well (3 weeks old) and haven't experienced those problems so it definitely seems like either something is misconfigured, or something is malfunctioning. I would raise all these concerns to the service department.

The car makes a buzzing high pitch sound when you drive it. Like that of an electric motor spinning up. Yes, we get it, the car has electric motors. But we test-drove one, my friend has two of them and neither one make that noise. Is it going away after a while?
I've never noticed this noise. I'd suggest recording the noise and posting it here for others to comment on. You can also attach a video of it to the service request to document the noise.

The first time we charged the car at a supercharger it cost us $11 to go from 32% to 69%. The charge slowed down so much, we had to leave. We went home and parked the car in the garage. The next morning, I open the garage and noticed it to be hotter than normal and the car is making a noise. I get in the car and it is very hot inside as well. I then realize the battery is down to 32%!!! I was like, WTH!
So the supercharger will slow down as the battery state of charge (SOC) increases - this is normal. Initially, at like 20% SOC, you will get very high rates (e.g., 1000 mph charging) and that will slow down gradually as your SOC increases. This is driven by the battery chemistry and is why the recommendation is basically to charge to 80% and then leave. The last 20% (e.g., from 80% SOC to 100% SOC) is really slow.

I'm not sure why you are losing 37% battery overnight. That's crazy. Did you look in the energy app in the car and see anything that is out of line?

Last night, similar issue. This time, we charged the car to 80% for $20! and it dropped to 70% by this morning. The only difference is that I ended up taking the car out of the garage last night as I think the issue has to do with the battery cooling system trying to cool down the battery and since the garage is hot (summer in California), the pump just can't do its job??? What do you think?

Again, I'm new myself, but I believe there is a battery heating and cooling system that does keep the battery at a decent temp, but I don't think that would drain your battery that much unless your garage is like 110F or something like that or unless it was malfunctioning (perhaps that's the problem?). Lots of other Tesla owners in California that don't seem to have experienced these issues.

If you go under the Service menu, are there any error codes?

I hope you can figure this out.

Hello everyone. My wife and I recently purchased our first Tesla. We were very excited about the idea of an EV so we pulled the trigger. It has been less than a week and we are having second thoughts on the decision so I'm looking for some advice. It could very well be that we just need to learn how to use the car and get used to it. Here are a few issues we are having:

• The car makes a buzzing high pitch sound when you drive it. Like that of an electric motor spinning up. Yes, we get it, the car has electric motors. But we test-drove one, my friend has two of them and neither one make that noise. Is it going away after a while?
  • For the first few days, the AC system was working randomly. At some point, the AC system would not work AT ALL! I ended up resetting the computer by holding the two steering wheel buttons down and that seems to have fixed the AC issue.
  • The first time we charged the car at a supercharger it cost us $11 to go from 32% to 69%. The charge slowed down so much, we had to leave. We went home and parked the car in the garage. The next morning, I open the garage and noticed it to be hotter than normal and the car is making a noise. I get in the car and it is very hot inside as well. I then realize the battery is down to 32%!!! I was like, WTH!
  • Last night, similar issue. This time, we charged the car to 80% for $20! and it dropped to 70% by this morning. The only difference is that I ended up taking the car out of the garage last night as I think the issue has to do with the battery cooling system trying to cool down the battery and since the garage is hot (summer in California), the pump just can't do its job??? What do you think?

I hope this is just a learning curve as we are very frustrated by all these issues.

Thank you.
I do not have a high pitch buzzing sound in either of my cars. The electric whine of the motors are apparent though. You already have an appointment for your AC, let Tesla diagnose it. I would not be surprised if something with the AC was delivered malfunctioning.

What noise are you referring to when you said "I open the garage and noticed it to be hotter than normal and the car is making a noise"?

Regarding the price of supercharging, I can't tell if you are happy or upset with the pricing? Supercharging is not cheap to me, but my home electricity is. If I could only supercharge, I would have sold my car a long time ago!

Your car dropping from 69% to 32% is strange. You need to make sure you have sentry off ENTIRELY for your home. I have to set my home and work to my house to get sentry to disable because it thinks my driveway is another address. I keep sentry off at my home on ALL my profiles, and make sure cabin overheat protection is off as well (I don't want to waste energy cooling a car with no one in it). Also keep in mind that checking your Tesla app wakes the car and uses energy. I used to just click on my app all the time until I realized this!

Also, why do you think the battery cooling system is trying to cool the battery if the car is off, and hasn't been driven overnight?

Reactions: Olle

Thank you.
I too have a 2023 Model Y and don’t have any of the issues you spoke of. I charge at home and have never needed a SuperCharger so I can’t speak to that issue.
  • Tesla’s (EV’s in general) make a noise below 15 mph to warn pedestrians. Is that what you are hearing? Above 15 mph I don’t hear anything.
  • If not plugged in, my MY looses about 1% of it’s charge overnight in the garage. Everything is turned off. You have something misconfigured and need to turn it off. Make sure you are running on the current code, new my MY updated twice in the first 48 hours.
  • I did leave it at the airport for 5 days in June with the Sentry Mode on. It lost about 4% per day.
  • Twice I’ve had an issue with the A/C system, it was working but not very good. Both times it was user error.
  • Fans do start and stop when it’s in the garage, that’s normal. I’m in the Inland Empire so it hotter here than where you are. When I enter the garage each morning a fan starts and runs for less that a minute while I roll up the charger cable. I don’t get it, but it’s normal.
  • If you thought an EV was going to save money on fuel you were wrong (Me too). Charging my MY costs about $205 a month. My Sonata Hybrid (not a plug in) used about $220 a month in fuel. My commute has not changed.
    • Install a Tesla Wall Charger in your garage, it will pay for itself quickly.
Reviewed: Is Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector Tesla's Best Charger?Reviewed: Is Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector Tesla's Best Charger?

Last edited:
Reactions: retbesla
I do not have a high pitch buzzing sound in either of my cars. The electric whine of the motors are apparent though. You already have an appointment for your AC, let Tesla diagnose it. I would not be surprised if something with the AC was delivered malfunctioning.

What noise are you referring to when you said "I open the garage and noticed it to be hotter than normal and the car is making a noise"? I guess it was the battery cooling pump running.

Regarding the price of supercharging, I can't tell if you are happy or upset with the pricing? Supercharging is not cheap to me, but my home electricity is. If I could only supercharge, I would have sold my car a long time ago!

Your car dropping from 69% to 32% is strange. You need to make sure you have sentry off ENTIRELY for your home. I have to set my home and work to my house to get sentry to disable because it thinks my driveway is another address. I keep sentry off at my home on ALL my profiles, and make sure cabin overheat protection is off as well (I don't want to waste energy cooling a car with no one in it). Also keep in mind that checking your Tesla app wakes the car and uses energy. I used to just click on my app all the time until I realized this!

Also, why do you think the battery cooling system is trying to cool the battery if the car is off, and hasn't been driven overnight?
Thank you for your reply here are the answers to your questions:

Regarding the sound in the morning, I'm almost sure it was the battery cooling pump. I guess it run all night and therefore the battery was back down to 37%.

The supercharger cost seems highTBH. I don't think the price per KWH is higher for your home. I'm installing a level III charger this week at home.

Yes, Sentry is off and I have not added any apps to the car.

As for the battery pump running, it is because I have charged it at night and go straight home. The battery gets hot when you supercharge it and since II park the car in the garage, which is VERT hot, the battery does not have a chance to cool down. That is my logic.

I too have a 2023 Model Y and don’t have any of the issues you spoke of. I charge at home and have never needed a SuperCharger so I can’t speak to that issue.
  • Tesla’s (EV’s in general) make a noise below 15 mph to warn pedestrians. Is that what you are hearing? Above 15 mph I don’t hear anything.
  • If not plugged in, my MY looses about 1% of it’s charge overnight in the garage. Everything is turned off. You have something misconfigured and need to turn it off. Make sure you are running on the current code, new my MY updated twice in the first 48 hours.
  • I did leave it at the airport for 5 days in June with the Sentry Mode on. It lost about 4% per day.
  • Twice I’ve had an issue with the A/C system, it was working but not very good. Both times it was user error.
  • Fans do start and stop when it’s in the garage, that’s normal. I’m in the Inland Empire so it hotter here than where you are. When I enter the garage each morning a fan starts and runs for less that a minute while I roll up the charger cable. I don’t get it, but it’s normal.
  • If you thought an EV was going to save money on fuel you were wrong (Me too). Charging my MY costs about $205 a month. My Sonata Hybrid (not a plug in) used about $220 a month in fuel. My commute has not changed.
    • Install a Tesla Wall Charger in your garage, it will pay for itself quickly.
Reviewed: Is Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector Tesla's Best Charger?'s Best Charger?View attachment 965481
No, it is not the sound for pedestrians. It is more of a whining sound of the motors.

The sound I hear is loud and it run all night the first time. The second time it only run for maybe an hour. And it cannot be normal. The site does not allow me to upload the recording.

None of what you described sounds normal for a Model Y at all. I picked up my 2023 MYLR in June and it doesn't make any high pitched buzzing sounds (outside of the pedestrian warning sound when in reverse), the AC works fine, and I've never had an unexpected drop in battery level overnight. It's parked overnight in our garage and plugged in and is quite silent most of the time. I've done a few supercharging sessions and they were all fine, as was the MYLR afterward.

I hope Tesla service can sort this out for you! This is definitely not how it's supposed to be.

Thank you for your reply here are the answers to your questions:

Regarding the sound in the morning, I'm almost sure it was the battery cooling pump. I guess it run all night and therefore the battery was back down to 37%.

The supercharger cost seems highTBH. I don't think the price per KWH is higher for your home. I'm installing a level III charger this week at home.

Yes, Sentry is off and I have not added any apps to the car.

As for the battery pump running, it is because I have charged it at night and go straight home. The battery gets hot when you supercharge it and since II park the car in the garage, which is VERT hot, the battery does not have a chance to cool down. That is my logic.
You will want to check your energy consumption graph, upload a picture on here so someone with more understanding than me can potentially try to make sense of why your battery is draining. This video can help you access it.

Another thing you can check if you think your battery is extremely hot (and therefore running the pumps constantly) is the battery coolant temp. This page here can help you access it.

Good luck!

Reactions: retbesla
Just to provide an update on the car. The issues with the AC and cooling pump running were both resolved. As for the high pitch noise, they said it is “normal”. I can’t understand how an EV makes more noise than a gas car and be deemed as normal. At best, the noise is very annoying, but TBH, I think this may be a problem waiting to happen!

Losing 37% over ~ 12 hours every day is definitely not normal. In fact it's so obscene that it should be easy for Tesla Service to observe and figure out what is happening.

If the noise is not the pedestrian noise and if it "makes more noise than a gas car," then video it and post it here. Otherwise, everyone here will just be guessing based on your vague description. Gas cars are very loud and this should be straightforward to get something so loud resolved.

Hope your issues resolve and you're able to enjoy your Tesla.

Just to provide an update on the car. The issues with the AC and cooling pump running were both resolved. As for the high pitch noise, they said it is “normal”. I can’t understand how an EV makes more noise than a gas car and be deemed as normal. At best, the noise is very annoying, but TBH, I think this may be a problem waiting to happen!
Hey, you've got our attention, so you'd better tell us how this issue was resolved. ;) 🤣

"High pitch noise"? We need a video/sound clip, or there's no way we can interpret what you say is a "high pitch noise."

FYI, I'm a (rare!) professional classical musician, in that I haven't lost any hearing, at age 69. There are zero drivetrain noises in my 46k mile 2021 MYLR that are disturbing. (The HVAC has a low frequency grumble that's annoying, when the car is still)

I have the high pitched noise at low speeds. Once I get past 30 MPH it either gets drown out from road noise or goes away, not really sure. Haven't been too bothered by it and have seen other owners have the same noise. I do remember a high pitched whine from the electric motors being an issue from other members that are audible even at higher speeds. Those people seemed to have had their motors replaced

I have the high pitched noise at low speeds. Once I get past 30 MPH it either gets drown out from road noise or goes away, not really sure. Haven't been too bothered by it and have seen other owners have the same noise. I do remember a high pitched whine from the electric motors being an issue from other members that are audible even at higher speeds. Those people seemed to have had their motors replaced
Not exactly. Those with high-pitched whines had a sound insulating seal replaced, which had been incorrectly installed.

Reactions: bigboi