Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model 3 and iPhone 12 pro max

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

As per previous threads I’m looking to place my order for a 2021 model 3 in due course but I’m also planning to upgrade my mobile to the iPhone 12 pro max and have just had a panic that it may not fit on the wireless charger in the car? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Teza

As previously mentioned, the Phone 12 and 12 Pro have been a bit dodgy, but an update was released yesterday which may fix it.

I’ve got a 12 Pro Max arriving in a week. I can test it in a Model 3, but it may not be an accurate test as the console and wireless charging bays have changed since I got my M3 in September.

You won’t really know for sure until the refreshed Model 3 arrives in the UK and the iPhone 12 Pro Max is available to test.

I actually use a wireless charger which mounts onto the screen and not the inbuilt ones as I like to run TomTom on my phone in addition to the standard Tesla sat nav

Thanks for the responses guys, I just wondered if anyone had a phone of a similar dimension that could confirm their phone charges ok?

I believe their are a few Samsung phones that are of a similar size.

Thanks for the responses guys, I just wondered if anyone had a phone of a similar dimension that could confirm their phone charges ok?

I believe their are a few Samsung phones that are of a similar size.
It sounds like the problem is more with apples solution to a problem that doesn't exist than with the charger itself.

However you may want to give pause if you're getting the pro max. I have a note 20 ultra which is a similar size and it's a REALLY tight fit to get it on to the oem charger. Any bigger or a bigger case and it wouldn't fit. It can also be a bit hit and miss connecting. 90% of the time its ok, but last week it took a lot of fiddling to get it to charge

• Love
Reactions: Bad Dolphin
The iPhone 12 Pro Max does appear to physically fit in a September 2020 Model 3. However I don’t know if it charges yet.

I was in a similar situation with a third party charger and wanted to check out the size as the dimensions on the charger were unclear so I bought a Nomad case for the new iPhone 12 Pro Max. The case arrived a few weeks ago and just about fits. Nomad cases aren’t the slimmest either, but have good drop protection.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Thanks for the responses so far. I’m thinking to just avoid the max and go with the pro. That way I have certainty it will work :)
When were you going to order? My new work phone will be a 12pro max and its coming at the end of the month. I could check for you.

The reason I ask is from the reviews I\ve seen the 12 Pro seems to be the wrong phone to get. If you really like the advanced features and use the camera, the pro max is very much better than it. If you don't need the ultimate and can cope with 4gb ram and a slightly less well featured camera the 12 is so much better than the Pro price wise. It seems the standard sized 12 pro is the one to avoid.

When were you going to order? My new work phone will be a 12pro max and its coming at the end of the month. I could check for you.

The reason I ask is from the reviews I\ve seen the 12 Pro seems to be the wrong phone to get. If you really like the advanced features and use the camera, the pro max is very much better than it. If you don't need the ultimate and can cope with 4gb ram and a slightly less well featured camera the 12 is so much better than the Pro price wise. It seems the standard sized 12 pro is the one to avoid.

yes please I would really appreciate that! Thank you

Reactions: Neilio
You could always charge it the old fashioned way in the car? Seems strange to dictate your phone size preference by the car, unless you’re going to be regularly charging it in there like that etc?

This. I use my phone far more than my Tesla right now. As long as I can charge my phone some in way in the car, if it was me I would not be worrying about whether the pro or the pro max wirelessly charges and just get the phone you prefer.

The iPhone 12 Pro Max does appear to physically fit in a September 2020 Model 3. However I don’t know if it charges yet.

I was in a similar situation with a third party charger and wanted to check out the size as the dimensions on the charger were unclear so I bought a Nomad case for the new iPhone 12 Pro Max. The case arrived a few weeks ago and just about fits. Nomad cases aren’t the slimmest either, but have good drop protection.

The iPhone 12 Pro Max does charge in a September 2020 delivered Model 3. However, it does not charge with the two cases that I have, a Nomad rugged and an Invisibleshield Clear case.

I think it’s a positional thing and there are a number of reported issues with the latest iPhones and wireless chargers and needing a more specific position on the charging mat or needing high spec charging bricks. A naked phone slides further down the charger as the shiny plastic trim at the bottom has a lip on it and the phone slides under the lip. The cases that I have have good drop protection but the bases are too thick to slide under the lip.

More importantly for me, I also have the same issue with my Topfit wireless charger. Although that’s vertically adjustable, it doesn’t appear to adjust enough for my cases but does work naked.

I may try an Apple case, I used to use these all the time but stopped due to the large cut outs on the bottom, but they have gone back to small cut outs on the bottom with better protection.

I can’t say what a refreshed Model 3 is like as that’s got a different console.