Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need for Tesla Advertising / PR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to buy my first EV. My personality makeup is that I research things to the point some say I'm obsessed. May be true but whatever decision I make you can say I'm informed. So, in thinking about a new car everything was on the table. EVs really wasn't in the mix. The usual stuff. No range. Road trip charging. Battery fires. You get the drift.

But I did my research on EVs. Range anxiety and road trip charging was easily dispelled. Battery fires more or less an urban myth. Hitting YouTube for EV reviews I came across a channel called Wham Baam Teslacam. There I saw some horrific accidents where the Tesla driver walked away while the other driver got a not so cheap helicopter ride to the ER. That nailed the safety aspect of a Tesla. After much deliberation Tesla checked all the boxes. Safe. Affordable. Plenty of superchargers for the road trips. Low cost of ownership. All the other EVs had something that was a no go.

When I told the wife I want a Tesla the first words out of her mouth? "You don't have $100,000 to buy a Tesla." That is why Tesla needs to advertise. Not so much a 'see the USA in your Chevrolet' but more infomercial. Start with range and the supercharger network. One attention getter would be no sound. Just an individual routing a trip from say Chicago to Kansas City. Fade to black. Text pops up. "Two hours later." Next scene stopping at a SC station for a charge and the individual walking into a store for a needed bio break. Fade to black. Text pops up. "15 minutes later." Next scene the individual drives off. Final fade to black. "Tesla Model Y. Under $40,000 after point of sale federal credit." Informs and promotes at the same time.

There is so much FUD surrounding EVs in general that a campaign to educate the public would be in all the car makers interest. If Tesla is the first to do this, especially when the Gen 3 $25,000 car comes out, watch the sales skyrocket.

I'm about to buy my first EV. My personality makeup is that I research things to the point some say I'm obsessed. May be true but whatever decision I make you can say I'm informed. So, in thinking about a new car everything was on the table. EVs really wasn't in the mix. The usual stuff. No range. Road trip charging. Battery fires. You get the drift.

But I did my research on EVs. Range anxiety and road trip charging was easily dispelled. Battery fires more or less an urban myth. Hitting YouTube for EV reviews I came across a channel called Wham Baam Teslacam. There I saw some horrific accidents where the Tesla driver walked away while the other driver got a not so cheap helicopter ride to the ER. That nailed the safety aspect of a Tesla. After much deliberation Tesla checked all the boxes. Safe. Affordable. Plenty of superchargers for the road trips. Low cost of ownership. All the other EVs had something that was a no go.

When I told the wife I want a Tesla the first words out of her mouth? "You don't have $100,000 to buy a Tesla." That is why Tesla needs to advertise. Not so much a 'see the USA in your Chevrolet' but more infomercial. Start with range and the supercharger network. One attention getter would be no sound. Just an individual routing a trip from say Chicago to Kansas City. Fade to black. Text pops up. "Two hours later." Next scene stopping at a SC station for a charge and the individual walking into a store for a needed bio break. Fade to black. Text pops up. "15 minutes later." Next scene the individual drives off. Final fade to black. "Tesla Model Y. Under $40,000 after point of sale federal credit." Informs and promotes at the same time.

There is so much FUD surrounding EVs in general that a campaign to educate the public would be in all the car makers interest. If Tesla is the first to do this, especially when the Gen 3 $25,000 car comes out, watch the sales skyrocket.

Do you think your wife just blocks off anything showing Tesla because of her preconceived notion that a Tesla costs $100k? If so, any amount of advertising would not change her mind.

Here is the first half of my next planned road trip in my old TM3…

IMG_1931.jpeg

Reactions: HankE-LA
Do you think your wife just blocks off anything showing Tesla because of her preconceived notion that a Tesla costs $100k? If so, any amount of advertising would not change her mind.
When the original Roadster came out it was $100k. She locked in on that and never gave Tesla or any other EV a second thought. For that matter until I did my research I thought an EV was way out my price range. It’s real simple. The infomercial I described above would give those sitting on the fence, or at least the curious, the impetus to dig a bit further.

Off topic a bit. We both are getting new cars. The MY I’m looking at is going to be several thousand dollars LESS than the Subaru Outback she’s ordering.

Major addition in bold:
  1. Booking and going on a test drive
  2. Ordering on-line, leasing
    1. No haggling - I think this is a huge benefit that is under appreciated
    2. Ordering on-line
    3. Leasing
    4. Loans
  3. What's different when you pickup car - screen, no buttons
  4. Superchargers, range
  5. Charging at home
  6. Impact on environment
  7. Safety