Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation issues with v6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been a major issue for me. Whenever I travel somewhere I don't know I do a reality check via google on my computer at home before I leave. The last 2 times I used the Tesla nav it started out with the exact route I came up with. Then it changed en-route! It was absolutely insane and WRONG. In one case the route had me circling into my destination - round and round until I got there. Yesterday it wanted to re-route me onto a freeway that was a LONG way off from my route telling me to travel on that freeway away from my destination the U-turn and head back. It seemed like a bad joke. On top of that the voice was telling me to get onto a different freeway than was stated on the written/text instructions. This thing is really screwed up and I'm thinking about getting a gps unit. Bummer.

* It continuously reevaluates the route as one travels it, and posts new routes whenever it computed an advantage, causing the distance and ETA to fluctuate wildly. Why not ask for approval for a proposed route and lock it in when approval is given? If approval is not given, why not ask what criteria apply? Minimum time, minimum distance, toll free, other?

While an improvement, Tesla drivers should only consider the current software as advice - not the best route.

The algorithm being used to determine routes has some flaws - and there are often better routes.

For example, on one of my frequent routes, there's a 2 mile bypass that's been added to avoid a stretch of surface street that has many stop lights. While the bypass is longer, because it has to swing around the area, it's always going to be faster - because it's highly unlikely to drive faster on a surface street with a 40MPH speed limit with multiple stop lights, than a 50% longer route at 55PMH.

So, I just ignore the advice.

What's interesting is the route will sometimes take the bypass, and a few minutes later, the route will be back on the surface streets - without any indication the route has been changed. (Blink and you miss the change!)

Surely the navigation software coming from the 3rd party (Garmin?) can do better than this...

While an improvement, Tesla drivers should only consider the current software as advice - not the best route.

The algorithm being used to determine routes has some flaws - and there are often better routes.

For example, on one of my frequent routes, there's a 2 mile bypass that's been added to avoid a stretch of surface street that has many stop lights. While the bypass is longer, because it has to swing around the area, it's always going to be faster - because it's highly unlikely to drive faster on a surface street with a 40MPH speed limit with multiple stop lights, than a 50% longer route at 55PMH.

So, I just ignore the advice.

What's interesting is the route will sometimes take the bypass, and a few minutes later, the route will be back on the surface streets - without any indication the route has been changed. (Blink and you miss the change!)

Surely the navigation software coming from the 3rd party (Garmin?) can do better than this...

I can agree with that while I am driving in my town. Since many of us are using Tesla's for road trips and travels, we are going into towns we don't know. I need to rely on the navigation in this scenario. Feels silly to have to check it on google maps also.

I was in a car with a 5 yr old Garmin gps that had options to avoid tolls, ferrys,highways. It worked perfectly, and told us when it was rerouting by saying "rerouting due to 5 minute delay" or something like that.

I have some issues with the navigation display on the main screen recently:

IMG_20141112_082003_zpsef664759.jpg

This kind of broken route seems to happen almost every time on the main display (the small display on the dash is OK) recently. Also the traffic info (coloring) is not active when this bug happens, cycling the traffic info display option off/on does not help either.

Anybody else has experienced it ?
Is there a way to 'reboot' the display software without losing all my settings (such as memory settings for seat/mirrors for multiple drivers) ?

Attachments

• 0ca5c024-7008-44f4-861d-df1829ef8f15_zpsb49980cd.jpg
    0ca5c024-7008-44f4-861d-df1829ef8f15_zpsb49980cd.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
do you mean another way besides holding down the 2 scroll buttons on the steering wheel for 20 seconds?
Doing that has solved most of my display issues and I have not lost any of my settings.

update: btw, that is some wierd routing..makes the routes I get look great.

Last edited:
do you mean another way besides holding down the 2 scroll buttons on the steering wheel for 20 seconds?
Doing that has solved most of my display issues and I have not lost any of my settings.

Thanks for the tip! I did not know that technique.
It seems to have fixed my problem, traffic colors are back and there was no crazy broken route on my way home.

The route offered by the navigation software should be considered advice - not necessarily the best route.

Or perhaps even the correct route. I had a whisky tango foxtrot moment with the nav yesterday; 6.0, new nav database.

I needed to go to the comcast store in Boulder. I knew where it was, but because it was on the other side of the street and I wanted to do the correct u-turn, I punched "comcast" into the nav screen. A pin in the correct spot appeared with the address of 2900 W Baseline Rd, Boulder, CO about a half mile away. I then tapped again for navigation. To my great surprise, it tried to lead me to 2900 W Baseline Rd, Louisville, CO, also in Boulder County, CO, but 2 miles away.

It was a good thing that I knew the area and noticed the bait and switch... :cursing:

Last night, hit a situation where the automatic re-routing resulted in one route being used by the navigation software on the dashboard, while the 17" display was displaying a completely different route...

Anyone concerned about how well the autopilot software will work???

Yikes! Good point. Glad to have the reality check that I am not the only one who had a 2 completely different routes, voice nav, in my case, vs 17" display. I didn't look at the dashboard to see if there was yet a 3rd option ...

I absolutely love my tesla and I'm amazed at how many things tesla does right so I just don't get what's going on here with the navigation. This is not new technology!

Last night, hit a situation where the automatic re-routing resulted in one route being used by the navigation software on the dashboard, while the 17" display was displaying a completely different route...

Anyone concerned about how well the autopilot software will work???

Thanks for all the confirmations. I'm glad to know I haven't been just too dumb to figure out the system, and that others are also seeing strange behaviors. I'm going to have a look at Teslatap for what they have and add the list of items you all have noted if they aren't there already...

Though I rarely need it, Tesla's nav system has been so quirky and unreliable, that we always run Google maps on my wife's iPhone as our primary nav system and just try to be amused at the Tesla's bizarre and frequently useless routing.

Last night we used it and experienced a new flaw as well as some of the previously reported problems. In addition to the route on the main screen being completely different than that on the instrument cluster (the cluster route was always correct), we departed from the proposed route (because it made no sense) and despite driving for ~4 miles and being over a mile from the original route, it would not re-route. OK, it's stubborn, I can live with that, but even when I would completely cancel navigation, close the screen, re-open navigation then re-search for our destination, it would only route from where I had originally started driving (work) and left us 1-2 miles off course with no route from where we actually were! Is this becasue we were driving while trying to set up a new route? Maybe, but I would prefer that it told us it was unable to navigate than to put up an irrelevant route and not bother to tell us how to get to that route.

The new bug is that at some intermediate zoom levels it would not show a blue route line on the main screen (the cluster always worked prpoerly). At some zoom levels it would only show a ble route line for a few blocks, and occasionally show a disconnected route as a poster above reported. I could neever zoom out enough to see the gernal route it wanted us to take (we were going about 12 miles). This was very frustrating because we wanted to know how silly was the route it was planning.

Though I rarely need it, Tesla's nav system has been so quirky and unreliable, that we always run Google maps on my wife's iPhone as our primary nav system and just try to be amused at the Tesla's bizarre and frequently useless routing.

Last night we used it and experienced a new flaw as well as some of the previously reported problems. In addition to the route on the main screen being completely different than that on the instrument cluster (the cluster route was always correct), we departed from the proposed route (because it made no sense) and despite driving for ~4 miles and being over a mile from the original route, it would not re-route. OK, it's stubborn, I can live with that, but even when I would completely cancel navigation, close the screen, re-open navigation then re-search for our destination, it would only route from where I had originally started driving (work) and left us 1-2 miles off course with no route from where we actually were! Is this becasue we were driving while trying to set up a new route? Maybe, but I would prefer that it told us it was unable to navigate than to put up an irrelevant route and not bother to tell us how to get to that route.

The new bug is that at some intermediate zoom levels it would not show a blue route line on the main screen (the cluster always worked prpoerly). At some zoom levels it would only show a ble route line for a few blocks, and occasionally show a disconnected route as a poster above reported. I could never zoom out enough to see the gernal route it wanted us to take (we were going about 12 miles). This was very frustrating because we wanted to know how silly was the route it was planning.
My Map update downloaded last Friday and I actually needed to use the Nav for a trip that evening. Experience exactly those issues. Missing segments of the blue route on the main screen, and different routes displaying on the main screen than the dash display (the dash being the accurate one). Since the dash was correct and the route was accurate I had no issues, but there are clearly some bugs in the new software.

I have also experienced some completely obviously silly advice when accepting the offer to navigate to work on a faster route. Many times it was picking longer routes that were all red (bad traffic) instead of going along the shorter (my usual) route that was mixed yellow/green. Furthermore, at one section is suggested to go around a block (3 sides, making left, 2x right and then left turn again, roughly triple the length) instead of going straight when there was no significant traffic straight ahead. It also does not seem to take into account the number of traffic lights when doing the 'optimized' time calculations. It often suggest routes that I know have lots of traffic lights and therefore will take significantly longer than the projected time, when alternative route exists with much fewer traffic lights.

My Map update downloaded last Friday and I actually needed to use the Nav for a trip that evening. Experience exactly those issues. Missing segments of the blue route on the main screen, and different routes displaying on the main screen than the dash display (the dash being the accurate one). Since the dash was correct and the route was accurate I had no issues, but there are clearly some bugs in the new software.

Wow, was feeling bad that I had not received the map update..... not so much now :)

So "glad" to see others having the same navigation issues I'm having. I'm not even talking about it giving me slightly crappy paths. I'm talking about the following:

First, the instrument cluster telling me one thing (to go left) and the main navigation screen drawing my route as straight and then making a right. This is the worst of the worst, and most confusing that I see repeatedly:

20141203_201115.jpg

If you squint hard enough, you can see my "destination flag" in the top right just beneath the body of water, yet my blue route basically telling me to go the opposite direction.

20141204_195026.jpg

Here, my path is wayyyy far away from where I am. This can't be attributed to an "urban canyon" effect or GPS not knowing where I am, because my car's location is correct.

20141203_000126.jpg

Called Tesla about it, they are going to pull my logs. I also sent them these screen shots. Any time my navigation is wrong I use the voice command to say: "report bug... navigation glitch" of some sort. Please do the same!

I've given up on the nav system for now. Until Tesla fixes it, I'm using the Maps app on my iPhone.

The car's success rate in finding a reasonably good route to the correct destination is under 25% for me. It usually takes me to an address that is near the destination I entered, but not the same address - maybe on the other side of the street or on a nearby street, or several buildings or blocks away on the right street. Sometimes the route is nowhere near the shortest or fastest route. Sometimes it takes me to the completely wrong place (like trying to take me to the runways at the far side of an airport instead of the actual roads). Often the blue route line disappears or is partly missing. Audio prompts to turn often come too late. Traffic-based navigation is occasionally helpful, but more often, it sends me on a complex side-road route to save less than the 5 minute threshold.

The iPhone app occasionally has issues, but it works well 90+% of the time. I have the iPhone on a phone holder, with audio prompts through the car speakers. If the phone is plugged into the USB port, I can say "Hey Siri" and ask for directions without taking my hands off the wheel. I leave the car's Nav app showing for the big picture of where I am, but I use the phone for navigation. This arrangement works pretty well.

Navigation issues

I've found something interesting with the navigation that just started to occur recently (I haven't had any map updates, but an on the latest version 6).
The map will show to turn right at the traffic lights, and the nav voice will say "turn left" . At first I thought I was hearing things, but after it has done this a few times, I know I wasn't hearing wrong. It doesn't do it all the time, but often enough. It really confused me when I was in Chicago, and didn't know where I was going (as compared to my regular drive home which I know quite well).
Anyone else have that issue with the nav voice?

- - - Updated - - It did that to me when I went to the Maumee supercharger..I'm staring at a T intersection, and it wanted me to go straight.

I have found exactly the same problem when it says "left" and the navigation is clearly showing "right". If you don't know where you are going, this causes all kinds of issues. Version 6.0 is the first time I have had a complaint serious enough to complain. I think that whomever allowed this version to go out should have to use it themselves. It is simply at least two steps back from what we had. I am not a happy camper.

- - - Updated - - -

In all of the time that I have had my Tesla, now going on two years, I have never had a major complaint. Sure, things go wrong, but they are insignificant in the larger scheme of things. However, this version 6.0 of the navigation is so bad that I am giving up on it until I read that a major change has occurred. It says turn left, the navigation says turn right. I went downtown today and it mapped out the supposed fastest way, and I know (and this is not just making a wild statement) that it was unquestionably not even close to the logical, normal route which uses the interstate highway system. I wondered if it was me, and then thought that it might be wise to check the forums, and yes indeed, I am not the only one.

And these problems are not simply a matter of turning left and it shows right, but sometimes, while on a route, it tells me to make a u-turn and go back to the same spot I was in only a few minutes ago.

The navigation system was, in my humble opinion, pretty darn good and was getting better every time a new version came out. However, someone must have let a buggy and incomplete version get out.

Until this gets fixed, I am turning off the navigation and using either Google Maps or Waze. Either one at least will get me to the proper location and it will get me there with a high probability that it will provide the fastest route.

And when it says turn left, it means turn left...not turn right.