Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation and Map changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More of an FYI .. I live on a corner and my address is the main road and driveway is on the side road. Car never sends me to or self-drives into side street .. until now. I modified my address on Google Maps to be closer to side street where driveway and garage are and it worked the next day ! Apparently Tesla utilizes real time data from Google Maps .. someday I hope to see AVOID HIGHWAYS at some point because regardless of how much more efficient Tesla thinks they are, they not preferred for a variety of my other reasons .. trucks, crazies, less scenic, more distance, regular traffic may be imminent (not current).

Reactions: zoomer0056
The car actually uses OpenStreetMap for navigation. But yes, it shows you Google maps on the display.

When you say avoid highways, I'm assuming that you may mean Interstates? Ot 4+ lane limited access roads?
I don't think that you really mean highways, as I have a 2-lane US Highway going next to me.

Yep "avoid highways" is the term the other nav systems use but I DO get what you're saying .. technically many other roads are considered highways. So Google is very responsive to address corrections and Tesla nav used that new info right away. That was my point.

Yep "avoid highways" is the term the other nav systems use but I DO get what you're saying .. technically many other roads are considered highways. So Google is very responsive to address corrections and Tesla nav used that new info right away. That was my point.
Teslas don't use Google maps for navigation. It doesn't matter if Google updates it or even if you see it on the map. That's not what the car uses.

Just a question since this is a Nav and google maps thread.

My maps shows my home on the correct side of the road. If I use the voice nav and say Navigate home, It always says your destination is on the right which is incorrect. From above it sounds like there are ways to fix this?

I have done bug reports for over a year now.

Just a question since this is a Nav and google maps thread.

My maps shows my home on the correct side of the road. If I use the voice nav and say Navigate home, It always says your destination is on the right which is incorrect. From above it sounds like there are ways to fix this?

I have done bug reports for over a year now.
Set a pin in the right place and set that as home.

Set a pin in the right place and set that as home.

I will try that- but, pretty sure I did that the first day of ownership.

The sat view has always shown the vehicle Correctly when home exactly where it sits parked and is plugged in with the address .

For the Nav to say your destination is on the right side of the road, we would have an odd numbered address, versus even numbered. Even on south side of road Odd numbers on the North side.
I will try to reset the pin. and see what happens.

Thanks

The sat view has always shown the vehicle Correctly when home exactly where it sits parked and is plugged in with the address .

For the Nav to say your destination is on the right side of the road, we would have an odd numbered address, versus even numbered. Even on south side of road Odd numbers on the North side.

Thanks
Depending on when "First Day" was, the functionality has changed. Previously it only allowed addresses.

The car actually uses OpenStreetMap for navigation. But yes, it shows you Google maps on the display.

When you say avoid highways, I'm assuming that you may mean Interstates? Ot 4+ lane limited access roads?
I don't think that you really mean highways, as I have a 2-lane US Highway going next to me.

Tesla may (or may not, making no claim here) use OpenStreetMap, but I know for a fact that updates to TomTom maps make their way into Tesla's navigation system, but only after the next navigation map update after you have submitted updates to TomTom.

Does TomTom actually use OpenStreetMap and that is where my corrections were submitted too via the TomTom website? Or does OpenStreetMap take data from other places besides direct contributions from users?

<on the fly edit> Never mind, TomTom has been submitting it's updates to OSM since 2021, and is now actually using OSM data since 2023 </edit>

Keith

Reactions: ewoodrick

Thanks

Can you erase the address, and just use the pin for now? Not sure, just a suggestion. And as I figured out in my last post, making corrections in TomTom or directly in OSM will be incorporated into future navigation updates. Also, Tesla nav never seems to forget an "old" address marked as home. When I first moved, half the time when I would navigate to "home" it would try to send me on a 1000+ mile journey out of state... the other half of the time it would send me on a half hour drive to my new home. As time moved on the attempts to get me to go back to my own home became fewer and fewer and after about a month finally stopped. So, even if you get it fixed, for the first month or so it may try and send you to the wrong side of the street once in a while.

Keith

Reactions: 455dan