Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Natural gas bus on fire. Bbq anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bus in the Dutch city of Delft on fire, until the natural gas starts to leak from the tanks and it becomes a flame thrower.

[video]http://www.omroepwest.nl/node/98417/overlay[/video]
You have any more info on that? Was it compressed gas, liquid propane, or something else?

That "leak" was a from a blow off valve, designed to reduce the pressure in the vessel. It may seem violent (since the gas ignites on exit), but it's to prevent an even worse explosion.

You have any more info on that? Was it compressed gas, liquid propane, or something else?

That "leak" was a from a blow off valve, designed to reduce the pressure in the vessel. It may seem violent (since the gas ignites on exit), but it's to prevent an even worse explosion.

Exactly a BLEVE explosion is something to avoid at all costs. Assuming it was liquid NG. Rupturing pressure vessels is also very very bad thing. This is the type of thing that turns me off of H2 and NG/LPG, as this is a 'safe' failure mode.

About four or five years ago, we had an acetylene manufacturing facility go up. I don't know if you see it in this video, but a bus simply melts to the ground and one of the tanks shot about 3/4 mile down I-35 and torpedoed into an overpass. Was very eventful.

Last edited by a moderator: