Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Name for the pedal on the right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not with a cell phone

Doh, forgot about that, you win
BowingSmiley.gif

-Shark2k

Last edited:
Accelerator has already gained accepted use. The gas pedal usage will fade away and be an anachronistic name in years to come. You will hear step on the gas every once in a while but hit the accelerator will replace it in time. "step on the gas" already doesn't make sense given current fuel injection technology.

Here in Canada, and much of the world, we measure distance in kilometers. But we still talk about "mileage".

We still "dial" telephones, even though most younger people have never seen a phone with an actual dial.

I'm typing on a keyboard, even though I haven't used an actual typewriter since the early 80's.

So I have no problem "stepping on the gas" in an electric car.

"Gas Pedal" is already a misnomer in a gasoline car. The "gas pedal" never controls the gas flow. The right pedal is a throttle; it controls the amount of air entering the engine. The carburetor or air flow meter/ECU controls the amount of gasoline in response to the air flow.

Now a diesel engine is a different beast. The right pedal does indeed control the fuel flow, but it's not gasoline. So what do biodiesel drivers say? Mash the potato grease?!

Not sure I'd agree with that. The gas pedal cable connects to the carburetor and moves both the throttle plate which regulates airflow and the accelerator pump which regulates fuel flow. "Fuel Mixture Pedal" or "Fuel Air Ratio Modulator" is rather cumbersome so I can see why "gas pedal" caught on.
"Power pedal" might be appropriate, or "Go pedal", though it can also stop.