Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nail in tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i ran over something on the freeway with my model X on friday - slow leak... took it to the shop and they found a tiny puncture on the side.. costco said they couldn't patch it.. also they didn't have a tire replacement available... i took it to america's tire depot this evening.. they could get michelin's for the back, but not match for the front, so the only option was pirelli' scorpion... after tax and $20/tire warranty, total was around $1036...

question - do all four tires really need to be swapped in this case? the other three tires have about 35-45% tread left.. the tire guy said all four should be replaced to have equal tread since it's all wheel drive...

question - anyone have comments about the pirelli tires?

thanks in advance.

I've had my X 90D for about 18 months and almost 28k miles and I've had 3 failures of the ContiSilient tires ($401.50 to replace it each time at the SC). I'm done with them. I'm probably going to swap them out for either of these. Not sure yet which one. Reviews for the Yokohama seem pretty good, and they're cheap enough to test them out. If I do, I'll post back my thoughts of either.

20" Yokohama Parada Spec-X ($660 total)
20" Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Plus ($960 total)

Ouch - Road hazard insurance would pay off for you. I paid discounttiredirect (the online for discount tire) $104 for road hazard on my factory Tesla tires (Goodyear's in my case) since I live in Houston and all the flood construction debris is insane in my neighborhood. Tesla roadside service will (at least in Houston) swap out a flat/nail for you with a loaner. You can then get your original tire fixed or replaced (Discount will ship me one) at either the Tesla SC or other tire store. You then drop off the loaner tire back at the SC. I wish Tesla still offered tire/wheel insurance.

I had several punctures on my Model S tires and plugged them myself with a DIY tire plug kit from auto zone... never ever had a problem and drove on the tires for another 25k miles until they were due to be replaced, when I replaced them I took a look inside and the foam is literally a very light weight foam similar to those in packaging held to the tire with double faced tape, don't believe the hype and just plug it, you really shouldn't have any issues.

Reactions: Fiddler
Discount tire fixed ours on three separate occasions in the first 15 months we had the car. If I remember correctly, two different wheels. 22k miles so far. I only ever had one tire that needed fixing on my previous car in 9 years.

All for free. How did they charge you $25?

Really a great company to work with (they are local here). Funny thing was when I brought it in the first time and the Model X was still pretty new, I saw them trying the Falcon Doors more then once. Stood in front of the window looking at them and they closed it and never opened it again. They shouldn't have of course but I couldn't really blame them either :cool:

Reactions: Fiddler
No clue. My wife took the X there. I really didn't mind as $25 was worth the time, apparently there wasn't a wait.

Discount Tire in Los Angeles is not the same as Discount Tire in Arizona. California's version of Discount Tire is called America's Tire. Discount Tire in California is a completely different chain.

Find Stores By Area of California | Discount Tire Centers

Discount Tire Store | Phoenix, AZ | 85016 | Flat Tire Repair

America's Tire Store | Glendale, CA | 91205 | Flat Tire Repair

Reactions: ps004ynos