Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nail in tire at ~400 Miles 23M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hit 400 miles in my new M3P with pirellis and TPS went off for rear passenger tire. Filled it up to 42psi and next morning was down to 30 again. Filled it and brought it to a nearby tire shop and they told me there's a nail in it and it can't be fixed since it's a run flat. Wasn't aware that they're run flats, but they more or less said I need a new tire. Going to try and find the nail/spot to see for myself. Should I bother taking it to another shop? Car has been cursed since day 1.

Exactly what model of Pirelli tire are we talking about? I don't believe that the factory ever used run-flats but I could be wrong. What's more likely is that the tire has a foam liner, like the Michelin MXM4s that have been used before. There's more work needed (not much) to repair such tires but it can be done.

Hit 400 miles in my new M3P with pirellis and TPS went off for rear passenger tire. Filled it up to 42psi and next morning was down to 30 again. Filled it and brought it to a nearby tire shop and they told me there's a nail in it and it can't be fixed since it's a run flat. Wasn't aware that they're run flats, but they more or less said I need a new tire. Going to try and find the nail/spot to see for myself. Should I bother taking it to another shop? Car has been cursed since day 1.
Learned here, some tire stores don’t like patching a tire with foam inside. Take it to Discount Tire.

Let us know what they say.

Exactly what model of Pirelli tire are we talking about? I don't believe that the factory ever used run-flats but I could be wrong. What's more likely is that the tire has a foam liner, like the Michelin MXM4s that have been used before. There's more work needed (not much) to repair such tires but it can be done.

Learned here, some tire stores don’t like patching a tire with foam inside. Take it to Discount Tire.

Let us know what they say.
Thanks for the replies. I'm walking a few miles to get the car now. I believe they're P Zero PZ4 Elect tires. Unfortunately the nearest Discount Tire is in another state. I have another good shop but they're generally packed and it's a bit further, was trying to avoid driving but I'll give it a shot and report back.

Reactions: Electroman
Filled it and brought it to a nearby tire shop and they told me there's a nail in it and it can't be fixed since it's a run flat.

If thats what your tire store actually said "We cant patch this because its a run flat tire", then you likely need to find another tire store because Tesla has not sold a model 3 or Y with factory run flat tires.

If they just told you "we cant patch it, its an EV tire" or something, that would be slightly different, but a tire place that cant tell the difference in a run flat or go flat tire would not be one I would trust to evaluate whether it could be patched, nor would I buy a tire from such a place unless I had no other choice.

Hit 400 miles in my new M3P with pirellis and TPS went off for rear passenger tire. Filled it up to 42psi and next morning was down to 30 again.

Yep, you've got a hole in the tire.
As long as it is not within 1/2" of the shoulder, it can be patched.

Filled it and brought it to a nearby tire shop and they told me there's a nail in it and it can't be fixed since it's a run flat.

They lied, or are incompetent, or incompetent. All all three in one.
Tesla has never used run flat tires, but it does use tires with foam inside, making repairs slightly trickier.

Wasn't aware that they're run flats, but they more or less said I need a new tire. Going to try and find the nail/spot to see for myself.

Tires are NOT run flats, and you can patch it as long as the punctures is not in / near the side wall (statistically unlikely).

Should I bother taking it to another shop? Car has been cursed since day 1.

Statistically, most nail punctures can be easily repaired.
Best and most durable repairs require dismounting the tire, and installing a "plug" from the inside. In the case of Tesla OEM tires, removal/scraping of the stupid foam from the repair area will be required. This will be slightly more expensive.

If you are on the road, you can DIY the repair from the outside with a DynaPlug tool. Amazon has them on same / next-day delivery.

You can NOT use "slime"/goo to fix the holes on OEM Tires because OEM foam will prevent the sealant from reaching the area of the hole. However, once you replace OEM tires with the ones that do NOT have stupid foam, you could and should carry one of these with you for on-the-road repairs and tire inflation.

I have DynaPlug and sealant + pump kits with me in all my cars. Has kept me on the road and overcoming all sorts of puncture emergencies in under 20 minutes for 30+ years.

HTH,
a

Had a nail in an RFT (non Tesla) dealer said I needed new tire $300+. Declined, drove straight to Discount Tire and they fixed it for free.

It's not a runflat, but Pirelli used to also not allow tire patching on their foam lined tires (even though plenty of people have got it repaired). They provided a road hazard warranty in lieu of that.

You can look up to see if there are any authorized Pirelli dealers in your areas and see if they can cover it.

I'm a big proponent of keeping plugs / air compressor in the car. Most punctures can be fixed this way, and many times with the tire still on the car, so you can be on your way!
I'm a complete village idiot with any kind of maintenance in this world but I absolutely keep a portable air compressor and tire plug kit in my car. Even I can plug a tire and keep going LOL

Reactions: isquarei and ODWms
Just an update. I do keep a portable compressor in all the cars I've had, but not a plug kit. Got one now though ha.

Left the car at a much better shop that I've had multiple suspension setups among other things done at with previous cars. Tire was not fixable since damage was too close to sidewall, they definitely tried. Didn't charge me either since they decided to use it as an experiment.

It's approaching November so I ordered 4 new all seasons from Tirerack (245 Conti DSW+) Saturday that were supposed to come Tuesday but didn't show until Wednesday right before they closed. They had an issue with two of the tires and did road force corrections and one wasn't correctable. Vibrates etc. The other ended up fine. Now waiting on Tirerack to send out a replacement. Sigh. Hopefully can get it back on Monday.

Thanks again for all the responses here! <400 miles on the car and ~120 were from picking the car up. The rest were from driving to work. Haven't even had a chance to form an opinion on the car but I've enjoyed the comunity so far! :)

Reactions: toolman335

I heard that bullshit too about it being a run flat from Mavis because they were inept or lazy. I went elsewhere and got it patched, not plugged.