Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My visit to the beta in Florida today (small new piece of info)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one thing I heard that bothered me was that Tesla was going to cripple the nav system while the car was underway. The European cars I drive don't do this; is this an American legal thing, I wonder.

When I was driving in Europe a number of cars did this. My (German) Mercedes S-Class only got "unlocked" by giving 50 Euros to the service guy and he fixed it so I could use it while driving. My (French) Toyota Landcruiser had the *locked while driving* annoyance. My (Belgian) BMW M5 didn't have it, but that was 6 years ago now. I don't recall whether the McLaren SLR did but that thing was so stupid fast that I never dared play with the nav system while I was driving it.

BTW, the Alpine system in my Roadster does not have the *cripple* feature.

I don't know of any aftermarket GPS devices (I'd consider the Alpine one) that don't let you enter the address while driving but I guess it's possible. The ones that seem to has this feature are OEM nav systems especially from Toyota and many others. Maybe Tesla will at least allow voice capability to enter an address and then you could touch screen to confirm the list of possible matches.

Last edited:
A rep told me that only the web browser would be disabled while driving and it would be diabled only when there was no passenger. Although some Nav manufacturers do require the car to be in park to input an address. Pioneer, for example.

My understanding so far is that Tesla is planning on complying with federal and state law on the subject... and no more. That means no video but web and nav will be fully operational while moving. They are going to do something unheard of in the US: they're going to rely Ina modicum of responsibility on the part of their customers.

I'm more concerned about the first law suit. Frankly, however, I think that the utility of allowing the passenger to enter a navigation destination seriously outweighs the risk involved, especially because there is every indication that each and every Model S will be able to input nav via voice recognition.

You're right though, some idiot reporter is going to pick up the first crash, blame web browsing and then close with, "it would be simple for Tesla to lock out that function while the car is in motion, so why haven't they?"

I just hope they stay strong.

If they follow the law, they can't be held liable if someone crashes while fiddling around with something in the car. If a reporter did say that, I would love it if a Tesla rep fired back and say something along the lines of "why don't phone companies disable phones while driving- much more accidents have been caused by that than our navigation system".

I agree with the noisemaker, if it's a law, I'll deal with it, but if not it'll be annoying and I don't want it on my car.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? If you get into an accident because you were screwing around with the Nav system, spilled hot coffee on your lap, distracted with the passenger; it's your fault, not the car's or the car manufacturer.
It goes double for pedestrians- look both ways when crossing the street, listen to the crosswalk sounds, pay attention to cross walks.
Have some fear that if you get hit, that you may not be getting back up, not the mentality of "who cares if it I get hit jaywalking I'm going to sue for millions"

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? If you get into an accident because you were screwing around with the Nav system, spilled hot coffee on your lap, distracted with the passenger; it's your fault, not the car's or the car manufacturer.

Yes, it is the responsibility of the distracted driver and they should face the full consequences. At the same time, ignorance is a real problem with these devices. People who text while driving have absolutely no idea how criminally dangerous their actions are, or they wouldn't do it. So what is the solution?

it's not that you are the cause of an accident it's that you just killed someone. not you but someone else. nobody cares about you except you and maybe your loved ones but what about that someone who did nothing wrong, you were just stupid to be mucking about with your nav system or something else and not paying attention to what's going on around you for the couple of seconds it takes to travel a few hundred yards at 55mph ooops..........