Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Roadster in the snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree... regen combined with traction control is fantastic for controlled deceleration on snow.

The reason I excluded it was because there's no direct comparison to an ICE vehicle. To explain this to someone who hasn't driven it is already difficult. With respect to "can I drive it in the snow and ice" I don't see a reason to mention it. I agree it's a nice feature, but I don't consider it at all as I analyze driving the Roadster versus the Subaru.

In fact, regen braking is considerably reduced when TC is active, which alters the braking behavior of the car. I really dislike that lifting up on the accelerator doesn't always produce the same amount of braking force. Not that I see an alternative ...

Last edited:
The reason I excluded it was because there's no direct comparison to an ICE vehicle. To explain this to someone who hasn't driven it is already difficult. With respect to "can I drive it in the snow and ice" I don't see a reason to mention it. I agree it's a nice feature, but I don't consider it at all as I analyze driving the Roadster versus the Subaru.

In fact, regen braking is considerably reduced when TC is active, which alters the braking behavior of the car. I really dislike that lifting up on the accelerator doesn't always produce the same amount of braking force. Not that I see an alternative ...

On the contrary, controlled deceleration is precisely the point. It's like driving a standard transmission car only way better.

And it isn't the TC that's fundamentally responsible for the reduction in the acceleration or decleration -- it's the ice on the road!!!

On the contrary, controlled deceleration is precisely the point. It's like driving a standard transmission car only way better.

And it isn't the TC that's fundamentally responsible for the reduction in the acceleration or decleration -- it's the ice on the road!!!

I feel that it's part of the equation because it's rear-wheel-only braking, so it becomes much less effective much more quickly than using the brakes on slippery surfaces. There are even times when it cycles completely on and off on really slippery surfaces -- which makes for extremely unpredictable braking and I find it unsettling. Pedal-braking with ABS produces a much more consistent behavior.

That said, given the Roadster's configuration, it's obviously a good thing that it does this -- otherwise the rear-end would slide out and you'd be in a lot of trouble. The problem is with the overall design of rear-wheel-only braking. Don't get me wrong -- I really enjoy the regen braking by easing up on the accelerator. It would be better on a FWD or AWD design for these reasons.

Either way, I suppose it'll depend on the audience. You don't want to overwhelm them with "hey TC is awesome, and it also works for regen braking, which, BTW, is done by lifting off the accelerator" -- that's probably too much to consume all at once for most people.

I'll find it fascinating if you (and others who drive in these conditions) still disagree with me. Either I'm really weird, or I'm miscommunicating here.

Either way, I suppose it'll depend on the audience. You don't want to overwhelm them with "hey TC is awesome, and it also works for regen braking, which, BTW, is done by lifting off the accelerator" -- that's probably too much to consume all at once for most people.

This kind of info would be pretty deep into a conversation about EV advantages. The person would either be "hooked" and be on the edge of their seat wanting even more input or they are asking questions about winter driving. A handling advantage like this would count a battery life point.

Eric, Doug - indeed my mindset was for "arguing" with ICE drivers ... Also thinking of quick conversations with people asking how it does in the snow. Obviously audience is everything here; I think for people seriously researching, it makes sense to as deep as you're pushing for.

Eric - to answer your awd/4wd question, it's worth bringing up if there's room for it. Most people don't understand that it's usually less about awd/4wd than it is about snow tires and, in this case, TC. Yes, my AWD car did better, but that's of limited use for daily driving. It's useful for aggressive winter driving, but hasn't proven (to me) to be the difference between getting stuck (or being in an accident) and not.

Thanks for the informative video. For those of us in sunny areas can you compare it to another similar car S2000, Ferrari, Porsche ?

I actually haven't even driven a similar car. I've owned the Subaru STi, Nissan Murano, Nissan Maxima, Toyota Camry, Hyundai Excel, and Geo Storm (boy that's going back!) Any of those you'd like me to compare it to? :)