Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My MYP order has been delayed. Should I wait for HW4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was due to collect my MYP tomorrow! I originally went for the LR but upgraded recently and 2 weeks later had a call to say the car was available. I paid my deposit and was about to board my train to go cross-country to collect the car (UK) when I got an email to say my finance had been reapproved, but I noticed it was still for the LR model. I called Tesla to ask if this was an issue, and they said I should not travel until the finance issue was resolved.

Firstly, has anyone else had this issue? I assumed that given the deposit amount was updated, the invoice to the finance company showed the Performance model and a delivery date was set, that everythig was in order, but apparently not. Tesla did say that it should have been updated so perhaps it was human error. I've spent £180 on a train, hotel and taxis for a wasted journey.

The other part of me is wondering whether this is in fact, a good omen, and that I should perhaps wait for the HW4, or at least the announcement on 1st March. I know we can keep waiting for the latest and greatest but given it seems HW4 can't be retrofitted later, and the lack of parking sensors makes parking well, more problematic without the upgraded hardware (especially in Europe), would it in fact be worth putting back the delivery after all (UK vehicles ship from Shanghai)?

Welome your thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was due to collect my MYP tomorrow! I originally went for the LR but upgraded recently and 2 weeks later had a call to say the car was available. I paid my deposit and was about to board my train to go cross-country to collect the car (UK) when I got an email to say my finance had been reapproved, but I noticed it was still for the LR model. I called Tesla to ask if this was an issue, and they said I should not travel until the finance issue was resolved.

Firstly, has anyone else had this issue? I assumed that given the deposit amount was updated, the invoice to the finance company showed the Performance model and a delivery date was set, that everythig was in order, but apparently not. Tesla did say that it should have been updated so perhaps it was human error. I've spent £180 on a train, hotel and taxis for a wasted journey.

The other part of me is wondering whether this is in fact, a good omen, and that I should perhaps wait for the HW4, or at least the announcement on 1st March. I know we can keep waiting for the latest and greatest but given it seems HW4 can't be retrofitted later, and the lack of parking sensors makes parking well, more problematic without the upgraded hardware (especially in Europe), would it in fact be worth putting back the delivery after all (UK vehicles ship from Shanghai)?

Welome your thoughts. Thanks.

So firstly, has anyone else experienced this before? Seems odd that my uograde was accepted, the balance payment adjusted and even the invoices updated to the finance companyhowing the performance, but that my finance agreement was incorrect.

thinking this

Firslty

Secondly, I'm
Sorry... was having issues with Microsoft Edge which appeared to add a zillion lines below what I meant to post. Having been through a few other posts, I've amended the question here (ran out of time to amend the original post):

"I was due to collect my MYP tomorrow! I originally went for the LR but upgraded recently and 2 weeks later had a call to say the car was available. I paid my deposit and was about to board my train to go cross-country to collect the car (UK) when I got an email to say my finance had been reapproved, but I noticed it was still for the LR model. I called Tesla to ask if this was an issue, and they said I should not travel until the finance issue was resolved.

Firstly, has anyone else had this issue? I assumed that given the deposit amount was updated, the invoice to the finance company showed the Performance model and a delivery date was set, that everythig was in order, but apparently not. Tesla did say that the finance should have been updated properly so perhaps it was human error. I've wasted a chunk of change on trains, a hotel and taxis now, and am not impressed. They are however looking to sort this out tomorrow and have this (or another) car transported closer to home.

Secondly, I was wondering if this was a good omen and pause for thought to wait for the 1st March announcement, but I guess it's unlikely that HW4 is going to come any time soon to MY and Tesla Vision will hopefully get the updates it needs to overcome the lack of USS for tight space parking.

Welome your thoughts. Thanks."

Upvote 0
Unusual posting. Sure wait, they should be updated by this time next year.
Yeah, you're right. Sorry about the zillion lines added in (was having problems with Edge, which kept freezing and jumping the text around the screen). I'm going to crack on with the purchase, but still interested to know if anyone else had this issue with the delivery being postposed at such short notice. I wouldn't have even known not to travel, had I not seen the email and called them. The App still says delivery is tomorrow at 10am

Upvote 0
(moderator note)

Someone reported this first post for being excessively long. I removed the spacing. As for the other question, yes I have seen people post about delivery dates all the time, and there are more than a few threads asking "should I wait" regarding hardware 4 so I would suggest participating in one of those for more discussion on that topic.

Upvote 0
You can make the decision for yourself after watching a video on in-depth analysis of HW4 motherboard done by Sandy Munro's team on YouTube. HW3 chip vs. HW4 is pretty significant. 12 CPU vs. 20 CPU cores. 2 neural processors vs. 3 neural processors. HW4 contains 8x 16g rams; memory got 4x bigger than HW3. The motherboard for HW4 is also taller and wider with more empty space; possible plan for retrofitting in HW4.5 and HW5.0 and so forth. Due to this size difference between HW3 and HW4, it will not be possible to retrofit HW4 into pre-existing HW3 Teslas. Also, in HW4 there are 12 camera connectors but recent leak says 11 cameras are planned right now (possible plan for future expansion). One caveat is AMD Ryzen cpu and AMD Radeon GPU stayed the same, but they are both integrated into same board instead of separate; another reason you won't be able to retrofit HW4.

Certainly HW4 will bring more computational power and freedom for full self driving. Upgraded HD cameras and radar will bring more practical usage with parking assist and autopilot. Now, do these new specs matter to you? If yes, then wait for HW4.

You can always take delivery for your MYP now and sell it later; I'm sure your new MYP will hold resale value pretty high 'til you sell it later this year for updated HW4 model. For me I have both MYAWD and MYP on order. It looks like MYAWD will get delivered sooner, if so, then I'll just take the delivery of MYAWD and be happy with it even if HW4 becomes available right after I take the car

If you take Tesla and Elon's word for Tesla Vision that current HW3 cars will be more than capable with FSD and parking assist in the near future, then it wouldn't matter too much in my opinion. But you also have to take into consideration possible price increase (may be back to $10,000+) after March 1st or whenever. There's no telling when HW4 will be integrated into production Model Y. Everyone can only speculate based on ongoing leaks; but the most recent leaks by Teslascope is saying Model Y will be equipped with HW4 by end of this year. It's possible by end of this summer too. No one can tell.

Upvote 0
You can make the decision for yourself after watching a video on in-depth analysis of HW4 motherboard done by Sandy Munro's team on YouTube. HW3 chip vs. HW4 is pretty significant. 12 CPU vs. 20 CPU cores. 2 neural processors vs. 3 neural processors. HW4 contains 8x 16g rams; memory got 4x bigger than HW3. The motherboard for HW4 is also taller and wider with more empty space; possible plan for retrofitting in HW4.5 and HW5.0 and so forth. Due to this size difference between HW3 and HW4, it will not be possible to retrofit HW4 into pre-existing HW3 Teslas. Also, in HW4 there are 12 camera connectors but recent leak says 11 cameras are planned right now (possible plan for future expansion). One caveat is AMD Ryzen cpu and AMD Radeon GPU stayed the same, but they are both integrated into same board instead of separate; another reason you won't be able to retrofit HW4.

Certainly HW4 will bring more computational power and freedom for full self driving. Upgraded HD cameras and radar will bring more practical usage with parking assist and autopilot. Now, do these new specs matter to you? If yes, then wait for HW4.

You can always take delivery for your MYP now and sell it later; I'm sure your new MYP will hold resale value pretty high 'til you sell it later this year for updated HW4 model. For me I have both MYAWD and MYP on order. It looks like MYAWD will get delivered sooner, if so, then I'll just take the delivery of MYAWD and be happy with it even if HW4 becomes available right after I take the car

If you take Tesla and Elon's word for Tesla Vision that current HW3 cars will be more than capable with FSD and parking assist in the near future, then it wouldn't matter too much in my opinion. But you also have to take into consideration possible price increase (may be back to $10,000+) after March 1st or whenever. There's no telling when HW4 will be integrated into production Model Y. Everyone can only speculate based on ongoing leaks; but the most recent leaks by Teslascope is saying Model Y will be equipped with HW4 by end of this year. It's possible by end of this summer too. No one can tell.
Yeah, all really great points. I'm not so interested in the FSD to be honest, but a better EAP and better cameras would be useful. I've taken delivery of the MYP and love it - no issues with quality control. I'll consider selling to upgrade down the line.

The MYP came in quicker than the MYLR but was inventory stock from Bristol. It was there for a couple of months so I suspect it didn't get the improved suspension as it really is pretty hard compared to the MYP I test drove, but not the end of the world. Another upgrade with 3P suspension to consider down the line :) Overall though, couldn't be happier!

Upvote 0
(moderator note)

Someone reported this first post for being excessively long. I removed the spacing. As for the other question, yes I have seen people post about delivery dates all the time, and there are more than a few threads asking "should I wait" regarding hardware 4 so I would suggest participating in one of those for more discussion on that topic.
You're right. In the end I was wondering more about whether anyone had issues with financing when they changed their order? Not the end of the world but clearly a process didn't work as intended which surprised me given the way cars are sold by Tesla (you'd think this would be pretty tied down by now and I can't be the first to change an order part way through the process).

Upvote 0