Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY LR nightmare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pick-up was end of april. All was well for ~3000 km, awesome car. Until one fine evening, when driving at about 50 km/h, horrible mechanical noises start coming from the rear motor coupled with intense braking (acceleration was dead). Had this happened at a higher speed, the outcome would have been horrendous. I barely managed to exit the road in due time. Car stated "pull over immediately" and unable to drive + rear motor disabled. Since we were relatively close to home, i tried to power off the vehicle and continue for our trip. Car stated no other errors so we proceeded. 10 km later (i drove very slow) the same thing happened again. So i restarted the car again i drove for 4 more km until we got home.

Car was taken by a towtruck to the SC (600 km away) and arrived there on may 15. They immediately ordered a rear motor (3DU) and a few days later realized they needed a 4DU motor (4th gen rear motor as my MY has. It's made in Berlin).

ETA was may 31st. No reply to messages until june 12th, when in the app they stated car is fixed.

When looking on the service bill it states: FRONT MOTOR INVERTER replaced.

Immediately messaged them stating the problem was with the rear motor and they called me and said their diagnosis showed the front motor had a fault and they fixed it.

I asked if it was phisically possible for a front engine fault to manifest as mechanical sounds in the REAR of the car they said they'll check again today. I also asked them to take the car out for a drive for a few dozen km.

Have any of you had any similar trouble ? AFAIK if the front motor has any faults it gets immediately decoupled and one is able to drive without problems if the rear motor is fine.

P.s.: I'm literally scared to pick the car up and drive home 600 km when i just know the real problem isn't fixed.

As i stated before, initially they ordered a rear motor (twice) and now that the car is done, bith the document on the app + the guy who called me from tesla service bith state that the problem was with the FRONT motor inverter. I’m stumped. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5803.jpeg
    IMG_5803.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 208
As i stated before, initially they ordered a rear motor (twice) and now that the car is done, bith the document on the app + the guy who called me from tesla service bith state that the problem was with the FRONT motor inverter. I’m stumped. :)
Very strange. Tesla should explain why all the clues point toward the rear so how the front would produce rear error messages.

There is not much you can do now but to drive it home. If it survived the trip home then it's just the front problem. If not, prepare for another tow and you'll get the rear fixed next.