Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My go at custom model 3 turbines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This project took alot longer then I'd hoped, but the result today makes it worth it.

First things first, I'm aware another company does this exact same thing, when i started this project I didn't know of the "true turbine" thing, so good on them. They don't sell in the color i wanted anyway, and it's paint vs power coating.

All in cost was about $1900 for the specific look i was going for. Knowing what I know now, I'd probably get a set of used stock 20's.

Wheels $800
Tires: $530 (great deal from my local goodyear)
Caps: $30 (included custom stickers)
chrome lugs $40
Powder coating: $500

No spacers (had the Blox 15/20mm but the wheels didn't have the cavities for the extra studs)
Tires are 245/35r20 Goodyear Eagle A/S.
Silver is metallic silver, not quite a match to stock tesla silver.

Enjoy!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Are they asymmetrical? You don't show the drivers side. If asymmetrical then it looks like they might be on the wrong side. Post a pic of the drivers side.

Here is a Tesla Turbine for reference. Notice the trailing edge.

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 4.30.24 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Fossil Fool
This project took alot longer then I'd hoped, but the result today makes it worth it.

First things first, I'm aware another company does this exact same thing, when i started this project I didn't know of the "true turbine" thing, so good on them. They don't sell in the color i wanted anyway, and it's paint vs power coating.

All in cost was about $1900 for the specific look i was going for. Knowing what I know now, I'd probably get a set of used stock 20's.

Wheels $800
Tires: $530 (great deal from my local goodyear)
Caps: $30 (included custom stickers)
chrome lugs $40
Powder coating: $500

No spacers (had the Blox 15/20mm but the wheels didn't have the cavities for the extra studs)
Tires are 245/35r20 Goodyear Eagle A/S.
Silver is metallic silver, not quite a match to stock tesla silver.

Enjoy!

View attachment 450783 View attachment 450785 View attachment 450786 View attachment 450787
pretty sure these need to be rotated. the turbine is backwards. not sure but that actually may be affecting your aerodynamics

Are they asymmetrical? You don't show the drivers side. If asymmetrical then it looks like they might be on the wrong side. Post a pic of the drivers side.

Here is a Tesla Turbine for reference. Notice the trailing edge.

View attachment 450917

Not aware of any set of wheels being different for the other side, they'd have to do two castings, then you could never rotate your tires really.

Here's all of them being prepped for ceramic coating. IMG_20190829_180930.jpg

• Informative
Not aware of any set of wheels being different for the other side, they'd have to do two castings, then you could never rotate your tires really.

Here's all of them being prepped for ceramic coating. View attachment 450933
Yea they aren't asymmetrical. That means the drivers side are correct and the passengers side are backwards. Lots of turbine type wheels have this. Tesla's turbines are asymmetrical (left and right side rotation) so the drivers and passengers are the same look with the leading edge facing the front.

EDIT: Sorry to point it out since once you see it you can't unsee it.

Last edited:
So what wheels where these off of? I thought the lug pattern was different for these wheels, can you give us some more details?

Original design is from 2012 Infiniti FX35 anniversary edition. Or you can Google "true turbine Tesla" to find a company that does this proffesionally, but they start with a different wheel. I

did it the hard way and had to get hub adapters and learn way too much lol.

pretty sure these need to be rotated. the turbine is backwards. not sure but that actually may be affecting your aerodynamics

Think about it, visually. You'll see that doesn't work. All 4 wheels are identical as with every turbine style wheel ever made. Unless I turned them inside out, there would always be 2 going the "wrong" direction.

Think about it, visually. You'll see that doesn't work. All 4 wheels are identical as with every turbine style wheel ever made. Unless I turned them inside out, there would always be 2 going the "wrong" direction.
My last car was a Cadillac ELR. It was originally a concept car called the Converj and was near copy of it. However on the Converj it had "correct" asymmetrical wheels but on the production they took the easy/cheeper route of making all 4 the same. So the passenger side also pointed he "wrong" way. Still a more subtle design but still bothered me. I almost always took pictures from the drivers side. I like symmetries and always looking at these type of wheels to see if the passenger side are correct or "backwards". Just a pet peeve of mine.

You may want to check with the manufacture to be sure they don't offer passenger side versions. Sometime it is just easer for the distributor to send 4 identical than matching up 2 pair. Unfortunately in you case they are aggressive and look really incorrect on the passenger side. The drivers side looks much better. Post a pic of both sides.

Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 5.48.46 AM.png
IMG_3832.jpeg

So what wheels where these off of? I thought the lug pattern was different for these wheels, can you give us some more details?

Tesla decided to copy Nissan (Infiniti) uses the same 5x114.3 bolt setup. These also have the same +35 offset as the stock tesla wheel, but i honestly suspect that figure is off by at least 5mm, as i had spacers on my 18's and it was hella flush, vs without spacers it's a huge concave. Spacers were 15 front, 20 rear.

But anyway, with these special wheels i couldn't use my Blox spacers, and thankfully didn't need to, they look like they fill everything out nicely.
(pic attached) IMG_20190826_174138.jpg IMG_20190826_172514.jpg

You may want to check with the manufacture to be sure they don't offer passenger side versions. Sometime it is just easer for the distributor to send 4 identical than matching up 2 pair. Unfortunately in you case they are aggressive and look really incorrect on the passenger side. The drivers side looks much better. Post a pic of both sides.

View attachment 451190 View attachment 451191

You're really hung up on this lol.

FWIW I've never seen a single set of turbine (style) wheels that are as you describe. That would literally require them to manufacturer 2 molds, 2 part #'s, 2 of literally everything = Twice the price & way less then half the market (buyers) for such a product as the idiot who buys them will have to dismount his tires every time he wants to rotate them properly.

But the pursuit of design might be worth this magically high price. I personally don't care, think it looks great from both sides.

Reactions: SigNC

FWIW I've never seen a single set of turbine (style) wheels that are as you describe. That would literally require them to manufacturer 2 molds, 2 part #'s, 2 of literally everything = Twice the price & way less then half the market (buyers) for such a product as the idiot who buys them will have to dismount his tires every time he wants to rotate them properly.

But the pursuit of design might be worth this magically high price. I personally don't care, think it looks great from both sides.

Lexus ISF had asymmetrical wheels.
423f6c5c32d3416e9869dd433aab1977.jpg

$_58.JPG

Last edited:

I don't think the unmounting for rotation is a fair criticism, directional tires are very common.