Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love to post it dangit! I'm hoping to get my car back Friday. I doubt the water spots will be removed by then, but if the car works and is clean, I'll take it back and work w/ the detailer on it. Sigh. trust me. I have on my todos to take a picture of the FWDs open to show off a blue + cream interior with oak. It's been on my list for ... um three weeks :confused:

SC texted. The part I need for the wheel/horn won't be delivered today, rather tomorrow at this point. That means my car definitely won't be done today and maybe it'll be done tomorrow. I've requested them leave my car at the PPF shop at least it's covered and climate-controlled there.

Still no idea about the water spots, but it's not very long since I've found the problem.

I'm hoping to get it back before the weekend, but it doesn't look promising. If I didn't take a few original pictures, I bet you all would think I'm lying that I actually bought an X :oops:

SC texted. The part I need for the wheel/horn won't be delivered today, rather tomorrow at this point. That means my car definitely won't be done today and maybe it'll be done tomorrow. I've requested them leave my car at the PPF shop at least it's covered and climate-controlled there.

Still no idea about the water spots, but it's not very long since I've found the problem.

I'm hoping to get it back before the weekend, but it doesn't look promising. If I didn't take a few original pictures, I bet you all would think I'm lying that I actually bought an X :oops:

The PPF shop should replace ur film and ceramic under warranty ...film shouldn’t stain like that ...I have spilled paint on my ppf and it wipes right off also hard water stains comes off with that chem guys product or even vinegar ...:oops:

The PPF shop should replace ur film and ceramic under warranty ...film shouldn’t stain like that ...I have spilled paint on my ppf and it wipes right off also hard water stains comes off with that chem guys product or even vinegar ...:oops:
I agree with you. Detailer hasn't even tried the other things he has on his list, so it's premature to think it's permanent. Annoying though, but whatever. I feel like I can iterate on that, once I get my car back.

Reactions: P85_DA
Talked with SC. Part won't get here until 3pm. Guy that normally works on my car doesn't work tomorrow so he isn't confident the repair can finish by Saturday. They're going to leave my car at my PPF shop all weekend and try to fix it on Monday. Another weekend without my car :eek:

Hopefully I'll have pictures and a positive experience next week.

Reactions: P85_DA and Bogobec
Don't you wish you had a fast forward button sometimes for life? :)
Yes and no. I believe this is part of what I was meant to experience. It's stretching me in areas and that is good for me. If I fast forward this and don't learn, then the experience didn't have its full effect on me :D

Then again, they texted me and said the part was already delivered, much earlier than expected so they're going to try to get it done today after all. /shrug

i have to give props to the San Diego SC for taking care of me. i requested to get my car back while other parts in in transit so they buttoned it all up and got it back to me. i'll go back when the parts come in and it's convenient for me.

i am wondering how much the Model X build quality has changed over the last few years. i know that our first S (vin 43k) was light years behind our second one (vin 143k). and i got a loaner s (vin 261k) that was nearly perfect - no squeaks, rattles, trim looked good, etc. so i am crossing my fingers that our 2 years with this Model X will get us past the 100k units and by that time all these fitment issues will be a thing of the past ... because i want to love it so badly but the little things are gnawing at me!

So interesting things happened today.

The part was delivered and they did the install. Car was ready for pickup at 1ish. It went from climate-controlled storage to the SC and sat for about 4 hours. It was FILTHY and covered with “dust” of sorts by the time I picked it up. Definitely eye opening, so I don’t want the car to sit there for too long next time because of proximity to the highway, trees and whatnot.

In any case, I did the walkthrough and everything looked good (well as good as it’s going to get — we know that FWD alignment is just about impossible to be 100% perfect) and I was ready to go. Except I noticed one thing. The passenger side FWD handle was really sticking forward, almost hitting the front door’s handle. I called the SC guy over to take a look as it was definitely off. The next part was weird...

He opens the front door so he can basically adjust the FWD handle. He slid it back and it lined up well ... except we were both like, uh was it supposed to slide that easily? So he tries to slide it the other way and BAM slides right off the door. So here we are with the FWD w/out the chrome plate over the handle (interesting what it looks like behind there btw) and now I’m thinking, great do I need a new door?

He went to pull a spare chrome handle to try to install that to see if it works, but it did the same thing. We were trying to figure out if it needed adhesive or something, but the main tech said no. They brought it into the bay to look at it (we’re going on about 1.5 hours after I was supposed to just pick up my car) and a tech found the issue. There’s a piece of the clip that was recessed and bent back into the door handle area that was supposed to engage the clip to prevent it from sliding off. The tech was able to bend it back out and then there was an audible click when the handle was put back on. Phew dodged that bullet, and my chrome has PPF on it, so good thing I was able to reuse it.

After that, the car was ready to go, so I left with my car!

There’s still the one weird issue about my door opening at all kinds of weird times. They told me they were going to pull logs to see what was going on, but I needed a few more time stamps to know for sure what happened. It happened three times today already, where the door opened when I’m not even near the car. I’m thinking it’s just the key fob and maybe it needs to be reprogrammed or something. I’m going to collect more time stamps and have them look into it.

Didn’t have much time to mess around with the car as I had to take my kids to swim lessons, but it feels great to be in my car. After being in that signature P90D for 2.5 weeks, I can honestly say my car is better.

- I’m so happy I got the color combination I did. Blue is beautiful! Cream is beautiful! Oak is beautiful! The cream leather + headliner really makes the car feel more spacious than an all-black/grey interior. I never really imagined it’d make that big of a difference, but it definitely does.
- 22” wheels look amazing. 20” wheels FEEL amazing. It’s a lot more comfortable. Some combination of the weight (75kw battery pack vs 90) and the wheel size makes the car feel smoother yet more nimble on the road.
- 2016 steering wheel is weird. It’s a bit thicker, or something is just off. The new material + the size is just a lot more comfortable to me.
- I actually don’t miss ludicrous at all. I feel like the torque put down by the 75D is plenty and almost feels more natural. That’s not a knock against the P, but as people know 900+ ft/lb torque is just almost overwhelming :)
- The seats in the 2018 are way more comfortable than the 2016. The buckets feel like they hold me in the seat better, and I really actually enjoy the feel of vegan leather over the leather.
- MCU2 >> MCU1. Not only speed-wise, but the screen color is more vibrant. I don’t know why, but everything just looks crisper, and definitely much snappier. Swapping “apps” and live updating from nav is a lot smoother. I think the speed/color was a huge upgrade from MCU2 over MCU1. This isn’t a knock against MCU1 owners. Screen was still great!
- The materials used in the car are different between 2016 than 2018. Accessories that were sliding around, like my center console storage shelf, do not slide in my X because instead of plastic edges around the center console, they’re felted now.

More to come later, but I’m glad I got to experience both!

The one obligatory picture that I can post when we went out to dinner that I couldn’t before ...

4D032497-3C85-41D1-9AFB-B29429751E78.jpeg

Last edited:
So one thing I need to correct myself on. After driving my car for over 24 hours and having had the P90D for 2.5 weeks. I miss ludicrous :D It is absolutely worth it if you can swing it. It's VERY drivable with ludicrous mode on...the extra torque is great. What I have is fine and still faster than just about anything on the road, but being able to punch it when already going 70+ and feeling your body get sucked into the seat never gets old.

I guess there's the speeding issue with it, but other than that, totally wish I had it!

That being said, I still am happy enough with what I got. But ludicrous is amazing.

Having just ordered an X100D in Midnight Silver I have been reading your post with huge trepidation. To say I'm fussy is an understatement... I'll try and go in without the bar set too high and maybe I'll go and inspect before collection to ensure issues are ironed out BEFORE collection.

I have also gone for cream interior so would love to see more pics of that if you are happy to oblige.

Thanks

Jacob

Having just ordered an X100D in Midnight Silver I have been reading your post with huge trepidation. To say I'm fussy is an understatement... I'll try and go in without the bar set too high and maybe I'll go and inspect before collection to ensure issues are ironed out BEFORE collection.

I have also gone for cream interior so would love to see more pics of that if you are happy to oblige.

Thanks

Jacob
Got done cleaning the car a bit today so I did snag a few pictures of the interior for you. Here’s what I would say in general. Their interior fit and finish is pretty good. There’s a couple of rubber spots between door sills that are a tad bent on one side, but you can’t see it. There was a bit of rubber trim that was too long that needed to be trimmed on the driver’s door window and in front in the A pillar where the grill meets the A pillar. Very minor things overall though. It’s the outside trim of the car that you’ll probably be bent out of shape with. I can see a million ultra tiny defects when I detail the car, but nothing impacts drivability or looks for that matter. Unless you’re staring at the car close up, you’re not going to be able to see them. That then depends on you, if you can live with that or not. Here’s a few of the interior.

B2AC94D0-6C09-4CA9-A1FD-E4E93457F364.jpeg
6569FD56-F15E-41EF-AC7E-67F904FCB673.jpeg
092D3E1F-D3D7-4F75-B596-346770E3B2B3.jpeg
8F6B989A-9031-41A8-8353-A9DF5DF0EDA9.jpeg
C1DD4A19-39B7-4F5A-BCE7-3164CF1CB0DE.jpeg
C5185B01-9C2C-4EF9-BF26-F32C9E7FC7A4.jpeg
8A6A82D5-2154-4808-BCC7-7E61D692E57A.jpeg
B4A494F7-C8F1-4906-985D-A3BB372D0613.jpeg
C8E748B2-B979-41C7-A0B5-7203DF6B915F.jpeg

Feels good to have the car home over the weekend. I had to do some pretty deep cleaning in spots I don’t normally plan to clean because of how dirty the area around the SC is. That being said, today was just the outside with a quick ONR wash. It’s amazing how easy it is to clean with the ceramic coat on top of it. The PPF gives me peace of mind in case I do something stupid and scratch the car with poor washing style, but I try my best to only move the towel in one direction and change them each panel I do.

I swear parking this car is easier than the P90D, though I don’t really know why. Fits great and my garage is the perfect place to open everything up and clear the car in the shade and protected from trees. If only it’d protect me from the heat. It needs to get cooler soon...

The finish on the car is so mirror-like and easy to achieve. Loving it! Washing the car is actually fun. Thankfully ONR smells good too :D

6A357DD9-953A-42DB-831D-82C974C5F43F.jpeg
F8F1B79D-B9D5-4215-BAEA-906380D7DF83.jpeg
0E9552A1-B7F7-4782-BFD0-5D906986A439.jpeg
F743D472-34A8-43DE-843B-C5CCFFE1D09E.jpeg

Good thing I took that last picture. I noticed that the bottom garnish was off, and it needed to be pushed in. All flush now.

Shoutout to Evannex. I received a replacement set of performance pedals because the brake pedal was a bit damaged. Since I finally got the car back, I was able to replace the brake pedal this weekend as well. Picture is included in a couple of posts above w/ the interior. They sent it to me promptly after me showing them the pictures I took. Great customer service. Already looking at buying a few more things from them.