Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brand spanking new.
Like I said, after hanging around these forums for 2 months, this is about what one could expect. There's nothing seriously wrong with the car (yet) and if I get these kinks worked out at the SC over the next several weeks, I'll completely forget about it moving forward. Price you pay of being an "early adopter" I guess. I do believe that it's not for everyone, and I make it very clear to people who ask me about buying a Tesla.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I'm with you, man. My VIN is 1102** with delivery coming up this week, hopefully. Been reading and watching YouTube (how are there no new reviews inside of the past year?) for all of my info. Rubbing falcon wings was already high on my list but after seeing your pics I know exactly what to look for. My X started production 6/27 and finished 14 days later, so I'm assuming we overlap somewhat.

Like I said, after hanging around these forums for 2 months, this is about what one could expect. There's nothing seriously wrong with the car (yet) and if I get these kinks worked out at the SC over the next several weeks, I'll completely forget about it moving forward. Price you pay of being an "early adopter" I guess. I do believe that it's not for everyone, and I make it very clear to people who ask me about buying a Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I'm with you, man. My VIN is 1102** with delivery coming up this week, hopefully. Been reading and watching YouTube (how are there no new reviews inside of the past year?) for all of my info. Rubbing falcon wings was already high on my list but after seeing your pics I know exactly what to look for. My X started production 6/27 and finished 14 days later, so I'm assuming we overlap somewhat.

One of the things to keep in mind with the FWD rubbing is that you may not be able to tell immediately upon delivery if you don't know what to look for. I doubt they're constantly open/close the door, so I may have actually generated more damage as I kept opening and closing them over the past few days. I also noticed that the rubbing doesn't happen every time. Every now and then it'll be fine. When you take delivery, you may want to watch the door close and see if it's rubbing. If so, you may not want to drive home rather have them fix it immediately so it doesn't damage your paint. If you're going to get it wrapped, this is important, imo.

It's not a huge deal, but I need to pick up my car next Thurs/Fri and then drive it for the next several days while I wait for my service appointment. They were able to fit me in earlier but 1) I didn't know about this issue until today 2) I had already scheduled PPF and tint installation and didn't want to push that back since they are busy this time of year. The driver side FWD is a lot better, so I may just use that door for now until they address the issue so I don't cause more damage that they'll need to repair.

• Informative
Reactions: Anzir and P85_DA
I have all these similar problems on my build, panel misalignments and gaps, chrome misalignments, gaps where the panel meets plastic, software bugs. Im not sure why they still cant get this right, they have been making Xs for 3 years and other cars for more than 6. They cant use the 'new car maker' excuse any more.

Its sad our expectations for tesla have to be set so low.

I do agree that it's sad that the expectations are so low. The issue still is that they're the only manufacturer in town that makes the car feel as good as it does. It will be interesting to see what happens when more competition pops up, though there are still no announced direct competitors to the X (at least those that want a 3rd row that can seat 6 or 7).

• Love
Reactions: neroden and P85_DA
Yes unfortunately they are the only game in town so they can push customer limits as there are no other choices. As of now anyway. This kind of crap will not be tolerated five years from now when other manufacturers catch up and the national charging infrastructure will be much improved.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Two hours enough time for delivery/pick up of the car? I am debating between scheduling my delivery on a Friday morning but have only two hours...otherwise i have to wait till Saturday but am free most of the day.

On a side note, delivery was pushed back from 8/4 to the following week.

Two hours enough time for delivery/pick up of the car? I am debating between scheduling my delivery on a Friday morning but have only two hours...otherwise i have to wait till Saturday but am free most of the day.

On a side note, delivery was pushed back from 8/4 to the following week.

I was out of there within 2 hours no problem. More importantly, I would choose a time that they're not very busy. If Friday is way less crowded, I'd do it Friday so they give you more attention.

One of the things to keep in mind with the FWD rubbing is that you may not be able to tell immediately upon delivery if you don't know what to look for. I doubt they're constantly open/close the door, so I may have actually generated more damage as I kept opening and closing them over the past few days. I also noticed that the rubbing doesn't happen every time. Every now and then it'll be fine. When you take delivery, you may want to watch the door close and see if it's rubbing. If so, you may not want to drive home rather have them fix it immediately so it doesn't damage your paint. If you're going to get it wrapped, this is important, imo.

It's not a huge deal, but I need to pick up my car next Thurs/Fri and then drive it for the next several days while I wait for my service appointment. They were able to fit me in earlier but 1) I didn't know about this issue until today 2) I had already scheduled PPF and tint installation and didn't want to push that back since they are busy this time of year. The driver side FWD is a lot better, so I may just use that door for now until they address the issue so I don't cause more damage that they'll need to repair.
I had a similar issue with our passenger FWD and initially they said they were going to trim the rubber seal pieces but then they ended up replacing the seals and all of the glass.

14) Driver’s side door marker/camera housing is loose

438CD49A-875B-4B2F-89AB-FB0A48D48E01.jpeg

15) Some time of extra rubber/seal on driver’s side FWD. Maybe needs minor adjustment/tucking?

86857058-4D05-46A3-9BC4-41EA4457F9AA.jpeg

16) Passenger side plastic trim around rear wheel well and bottom of FWD were buffed/scuffed at some point. Detailer believes it’s probably a buffer or something applied at detailing time. He tried using many products and wax removers to get rid of the white marks, but it’s on there permanently. Need to replace the trim.

4AE93345-572D-4A13-9301-14FAD805833A.jpeg

17) Driver’s side front door trim seems to have been sanded. After being polished, you can see the embedded swirl marks in there.

F9852F38-CB20-4468-95F7-61F2B2B36AA4.jpeg

18) Paint just below passenger side headlight looks to be buffed completely off until the paint was stripped off and it’s just black underneath. Fairly small and hard to see at a distance. Not going to fix it.

DAFA8C35-2B7F-41B3-95D4-BE721C939DFC.jpeg

19) Random dirt particles locked into clear coat in random places around the car (driver’s side mirror). Not going to fix it.

Keeping an ongoing list of issues I’ve encountered/documented so I can show SC these notes later. These may help other people who are trying to figure out what they can expect. Note that these are really pretty minor and I may not get them all fixed. But I figured it might help some anal people find everything that’s wrong w/ their cars. I don’t advise being a jerk to the SC about it though ... that’s one way to get on their crap list (maybe? I would be worried :D)

Keeping an ongoing list of issues I’ve encountered/documented so I can show SC these notes later. These may help other people who are trying to figure out what they can expect. Note that these are really pretty minor and I may not get them all fixed. But I figured it might help some anal people find everything that’s wrong w/ their cars. I don’t advise being a jerk to the SC about it though ... that’s one way to get on their crap list (maybe? I would be worried :D)

What’s your paint depth reading ?:eek:

As an update, I’ve dropped off the car this morning. I showed up at 7:50 for an 8am appointment. They opened the garage for me at about 7:55 and were ready to help me immediately. I showed them everything and for some reason, we cannot get the FWD to hit the same spot. It seems fine now. They’re going to look at it a little more and do some minor adjustments. Some of the other issues were noted, and I think one or two of them we’re going to skip. They’re aware the car is tinted and has PPF and will do their best to work around those issues. They were very friendly and knowledge.

They had a loaner waiting for me, a P90D X, which was a great!

So far, the service experience has been great. Will update when I know more.

Reactions: P85_DA
Got a call that my car was ready today. I went to the SC to pick it up. I went over things to review the work that was done, hoping for the best and expecting the worst. Long story short, the car is still in the shop. I showed the lead tech the issues and he was very apologetic and brought the car back into the service bay, tagged it with tape and said it will be the car that is in the center floor at their meeting with all of the techs as an example of what shouldn't pass QC. I'm happy enough with this outcome, and I'm still in the loaner P90D X that I got, so that worked out okay. I think I'm being pretty chill so far, but I hope I do get my car back soon.

1) FWD alignment. They fixed the rubbing, but now it's super misaligned. The tech believes they can do better than that, so I'm going to see how that goes.
2) The white-ish damage on the plastic trim on the passenger's side is still there. They said they're going to try to exfoliate one more time, but I'm not convinced it's going to work. I'm expecting for them to have to order replacements for that.
3) Driver's side chrome swirl marks. They tried to fix it but failed. They'll need to order a replacement trim. They also had two SNAFUs
3a) They weren't careful with the polisher and they burned/ruined the PPF on the panel. It basically looks like they melted an area. They're going to pay for all expenses necessary to fix the issue, but that means I need to send it to the shop to get PPF on the driver's side door and ceramic coat that new piece.
3b) They were pretty careless w/ the buffing and the buffing compound went all over my windows and inside the car's dash/seats. They need to clean this up as it looks pretty unprofessional.
4) Bumper alignment seems slightly better now, but now it looks like there's a small paint gouge where the panel was being pushed up into the rear panel. They're going to see if they can smooth it out, but that's probably not from service, I suspect it was there because the bumper was put on too tightly on the passenger side during assembly.
5) They had to order the voice command key, so it still doesn't work, but a mobile technician can come out and replace it when they get it.
6) they had to replace the rear triangular window/chome to get it to align better, so that needs to get retinted/ceramic coated. My guys knew that was a possibility though, so I was already expecting to have to do that.

They said they're going to put these repairs on the highest priority, so I'm curious what that means. Hoping to get the car back soon, but I told them to not rush it as I'd rather them do the job right than hastily.

One day I'll get my car back. :D

I'll report back as an update for those of you who are interested. I've decided to take a chill approach to this. Being pissed off won't help me get it back faster or feel any better about the situation. They're trying to make it right and haven't made any excuses. As long as they keep doing that (and keep me in my model X loaner) I am not really bothered by it.