Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My bikes fit!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No modification ever "voids the warranty" in the sense that you no longer have a warranty. It can't; the law says if a manufacturer offers a warranty, they can't decide to not honor it for arbitrary reasons.

However, if a modification causes any problem, the automaker doesn't have to fix the problem (the burden of proof is on the automaker to show that the modification caused the problem; this is part of why they word things in a scary fashion to discourage people from installing 3rd-party items on their cars; they don't want to fix problems that might have been caused by modifications where they can't prove it). That makes sense. That's the only time your warranty wouldn't be valid.

Of course an automaker can always give you the runaround and it can be hard to enforce this law. But the first hitch I had put on a Tesla was designed, built and installed by a Tesla service manager.

Any negatives to the EcoHitch? I think that a cut has to be made under the car. Could that lead to any problems? Aaron, what's been your experience with that? I did email Tesla, and the representative didn't have any definite answer. Does it affect the warranty?
Thanks,
Nate

The biggest negative is that with the receiver installed I bottom out on certain driveways going out but not in. I go to "very high" on the air suspension and that seems to help. I remove it when I don't plan to use it for a while. It takes a couple of minutes to take it off and then there is no evidence of a hitch visible from the back. You would have to look underneath the car to see the cutout.

With the receiver installed some people might think that it spoils the looks but it makes our Model S look distinctive since there are getting to be so many Model S's here. The same with the Yakima roof rack that I got for the car.

Taking a lead from Wycolo I just bought two Strida LTs. I'm 6' and my wife is 5'3" and although I wouldn't want to do 100 miles on them, we went out for a 10 mile ride yesterday and they were perfectly comfortable. They both fit easily in the trunk...

@nickjhowe and anyone else with a Strida:
Could you tell me if you can fit one Strida (you have 16" wheels?) in the frunk? I am looking for folding bike with belt drive that keeps trunk clear since I have the rear facing seats. Thanks.