Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My adventures in gaining control of my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PS turn off LCD already exists. Is access to setting that inconvenient????

What setting is this? I've never seen such a setting. My desire isn't to turn down the brightness (as I have it set where I want it), but to turn off/on the LCD on demand.

But, the point I was making is some of us want specific things that aren't offered by the minimal UI interface design. Like I know some people want to turn off TACC slowing down for corners. Some Model X owners want to disable the automatic door opening on clicking the unlock on the remote.

For what I want I'm pretty sure Tesla will eventually implement it so there is no need for me to really bother with it. But, I can certainly understand the desire and I wish the OP luck.

What setting is this? I've never seen such a setting. My desire isn't to turn down the brightness (as I have it set where I want it), but to turn off/on the LCD on demand.

But, the point I was making is some of us want specific things that aren't offered by the minimal UI interface design. Like I know some people want to turn off TACC slowing down for corners. Some Model X owners want to disable the automatic door opening on clicking the unlock on the remote.

For what I want I'm pretty sure Tesla will eventually implement it so there is no need for me to really bother with it. But, I can certainly understand the desire and I wish the OP luck.
Try screen cleaning mode

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: masam and hiroshiy
I disagree. Stated that way it sounds like Tesla intend to at some point stop selling cars to individuals and for Tesla to always own all the vehicles they produce. I don't believe that is even close to accurate. For the foreseeable future (meaning this century) individuals will want to own cars for their personal use only. What Elon said in SMP Part Deux is that when fully autonomous driving is a reality and legally allowed on public roads, car owners will have the option of hiring out their cars for others to use when the owner is not using them..

Yeah, I should have stated that differently because it's not the intention as much as the reality of where things are headed. Tesla knows this and they've positioned themselves as an Energy company. Especially with the planned merger with SolarCity. I didn't see that many people take the whole hiring out their cars very seriously. That really won't make sense when there will be fleet companies that have that market covered.

In that future the fleet companies (like Uber) will have a lot of clout in pushing the manufacture (Tesla, or otherwise) for control of the cars they purchase.

But, we're a long ways away from that. In the mean time we as individual consumers need to push for control of the cars we buy.

Last edited:
Try screen cleaning mode

I'm going to feel really stupid if this does what I want.

But, until I test it my understanding/memory of this mode is it simply locks the touch screen and doesn't turn off the screen. I already use a blank website to show a dark image.

If it's not completely off/dark it's not really what I want.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: st50maint and msnow
The lengths people will go to when they feel "wronged" by something, someone, some-anything...

Every owner out there is potentially affected by a thread like this, every single one of us. That's why Jason, and others, haven't been willing to release their exploits and actively work with Tesla to address them. This isn't your hobby computer you're attempting to hack, it's an object that people depend on to transport them safely from point A to point B. If you want to be so cavalier with such things please keep in mind that you're not the only person potentially affected by it.

I'll keep the rest of my thoughts to myself on this one but safe to say, I vehemently disagree with what you are doing.

Jeff

Yup, this is 100% correct, but there is a caveat.

Those who have rooted the car confirmed that the car is running on a fairly old version of the Linux kernel. The only reason to do that is if they patched the kernel. If they did that, they have to release the modifications. Those modifications would only be interesting to competitors and to those looking for exploits in the kernel. All the interesting stuff would be in the user space, as you said.

No, the reason is that new kernel versions break driver interfaces, especially if you are using third party provided drivers (e.g. Nvidia). As a result most companies doing embedded systems freeze on a particular kernel version for a product and never change it.

I think it does what you want.

It doesn't because it doesn't turn off the LCD backlight or the LCD. This mode also leaves a UI interface on the screen to give the user a way to exit this mode.

What I want is a way to turn off the LCD completely (total blackness) where all I have to do is touch the LCD to turn it back on. To be honest the Center console screen doesn't really give me much information anyways unless I'm specifically looking for it (like waze, or what song is playing, etc).

At night I'd rather have it off the majority of the time.

The lengths people will go to when they feel "wronged" by something, someone, some-anything...

Every owner out there is potentially affected by a thread like this, every single one of us. That's why Jason, and others, haven't been willing to release their exploits and actively work with Tesla to address them. This isn't your hobby computer you're attempting to hack, it's an object that people depend on to transport them safely from point A to point B. If you want to be so cavalier with such things please keep in mind that you're not the only person potentially affected by it.

I'll keep the rest of my thoughts to myself on this one but safe to say, I vehemently disagree with what you are doing.

Jeff

To me it all boils down to whether it's a remote exploit.

If I found a remote exploit I would feel OBLIGATED to let Tesla know, and I wouldn't release any information until they had ample time to fix it.

If I found a non-remote exploit I wouldn't share it with anyone (including Tesla) out of fear that Tesla would take it away, and I would lose whatever I was using it for. I'm not concerned about non-remote exploits because of how the Tesla computers/electronics are implemented.

Regardless of the type of exploit, Tesla has a bug bounty to help encourage people to tell them about it first. This is what Jason took advantage of. Tesla paid him for what he found. If he revealed any information he would break the agreement.

Last edited:
No, the reason is that new kernel versions break driver interfaces, especially if you are using third party provided drivers (e.g. Nvidia). As a result most companies doing embedded systems freeze on a particular kernel version for a product and never change it.
You're right except for the "never" comment. Most have a longish upgrade path for bugs and security vulnerabilities among other things. Banks running embedded OS's on ATM's, for example, operate like that.

Jeff

Umm.. Jason himself likes what the OP is doing. So I don't think you can use him as an example. :p

In fact as far as I know the 2-3 people (or so) with root access are largely on the side of the right to own, and the right to repair. Am I mistaken?

What I find even more funny is we have these 2-3 people to thank for saving us from wasting a huge amount of time on talking about theories that aren't valid (like every time people say an update changed AP behavior). Or solving the mystery regarding updates suddenly appearing when you're near a service center.

So why are we going after someone else that wants to allow more people to the same kind of access that allowed those 2-3 people to know what they know?

I can understand things that are very real dangers, but a lot of this just smells like fear mongering.

Last edited:
Really? What performance is that? I thought the reason they couldn't perform as well is that they have fewer cells/less voltage and can't perform at the same level as a 85D/90D.
While it wouldn't be the same performance, it would be better performance.

Pack Swap on 70D to 90kWh HP?

Keep in mind this was with a true 70 pack, the refreshed Teslas have 75 pack even if they are software limited 60.

It doesn't because it doesn't turn off the LCD backlight or the LCD. This mode also leaves a UI interface on the screen to give the user a way to exit this mode.

What I want is a way to turn off the LCD completely (total blackness) where all I have to do is touch the LCD to turn it back on. To be honest the Center console screen doesn't really give me much information anyways unless I'm specifically looking for it (like waze, or what song is playing, etc).

At night I'd rather have it off the majority of the time.

Have you tried black construction paper and velcro? I mean this seriously. Just using the velcro stickies and some sort of black material that you can remove when you want to use the screen?