Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 1 week review with the M3LR, compared to the BMW M135i

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve had my Model 3 LR for a week now and I’ve done a few miles in it, so I thought I'd share my initial thoughts compared to my F40 BMW M135i that I part-ex’d. Just to note, this is the first Tesla I've ever owned.

BADCEC5D-8434-4EA4-A7AA-AE247CE65D1A.jpeg

• The ‘touchscreen for everything’ is taking some adjusting to, I’m sure I’ll get used to it over time with more and more use.
  • Most of the functions that use the cameras aren’t anywhere near as good as you’d hope:
    • The automatic wipers aren’t great.
    • The auto high beam is completely useless.
    • The speed sign recognition is rubbish compared to the BMW.
  • The sound system can rattle the cabin quite a bit. Especially the little speakers in the A pillars at higher volumes on certain tracks. I might log a service appointment for it but don’t want them to faff and make it worse.
  • The built-in Google Maps navigation isn’t as good as Google Maps via CarPlay (live traffic info isn’t as good, and I miss the perspective view when navigating)
  • Spotify seems to update randomly and sometimes not at all. If I make changes to my playlists etc most of the time it doesn’t update for a few drives. Forcing a reboot of the system kicks it into life but this is a dumb workaround.
  • As a result I’m missing CarPlay and Apple Music.
  • The indicator stalks - why can’t they just be normal and hold position? I’ve adjusted to cancelling them etc but still.
  • My car is awaiting the USB ports and wireless charging retrofit - but I suspect my car will be one those where the front USB-C ports won’t carry data. Not happy if that is the case but we shall see.
  • The reverse lights are crap, the M135i used to illuminate my driveway when I was reverse parking onto it. The Tesla doesn’t.
  • I don’t like the ‘bong’ noise when you press the button to close the boot.
  • Talking of the boot, I wish it would open to the highest height automatically. I've already hit my head and now have to make a habit of pushing it open wider if I'm reaching into the back of the boot.
  • The car could really do with a decent heads up display. I really miss that and was one of the best features on the M135i.
  • The BMW had automatic parking (that worked very well) and reverse assistant. Tesla want £3k extra for that functionality as part of the enhanced autopilot upgrade. Nope. Let me pay a few quid for the bits I want.
  • No storage hooks or anchor points in the boot. Had to buy a screw in carrier bag holder thingy.
  • I wish I could move UI elements around on the screen. I’d rather have the nav closer to me and the AP visualisation the other side. Maybe I’ve missed something if that is possible.

• It’s rapid. Even though it’s technically not a lot faster than the M135i was, it feels a lot faster.
  • It’s sooooooo much more comfortable than the BMW was. The seats in the BMW, while they hold you well, we’re absolutely killing my backside and left leg. No issues at all with the Tesla. Might have also been the offset driving position in the BMW.
  • Love the user profiles and easy access feature.
  • Mobile app is excellent. Like being able to quickly warm the cabin and put the heated steering wheel on before getting in. Sharing locations from Google maps to the app works well too.
  • Reading destinations from my sync'd calendar and automatically setting up navigation when I get in the car is great. Every car should allow this.
  • Really like not having to carry a key with me, auto lock and unlock via the phone works really well.
  • I’m a bit of a data nerd, and I’ve set up Teslamate which I really like a lot.
  • Besides the cabin rattles mentioned above at high volumes, the sound system is excellent.
  • Enjoying the larger boot space and the big under-floor storage area. Also the frunk which has the charging cables and maintenance bits I like to keep in the car.
  • The cost to run it is a lot, lot less. I won’t miss putting £70 of petrol in for 350 miles at best. Also won't miss the tax and £40k tax premium either.
  • The Supercharger network, at least so far, works very well and is super easy to use.
  • I like having Netflix in the car. Really useful for burning some time when charging, etc.
  • Autopilot, when on the motorway and on dual carriageways, works really well (except the speed sign recognition as mentioned). It’s especially good in slow moving and stop-start traffic.
  • Single pedal driving is great when you get used to it.
  • It’s a nice cabin to be in. I like the panoramic glass roof. I haven’t done any super long journeys yet but feel it’ll be a nice place to take a trip in.

So yeah, those are my early thoughts on the car. Will see how I get on over the next few months. Probably important to note that I’m the sort of person who can find a fault with just about anything - overall I’m really liking the car so far, no regrets on changing from the BMW.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get that. I'd just like to know what set this precedent in the UK insurance market. Pretty sure a judge would rip an insurance company to shreds for refusing to pay out because you'd put winter tyres on your car in winter.

Meanwhile our friends across the pond seem to be way more keen to swap wheels, add PPF (clear and "colored"), carbon fibre aero kits, etc etc. Yet I've seen zero discussion regarding insurance implications on that part of TMC.

The insurance companies here seem to have us by the short and curlies, and nobody bats an eyelid.

I get that. I'd just like to know what set this precedent in the UK insurance market. Pretty sure a judge would rip an insurance company to shreds for refusing to pay out because you'd put winter tyres on your car in winter.

Meanwhile our friends across the pond seem to be way more keen to swap wheels, add PPF (clear and "colored"), carbon fibre aero kits, etc etc. Yet I've seen zero discussion regarding insurance implications on that part of TMC.

The insurance companies here seem to have us by the short and curlies, and nobody bats an eyelid.
All insurance companies have you by the short n curlies lol. I’m pretty sure most americans would love to have our NHS with all it’s warts n wrinkles over paying an arm n a leg for healthcare. You need an ambulance in UK no problem £0 Sir ….. you need one in USA …”Certainly Sir, what insurance company is it?”
You can walk some streets in London wearing a shitload of bling, Rolex on your wrist etc etc …..other streets you wouldn’t get 10ft while wearing the same. Same with a car, you make it shiny shiny …..there’s always a magpie hanging around thinking “me likey likey I“ll take that”. That’s how insurance companies look at cosmetic changes on cars. Other changes that make a physical difference to handling etc doesn’t have a nice criteria on their screen, it hasn’t been tested by an approved agency in that form …. so to them it’s a bigger risk, hence why you inform them.

I’m pretty sure most americans would love to have our NHS with all it’s warts n wrinkles over paying an arm n a leg for healthcare.

I agree that they should but In reality they don't! Many of them honestly believe that it's one step away from communism (their greatest fear) and that their health system is way better in all respects (and of course it is better in some instances and worse in others).

Reactions: Roy B
I agree that they should but In reality they don't! Many of them honestly believe that it's one step away from communism (their greatest fear) and that their health system is way better in all respects (and of course it is better in some instances and worse in others).
Maybe one step closer lol, but I’d rather that, than lose my house over a medical bill🤣.. each to their own though but this has veared seriously of topic now. The end😁😁

Reactions: Adopado
Mainly because insurance companies will do whatever they can to NOT pay out. A minor mod or tweak to you is a reason to withhold a claim to them. You’re gambling on that, if you don’t inform them.
As an example, to me fitting OEM wheels with winter tyres ….. in winter to my rwd BMW seemed like a sensible thing to do, to lessen the chances of me claiming ….. to my insurance company NOT telling them wouldv been a reason to NOT pay in the event of a claim. Made absolutely no bloody sense at all to me but used to tell them each year, never made an impact on my actual premium …..apart from the lovely admin charge each time for adjusting my documents.
that is nonsense regarding tyres. Tyres are not modifications.

they are if you change the size, or deviate from the manufacturer's specified load index.

Winter tyres used to be an issue - the ABI has mainly stopped it being an issue now:

With regards to a steering wheel to yoke change - I'd imagine insurance companies would have a potential issue coming from both a cosmetic and safety angle.

It may well be nonsense in your eyes but if you have non stock wheels with winter tyres on UK insurers didn’t used to like it. I did say it didn’t change my premium, they just wanted to know about it. Personally as most ppl haven’t a scooby doo on how to drive in cold conditions in UK, I’d rather go down the cautious route. I know I can stop because my car has winter boots on but the guy plowing up my arse his car is still wearing budgie smugglers & bloody flipflops🤦🏼‍♂️.

See the list here of which companies need to be told.
“However, some motor insurers may require you to contact them to let them know if you do choose to fit winter tyres. The name of your insurer and their contact information can be found on your insurance policy documentation (summary details are provided below). It is important to remember that sometimes your motor insurer may be different from the company that sold you your insurance policy.”

I didn’t just change the tyres, I changed the wheels. I had a complete set for summer & a set (smaller diameter wheels bigger sidewalls on tyres) for winter. Just like those that know what they’re doing in winter do ie. Northern European countries.
I still find it amazing that we in UK get summer tyres fitted as OEM parts on new vehicles. We’d be better getting all seasons with the average UK temperature.

it always fascinates me, how insurers, in this case - 3 as per list provided (or anyone) would have an issue if person fits car with winter tyres for winter (same size/load), when all worlds knows that even on wet, at ~8C winter tyres perform better than summer...

I had multiple exchanges with my HR dept few years ago, and my conclusion was: most people are morons.

P.S. as long as tyre is same size and load (which is on the sticker on the side pilar) it make no difference to insurer, as NO MANUFACTURER provides only summer tyre sizes as "default". it is just general tyre size as default, no difference summer or winter. and yes, winter tyres are completely legal to use during summer (not to be mistaken with studded winter tyres).

P.P.S. there's bunch of countries, mostly those with winters, where it is illegal to drive in summer tyres during specific months, while completely ok to be with winter tyres during summer, as long they are not studded.

Last edited:
It may well be nonsense in your eyes but if you have non stock wheels with winter tyres on UK insurers didn’t used to like it. I did say it didn’t change my premium, they just wanted to know about it. Personally as most ppl haven’t a scooby doo on how to drive in cold conditions in UK, I’d rather go down the cautious route. I know I can stop because my car has winter boots on but the guy plowing up my arse his car is still wearing budgie smugglers & bloody flipflops🤦🏼‍♂️.
and that is the biggest problem.
Every winter you have that one or 2 days when country is on it's knees. it super stupid and super funny for me.

if some moron will plow in my rear with his car - well it's his problem and mild inconvenience to me...

“However, some motor insurers may require you to contact them to let them know if you do choose to fit winter tyres. The name of your insurer and their contact information can be found on your insurance policy documentation (summary details are provided below). It is important to remember that sometimes your motor insurer may be different from the company that sold you your insurance policy.”

I didn’t just change the tyres, I changed the wheels. I had a complete set for summer & a set (smaller diameter wheels bigger sidewalls on tyres) for winter. Just like those that know what they’re doing in winter do ie. Northern European countries.
I still find it amazing that we in UK get summer tyres fitted as OEM parts on new vehicles. We’d be better getting all seasons with the average UK temperature.
it is funnier how in UK it seems OK to fit different tread tyres on same axle, as long as "same size" :)))

when local kwik fit garage did that, my first question was: wtf?
they then said - yeah, it's fine.
then I asked - will you do it for your own car?
he said - no.

and that is the biggest problem.
Every winter you have that one or 2 days when country is on it's knees. it super stupid and super funny for me.

if some moron will plow in my rear with his car - well it's his problem and mild inconvenience to me...
I agree completely……however to me as a contractor it’s more than a mild inconvenience…..it’s loss of earnings because I can’t get to work. No work ….no pay. Consequently paying and fitting a complete change of wheels & tyres was a no brainer for me. The problem in UK is that winter tyres are ofetn seen as “snow” tyres which they are not, they’re just a different compound for lower temperatures and different tread pattern to effectively “snowball” the snow onto the tyre ….. snow grips snow.
There’s a great video on YouTube with 3 x 3 series BMW fitted each one fitted with different tyres summer, all season then winter tyres. They have them on an ice rink doing acceleration , braking and a 90deg corner the difference (especially the cornering) is amazing. I had my first set of winter wheels/tyres on a Mercedes 350d E class RWD in 2010, working in Kent. I was driving past ppl stuck in snow or headfirst into hedgerows in a lovely collection of 4wd motors, X5’s, Mercedes, Audi’s etc. All watching mouths agape as I trundle past in my rwd saloon with ease, loved it🤣🤣.

it is funnier how in UK it seems OK to fit different tread tyres on same axle, as long as "same size" :)))

when local kwik fit garage did that, my first question was: wtf?
they then said - yeah, it's fine.
then I asked - will you do it for your own car?
he said - no.

Yeah, never been a fan of that ….same axle same tread for me. If one tyre goes I’ll have 2 new ones bithe the same tread pattern & depth on that axle thanks.

I had my first set of winter wheels/tyres on a Mercedes 350d E class RWD in 2010, working in Kent. I was driving past ppl stuck in snow or headfirst into hedgerows in a lovely collection of 4wd motors, X5’s, Mercedes, Audi’s etc. All watching mouths agape as I trundle past in my rwd saloon with ease, loved it🤣🤣.
It really is night and day on a RWD car ... and the Model 3 has plenty of weight over the rear so in that respect has an advantage over an ICE RWD ... winter performance with the SR+ (with winter tyres) has been an unexpected delight!

Reactions: Xdama
Interesting reading a "fresh viewpoint", I've had my M3 for 2 1/2 years and agree with a lot if it, though I love the car so I suppose I just overlook it's few weaknesses. Not sure I understand the indicator issue - if you press lightly, it self cancels after 3 flashes; if you press hard, it stays on until you turn the wheel back and I find this works pretty well. BTW there are shopping bag hooks in the Frunk and the sub-storage in the boot is ideal for the cables. Never had a problem with the auto headlights myself.

Reactions: GRiLLA and DM206433
Interesting reading a "fresh viewpoint", I've had my M3 for 2 1/2 years and agree with a lot if it, though I love the car so I suppose I just overlook it's few weaknesses. Not sure I understand the indicator issue - if you press lightly, it self cancels after 3 flashes; if you press hard, it stays on until you turn the wheel back and I find this works pretty well. BTW there are shopping bag hooks in the Frunk and the sub-storage in the boot is ideal for the cables. Never had a problem with the auto headlights myself.
I've got used to the indicators pretty quickly so its now a non-issue, but when it comes to roundabouts it requires more presses vs a traditional indicator stalk.

Using the frunk for shopping I find less convenient as I can open the boot by just walking up to it and hitting the button on the car itself, can't do that with the frunk and would have to pull my mobile out of my pocket. Added one of those screw in shopping bag hooks to the exposed screw and that works fine.

Auto full beam is the issue rather than the auto headlights. Its utterly useless.

I'm confused by the indicator stalks. They behave exactly as my previous BMW 4 series GC did - they moved in the last few years to non-moving stalks so even when 'staying on' they aren't physically higher or lower (thats my recollection at least). And they do the same 'small movement = 3 flashes then off'/'hard push stays on' as the Tesla does. As far as I can tell they're identical between the cars.

I do wish they had a way to adjust the sensitivity of the auto wipers and/or intermittent wipe speed using the stalk. Almost to the point where I'd consider basic stalk controls should be mandated by law for safety reasons. Wiper controls, light controls, indicators - all on two stalks like 99% of cars.

Reactions: browellm
I'm confused by the indicator stalks. They behave exactly as my previous BMW 4 series GC did - they moved in the last few years to non-moving stalks so even when 'staying on' they aren't physically higher or lower (thats my recollection at least). And they do the same 'small movement = 3 flashes then off'/'hard push stays on' as the Tesla does. As far as I can tell they're identical between the cars.

I do wish they had a way to adjust the sensitivity of the auto wipers and/or intermittent wipe speed using the stalk. Almost to the point where I'd consider basic stalk controls should be mandated by law for safety reasons. Wiper controls, light controls, indicators - all on two stalks like 99% of cars.
Mercedes manage the gear selector on the column plus another stalk which controls, wipers, indicator, hi/low beam functions or certainly did in 2010 when I had my E class. Worked very well.

Auto full beam is the issue rather than the auto headlights. Its utterly useless.
People get very passionate about this, however it does thoroughly confuse me what the issue is. When it can see head or taillights ahead the headlights dip pretty quickly, it's certainly never taken long enough for anyone to complain to me. My last car didn't have it so I don't have a frame of reference whether it's quick or slow.

Pushing the left stalk switches between dipped and Auto Full Beam, so if I don't want the possibility of full beam (e.g. on a Motorway, in a built up area) I just push the stalk.

I understand it's not fancy matrix lights that are available as an expensive 'add-on pack' for some of the premium brands, I knew that when purchasing.

Reactions: Fairchild