Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX Car camping with E-Bike--Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning a solo car camping with my MX. Destination is a camping spot 40 miles from a Supercharger. I have an e-bike on order-there are really cool biking trails close to the campsite. Campsite is primitive--no utilities. Question, Is is possible to recharge my e-bike using an inverter in the 12v outlet from my MX? My Ebike batteries are 625 & 500 wats so, even if I lose efficiency with an inverter the 100D battery could charge the Ebike batteries many times over and still leave ample charge to make it back to the SC. Big question is will the 12v outlet/inverter handle the charging load safely?

On my MX I'm using the trailer ebrake 4 pin wiring harness plugin for power for my dashcam. I think it is 20 amps if I recall correctly (Y, found in manual). That would be 240 watts = 20 amperes * 12 volts.

Unclear your use case and if you are wanting to recharge up during the day in X amount of time vs overnight?

faq051_hh_500-jpg.99142

Tesla X manual:
EFbGHPU.jpg

Last edited:
I'm content to have the Ebike batteries recharge overnight from the MX, That would give a nice long ride every day.
Seems like the brake controller would easily work for you.

I don't think the power plug is 20 amps. ... Found 15a in manual: "The 12V power sockets are suitable for accessories requiring up to 11A continuous draw (15A peak) or a maximum of 150 continuous watts (180 watts peak)."

First 1.5 minutes of this video shows where it is trailer plug is.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot