Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Touts ‘Quantum Leap” in Full Self-Driving Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A “quantum leap” improvement is coming to Tesla’s Autopilot software in six to 10 weeks, Chief Executive Elon Musk said a tweet.

Musk called the new software a “fundamental architectural rewrite, not an incremental tweak.”

Musk said his personal car is running a “bleeding edge alpha build” of the software, which he also mentioned during Tesla’s Q2 earnings. 

“So it’s almost getting to the point where I can go from my house to work with no interventions, despite going through construction and widely varying situations,” Musk said on the earnings call. “So this is why I am very confident about full self-driving functionality being complete by the end of this year, is because I’m literally driving it.”

Tesla’s Full Self-Driving software has been slow to roll out against the company’s promises. Musk previously said a Tesla would drive from Los Angeles to New York using the Full Self Driving feature by the end of 2019. The company didn’t meet that goal. So, it will be interesting to see the state of Autopilot at the end of 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lidar operates at a wavelength not visible to the human eye.
Sorry but when you use a laser mouse with your computer on the back you didn't see the laser but you have "warning don't .....on your eyes"

//

Laser pulses of sufficient power at 1550 nm can damage the cornea and lens, but the thresholds are higher than for the retina at shorter wavelengths because the cornea and lens are less sensitive than the retina and the light is not focused within the eye as it is on the retina.Sep 25, 2019
https://www.laserfocusworld.com/blo...lses of sufficient power,it is on the retina.
Safety questions raised about 1550 nm lidar | Laser Focus World

//
The Disrupters: Some LiDARs could cause blindness, warns Aeye – TU Automotive
//

In long terme is millions of lasers deployed !

Results, results, results. That will show the best. Not demo's, not speeches.

Yup, and here they are a decade into their little project with all the funding they could desire, and their "BEST" has produced very little useful to the end user. Like I said elsewhere, they are a great PhD thesis project, not a business plan.

What results does Tesla have? Tell me. Does Tesla have cars that can drive completely on their own with no driver? Waymo does.

What results does Tesla have? Tell me. Does Tesla have cars that can drive completely on their own with no driver? Waymo does.
Dude, just put me on your ignore list. Or go play a Waymo playlist on YouTube on repeat.

Waymo has a pretty little project on rails in a pretty little sandbox in the desert.
Oh, and one I still cannot get approved to even try out. Nice try.

Waymo paradise....
upload_2020-8-20_16-37-42.png

upload_2020-8-20_16-37-48.png

• Disagree
Reactions: diplomat33
Dude, just put me on your ignore list. Or go play a Waymo playlist on YouTube on repeat.

Waymo has a pretty little project on rails in a pretty little sandbox in the desert.

Waymo paradise....
Until we have more than 1 company with self-driving cars that work all the time in perfect weather, we can pretty much ignore the weather conditions. Unfortunately Tesla's do not drive themselves even in perfect weather yet.

Waymo does one thing right by focusing their efforts in an area with perfect weather most of the year, as it increases their available testing days. Only when that works well it makes sense to iterate to another area with worse weather.

Waymo paradise....
View attachment 578740
View attachment 578741

What you call a PhD project on rails has 20M FSD miles, has cars that can drive themselves with no driver in them and is actually accepting thousands passengers per month. That's some PhD project. :rolleyes:

You are making fun of Waymo for having FSD that works in nice weather? HA HA. Tesla cannot even do FSD in those perfect conditions.

You should probably ignore me since you want to live in your little Tesla fantasy bubble.

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Tesla's claims cause the most cognitive dissonance compared to the current state of Autopilot. The skepticism is warranted.
I do think that their claims vs what is available in cars right now is causing most of the bashing. Instead of waiting for the rewrite to land, they jump to the conclusion that it's impossible.
But then - in my opinion - the cognitive dissonance is in ppl that watch a demo or ninety from Waymo but have never actually been able to test their claims (I know ... BUT there is video out there)...

Tesla also has a video or two of FSD. Doesn't help me in any meaningful way though, does it.

But we have video's - at least 2 - that say otherwise!
Demo is all we need for FSD at least on the threads where @diplomat33 treads!

So Tesla puts out 2 simple demos and that's proof that Tesla can do FSD? But Waymo has 20M FSD miles and that's just a "PhD project"? Your bias is really showing.

By the way, speaking of demos. When can we expect to be able to do the 2016 FSD demo?

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
ah, yes keep on moving the goal posts.
robotaxis are there to taxi ppl... Tesla just allows you to sit in the "driver" seat.

Except we are not just passengers in the driver seat, are we? Tesla says that we must supervise at all times and the driver has to intervene all the time on AP.

Tesla does put out....
they put out that Autopilot has made our roads much safer compared to the alternative. Actual lives being saved daily/hourly!

Let me point you to their Vehicle Safety Report... Tesla Vehicle Safety Report

But not FSD. AP is L2.

Here is that cognitive dissonance again...

In their demos that's what they were.

We are talking about the Autonomy Investor Day demo they showed, right?

I was directly responding to your post about Tesla's safety report which was about AP which is L2.

But ok, let's talk about the Autonomy Day demo. Tesla put out 1 demo of 12 miles on mostly highway. That's good enough for you?