Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk: Tesla working on new Summon that uses all AP cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
This is exciting:

upload_2018-10-18_8-48-42.png

It makes sense. Now that V9 is using all 8 cameras, it would stand to reason that Summon should start using them as well. I would surmise that this new Summon in the works is the "Smart Summon" promised on the website where summon can move your car around bends. With the use of cameras, this should be possible. Eventually, with FSD, this camera based summon should lead to the feature where we get out of the car in front of a building and the car finds a parking space and parks itself.

In any case, I suspect we are going to get a radically better summon.

A radically better summon is an explicit promise in FSD- so that one was coming was never really a question.

WHEN it's coming remains one.

True, we don't know when the new summon will be available. It might be a year or more before it happens. But at least now, we know that they've started work on it. Before V9, we just had a lot of website promises and no indication of anything. Now with V9, we know that the AP is using all 8 cameras so at least the building blocks are there to really make some of these promises happen.

I'd rather they spend the time on an useful AP function.

Other than Drive on Nav, which appears to already be 99% done, there are no more AP functions to add.

EAP is feature complete after Drive on Nav comes out.

Doubtless they'll still make small improvements on how well it does the things it does, but there's no additional functionality promised from the feature.

Shouldn’t the hypersonic sensors be more than enough for a feature like summon?

They are ultrasonic sensors, not hypersonic sensors.

They are good enough if you just want the summon that we have now that can slowly inch the car forward or backwards. Although I would argue that the ultrasonic sensors don't really do a great job at that. But Musk wants Summon to be much more than that. The summon that Musk wants and that Tesla has promised on the website for awhile now cannot be done with just the ultrasonic sensors. A summon where the car gets out of your garage, turns around the corner of your house and picks you up at your front door or the summon where the car pulls out of a parking space and comes picks you up at the front of the store, that's the summon that Musk wants and that cannot be done reliably with just ultrasonic sensors but really requires the cameras. And that's the short term goal. Remember the long term goal is a "FSD summon" where you can summon your car from across town to come pick you up. That definitely cannot be done with just the ultrasonic sensors. So based on what Tesla wants Summon to do, no, the ultrasonic sensors are no longer enough.

I guess it depends on what's included in Smart Summon. If I can summon it from work and then I would say it's part of FSD. If it just does what it does now, but more accurately then it's part of EAP.

Autopilot

Tesla said:
Smart Summon

With Smart Summon, your car will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around objects as necessary to come find you.

The image shows the car pulling out of the garage and driving around the corner of a house.
So, more than the straight line it does now, but nothing on the road.

They'd obvious need to differentiate between "unsummon" and "summon" more than now.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod and Joel