Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Teases Features of Tesla’s Version 10 Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla’s Version 10 software will start rolling out as early as next month, Chief Executive Elon Musk said.

“Depends on how release to owners with early access goes, but hopefully wide release by end of August,” Musk said on Twitter in a reply to a question about when to expect deployment of the software.

Musk also teased several new features included in the release, such as new games, streaming video options, and improvements to self-driving features like Autopilot and Smart Summon.

Streaming video is sure to be a popular feature, since major platforms like Netflix and YouTube will be available on the Tesla dashboard.

“Ability to stream YouTube & Netflix when car is stopped coming to your Tesla soon! Has an amazingly immersive, cinematic feel due to the comfy seats & surround sound audio,” Musk said on Twitter. “[Coming in] Maybe August, not more than a few months.”

Tesla released Version 9 software in September 2018, which was the first significant overhaul in years. It seems the company believes the next update is hefty enough for a new numbered version.

What features would you like to see in the new software?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to be able choose what 3 quick buttons are on the 'cards' screen. Personally I do not care for the charging button there. I would like the fog light button, or maybe the phone.

And I'd like to control the heating/cooling fan without opening the entire window. I want to drag left or right over the fan icon.

I like that idea. The charging can be accessed via the battery icon, so customization would be very welcome!

Reactions: scottm
It would be great if Model S/X can use phones as keys without internet (using bluetooth) like Mode 3.

It would be even better if we can use phones to control the car through bluetooth. I camped in my MX (airbed with back seats folded flat). With internet, I can change climate control with my phone. But without signal, I have to unlock one of the doors to turn on the center screen then reach out to change temperature settings on the center screen. Even time I do this, the car turns on the signature lights which are very bright at night and may wake up other campers.

V10!? Please show me a UI that is finally worthy of being a real CAR DRIVER interface, you know, to access functions quickly with ease and less distraction and menu digging and pecking.

Make the text labels and touch targets BIGGER to see them at a glance. Without reaching for reading glasses first. The hit zones should be designed so you can poke at them with peripheral vision. Take that as a design challenge. The screen real estate is there!! USE IT. Tiny labels centered in a box area of non distinct shape... this is tragic UI design faux pas for a car.

Add color!
Bring back the color please. The V9 diluted milky muted grey tones of everything looks like crap on my model S ... who killed the contrast in the UI. Why is nothing black anymore. Why is red now pink? Adjusting brightness does nothing to help. More ubiquitous milky grey sea of text and pictures. OMG who picked that color pallette?

Basic stuff Tesla, focus on the basics please.

Keep your V10 back until you address these things.

Please. Make. the. car. usable.

Two things I want:

1) Altitude shown in current vehicle location message at the bottom of the Nav screen. This is probably less than 10 lines of code, since the altitude data comes with the GPS lat-long data. Very interesting when driving in mountains. Not much good around Fremont!

2) Make the ultrasonic proximity detection work like just about every other car, i.e., audio pulses that increase in repetition rate as one approaches an object. I hate having to look down at a display to see how close I'm getting to something while I'm trying to back into a parking spot! My Audi has a different tone for front or rear detection, and that would be a great idea as well.

I would like to see additional information displayed when reversing, not just the rear view camera, but also some help to avoid obstacles at the front left and right areas. This would be especially useful for reverse parking etc.

I would like to see additional information displayed when reversing, not just the rear view camera, but also some help to avoid obstacles at the front left and right areas. This would be especially useful for reverse parking etc.

If you had audible cues (beeping with a rate proportional to separation) for obstacles with a different audio frequency for front/rear, you could keep your head up and swiveling while backing/parking rather than having to look down at some display.

Yes, wiper logic upgrade would be great. I'd add a couple others:

1. Podcast integration fixes (caching, state maintenance)
  2. Expanded voice support (inc ambient activation)
  3. Meta-data fixes (frequently incorrect meta data and cover art)
  4. Menu cleanup / consistency / simplification (multiple paths to items, ambiguous locations, inconsistent structures)
  5. Browser usability/speed/keyboard usability
  6. Native Spotify, Pandora and iHeartRadio support (among others)
  7. Map integrations & partnerships (Spot Hero,
  8. Expanded audio settings / preferences tied
  9. Audio settings tied to driver profile

I’m a little surprised at some of the things that are not mentioned by anyone which I would think many people would want. Here are a few of my highest priorities.

Phone: Contacts are transferred— why aren’t favorites available too? Why should I have to scroll through the entire contacts list? For recent calls, a click should bring up the contact card so I can choose which number to call or select an address for navigation. And of course, messaging. Virtually all the functions of CarPlay are a available in the browser through iCloud.com EXCEPT iMessage. If it is a cost issue make it available for an extra charge, but cars costing 1/4 of my MX have this.

Browser: On this great screen the absence of tabs is ridiculous. Cookies should be an option, and it could be turned off in valet mode. Having to re-enter information every time a site is accessed is very annoying. It does not appear that GPS information is a available to the browser so many useful functions are unavailable. Hyperlinks for phone numbers should dial and addresses should pass to navigation.

Cameras: others have mentioned this but It would be extremely helpful to be able to select either right, left or rear cameras (or even a split screen view) at various times. When I’m trying to merge into traffic it is very hard to see oncoming vehicles in many situations. Also as a former BMW owner, the overhead view is really helpful when parking.

Third party apps: I understand the security issues involved in opening up too much access to the car’s operations but a limited API giving a developer access to the screen for specialized apps would be a game changer. Look what it did for the iPhone. Without it, we are dependent on Tesla to devote resources to create apps and that obviously isn’t gonna happen.

If V10 is rolling out in August we we probably wasting our time with these feature requests unless they were already in the pipeline but I dearly hope someone is paying attention to this thread other than us

V10!? Please show me a UI that is finally worthy of being a real CAR DRIVER interface, you know, to access functions quickly with ease and less distraction and menu digging and pecking.

Make the text labels and touch targets BIGGER to see them at a glance. Without reaching for reading glasses first. The hit zones should be designed so you can poke at them with peripheral vision. Take that as a design challenge. The screen real estate is there!! USE IT. Tiny labels centered in a box area of non distinct shape... this is tragic UI design faux pas for a car.

Add color!
Bring back the color please. The V9 diluted milky muted grey tones of everything looks like crap on my model S ... who killed the contrast in the UI. Why is nothing black anymore. Why is red now pink? Adjusting brightness does nothing to help. More ubiquitous milky grey sea of text and pictures. OMG who picked that color pallette?

Basic stuff Tesla, focus on the basics please.

Keep your V10 back until you address these things.

Please. Make. the. car. usable.

I second this plea. Anyone over 50 will be much more likely to have problems reading the small text, having to spend more time to try and decipher the little blur on the screen. Case in point: first time I tried NOA, I could not read the fine print in the little icons that came up alerting of pending actions.,

Also, UI designers should not assume everyone has perfect color perception. User acceptance testing must include folks who are color-blind and, for example, cannot distinguish red from green from various shades of orange. Any visual cues that relate to safety MUST be unambiguous to the color-blind.

Reactions: FlyF4
I second this plea. Anyone over 50 will be much more likely to have problems reading the small text, having to spend more time to try and decipher the little blur on the screen. Case in point: first time I tried NOA, I could not read the fine print in the little icons that came up alerting of pending actions.,

Also, UI designers should not assume everyone has perfect color perception. User acceptance testing must include folks who are color-blind and, for example, cannot distinguish red from green from various shades of orange. Any visual cues that relate to safety MUST be unambiguous to the color-blind.

While not color blind myself, I understand 20% of the world’s population has some level of color-blindness. I second the call for larger font for those of us over 50!

Being able to view Sentry vids on the main screen AND manage the USB from the UI. No more removing USB.

Yeah these two updates would be a great quality of life update to Sentry mode since it's currently in v1

I'm also hoping with v10 that when turning on your turn signal, the side repeater cameras appear on the display similar to the rear back up camera. Another safety feature to improve lane changing and blindspot when changing lanes

Last edited: