Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS LR Brake Squeak AFTER Fully Stopping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone has any idea why there would be a squeaking noise coming from what seems to be the brakes, AFTER the car fully stops. It’s as if the noise is coming from the momentum rebound or suspension after the car stops.

No squeak when stopping via regen, only when I press the brakes; harder the stop, louder the sound. Also no squeaks while the car is coming to a stop when braking.

Wonder if it’s normal or something I need to take to service to look at.

Last edited:
Dropped by tesla today, on the test drive they also heard the same creaking(?) sound while braked and turning the yoke. They think it’s the control arm seizing up.

No clue what that means but they couldn’t hoist the car up because they had a power outage. Will try on Monday.

Dropped by tesla today, on the test drive they also heard the same creaking(?) sound while braked and turning the yoke. They think it’s the control arm seizing up.

No clue what that means but they couldn’t hoist the car up because they had a power outage. Will try on Monday.
Control arm isn’t to bad. But disturbing on such a new car. Control arms often are never replaced on most ICE cars. Last time I needed a new one was on a 1969 Dodge Charger.

Might be one of those loose bolts type issues that come up far to often with Tesla.

Brought it in today to get it looked at.

Turns out it was just the slippage of the brakes on the rebound, after the car stops, causing the noise. Occurs when you don’t use the brakes normally (my situation as I’ve gotten pretty used to the regen).

For others’ reference: they fixed the noise by doing a brake burnish (essentially wearing a layer of the brakes), but noted the sound will come back if I don’t use my brakes normally.

Hmm, I don’t buy it.

My lifetime currently is 250 wh/mi on Model S Refresh (only 2k miles though). Just did a 250 mile trip this weekend and got 240 wh/mi. My point being I one pedal drive all the time and no squeaks. Normal use of brakes while one pedal driving should keep things in shape. My model X lifetime was right at EPA rating of 300 wh/mi. No squeaks in 26K miles.

I’m not sure if it’s better they be wrong than right on this. You shouldn’t have to burn up your watt savings to burnish the brakes to prevent squeaking. I think we’d see way more reports of this if “good” one pedal driving causing it.

I bet it returns within a week.

How do your rotors look? Are they shiny and smooth? Mine are gleaming.

I am careful to always drive the car immediately after I wash it. Or make sure I drive it the next day after a rain. I do this on all cars.

Thanks for the follow up.

Hmm, I don’t buy it.

My lifetime currently is 250 wh/mi on Model S Refresh (only 2k miles though). Just did a 250 mile trip this weekend and got 240 wh/mi. My point being I one pedal drive all the time and no squeaks. Normal use of brakes while one pedal driving should keep things in shape. My model X lifetime was right at EPA rating of 300 wh/mi. No squeaks in 26K miles.

I’m not sure if it’s better they be wrong than right on this. You shouldn’t have to burn up your watt savings to burnish the brakes to prevent squeaking. I think we’d see way more reports of this if “good” one pedal driving causing it.

I bet it returns within a week.

How do your rotors look? Are they shiny and smooth? Mine are gleaming.

I am careful to always drive the car immediately after I wash it. Or make sure I drive it the next day after a rain. I do this on all cars.

Thanks for the follow up.
I don’t know if I fully understand the issue either, but the fact that the burnished the brakes and it resolved the noise suggests the original issue was something related to the brakes doesn’t it?

In which case, I don’t know what else to push them to look at. Service invoice noted they inspected brakes and suspension and noted no issues on either.

Took a pic of the rotors, not sure what to look for.

Attachments

• 7F522775-E9EA-47B7-B6C0-3BD4F166E7AE.jpeg
    7F522775-E9EA-47B7-B6C0-3BD4F166E7AE.jpeg
    453.9 KB · Views: 285
Rotors look fine. Would of been nice to see before they burnished the brakes.

I hear ya on the it’s working now. Just because they slammed the brakes a bit doesn’t mean it’s not something in the suspension.

Let’s say two rusty metal parts (it’s normal to have some parts have surface rust) and they are rubbing causing the squeak. Now you slam the brakes a few times and they are polished metal not squeaking. Or they shifted.

I just have this feeling the squeak will be back. Like I said, not sure I want them to be right. I’d rather it be a faulty suspension part than to worry about the brakes.

I have this same exact issue! Tesla tells me no issues, but that can’t be the case. I burnish all the time and it just comes back later in the day. Anyone have ANY suggestions? I can’t deal with the noise and am desperate for a solution!

@leonwu How are they holding up?
Its back again for me after 2 weeks. The fact that burnishing the brakes temporarily resolves the issue through suggests it must be driven by the brakes. If it is a suspension or any other matter, burnishing the brakes shouldn't help.

@gjankulovski do you have the 21" arachnids or the 19" tempest? I'm wondering if it is something to do with the 21" arachnids and the size/grip of the tires relative to the brakes, giving more rebound when fully stopped. I never had the noise when I had my 19" winter tires mounted.

Its back again for me after 2 weeks. The fact that burnishing the brakes temporarily resolves the issue through suggests it must be driven by the brakes. If it is a suspension or any other matter, burnishing the brakes shouldn't help.

Hate to clue you but a whole lot of parts in the suspension are stressed when you hit the brakes.

Could easily be a ball joint or bushing that is squeaking. In fact, I highly suspect that is the case.

It makes zero sense that the “burnishing” rotors stops squeak like that. Now if it was a squeak as you stopped, sure. But after the rotor is locked and the suspension relaxes. The only parts moving is the suspension.

makes sense stressing the suspension might change a faulty suspension component to temporary stop squeaking. Not polishing up the rotors.

Could be in the air suspension or even in the body too.

Are you running aero covers? Try removing them. Also check torque on all lugs. Long shot on both those but worth a shot.

Does it happen at all suspension heights. That should give a huge hint. If rotor that wouldn’t change with height. But probably would change if suspension.

Oh on brakes. It could be the back of a pad squeaking. Or caliper not floating/sliding over the rotor.

Last edited:
Hate to clue you but a whole lot of parts in the suspension are stressed when you hit the brakes.

Could easily be a ball joint or bushing that is squeaking. In fact, I highly suspect that is the case.

It makes zero sense that the “burnishing” rotors stops squeak like that. Now if it was a squeak as you stopped, sure. But after the rotor is locked and the suspension relaxes. The only parts moving is the suspension.

makes sense stressing the suspension might change a faulty suspension component to temporary stop squeaking. Not polishing up the rotors.

Could be in the air suspension or even in the body too.

Are you running aero covers? Try removing them. Also check torque on all lugs. Long shot on both those but worth a shot.

Does it happen at all suspension heights. That should give a huge hint. If rotor that wouldn’t change with height. But probably would change if suspension.

Oh on brakes. It could be the back of a pad squeaking. Or caliper not floating/sliding over the rotor.
I'll try it on various suspension settings.
Have 21" arachnids so no wheel covers.

Not sure how to push Tesla to check ball joints/bushings - they keep telling me its not an issue. Also, the issue isnt replicated when regen braking is used, which would presumably drive some suspension stress.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to figure out how to get them to look more into it. Not too familiar with the brake/caliper cause.

Last edited:
I'll try it on various suspension settings.
Have 21" arachnids so no wheel covers.

Not sure how to push Tesla to check ball joints/bushings - they keep telling me its not an issue. Also, the issue isnt replicated when regen braking is used, which would presumably drive some suspension stress.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to figure out how to get them to look more into it. Not too familiar with the brake/caliper cause.
That’s always a challenge with SC.

If you can narrow it down it might help.

I have a hunch it will change on different suspension heights. And if it does that points to not being rotor condition because the rotors and calipers should mostly go through the same mechanics on any height. But suspension does change quite a bit on different heights.

When you brake the nose goes down. When you stop nose returns. I suspect it’s that motion of returning that is squeaking.

That’s always a challenge with SC.

If you can narrow it down it might help.

I have a hunch it will change on different suspension heights. And if it does that points to not being rotor condition because the rotors and calipers should mostly go through the same mechanics on any height. But suspension does change quite a bit on different heights.

When you brake the nose goes down. When you stop nose returns. I suspect it’s that motion of returning that is squeaking.
It doesn’t happen with regen breaking though, no matter how hard regen brakes.

It also doesn’t squeak when I push the nose down (which I often have to do when closing the stupid frunk).

Will report back this evening after I try at various suspension. My neighbors are going to think I got geese running around.

It doesn’t happen with regen breaking though, no matter how hard regen brakes.

It also doesn’t squeak when I push the nose down (which I often have to do when closing the stupid frunk).

Will report back this evening after I try at various suspension. My neighbors are going to think I got geese running around.
Regen braking has very different mechanics and aggressiveness.

Like I said it could still could be a brake component too. But how shiny (or lack of) your rotors are should not be the root cause of this. And if it does, it’s a design flaw. A lot happens if you “burnish the brakes”. Your working and heating up pads, your forcing calipers to slide, forcing nose down aggressively.

I’m worried many of us will eventually experience it.

Regen braking has very different mechanics and aggressiveness.

Like I said it could still could be a brake component too. But how shiny (or lack of) your rotors are should not be the root cause of this. And if it does, it’s a design flaw. A lot happens if you “burnish the brakes”. Your working and heating up pads, your forcing calipers to slide, forcing nose down aggressively.

I’m worried many of us will eventually experience it.
Should calipes be sliding or should they be fixed?

so reporting back - went out this afternoon trying to test the honking sound when hard braking at various suspensions…

For some odd reason, the sound is gone at the moment, at any suspension height (didn’t burnish the brakes either). Really confused what’s causing it.

Itll probably eventually come back and will do the suspension test then.