Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motorcycle Ramp for a Segway GT1 weighs 100 lb

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to find a way to be able to take my Segway GT1 which is a super scooter. It's massive and it's about 100 pounds. I can lift it into the car and it will fit, but it's not easy to do it all the time. But I'm willing to do it sometimes so I can take this scooter to places like the beach. So I can enjoy a high performance scooter that goes 30 mph and has much better range than the normal Segways, but it comes at the price of being really heavy. But for what it is I'm surprised it can still fit inside a Model Y, especially that it is egg shaped which limits the kind of stuff you can take like large chairs or bikes.

It does fit into the Model Y pretty comfortably as long as there is nothing else in the car, it needs to be tilted down. Only in a boxy car like a Lexus GX, I can leave the thing standing. The handle bar stem folds down but a big chunk of it is still vertical and doesn't go all the way down like most regular Segway scooters.

But every time I have to lift the 100 lb scooter and I can do it but it's not something I want to do all the time by myself. The grab points are very shallow and small and it pinches my fingers and I have to be very careful not to drop it.

If I had a ramp I think it will make it much easier. Hopefully the ramp can fold and fit inside the Model Y. I'm thinking like a slim motorcycle ramp that is kind of long. Because the basic rule of physics it is easier to move a very heavy item over a longer distance (a ramp) than a shorter distance (me lifting it off the ground). So how long should a ramp be to easily get a 100lb super scooter into the car every time?

Just spit balling here, but maybe a couple of 1X6 boards from Home Depot. I originally thought 2X6 but 1X6 may be strong enough to do it.

Not sure how long will fit in the MY. What I'm thinking is either get one long board or 2 shorter ones. If you get one long board, cut it in half. Take the 2 boards and attach them together with a simple hinge. You can then fold the boards for transport in the car. When you want to roll the scooter in, you unfold them, invert the boards so that the hinge is on top and it's now one rigid piece that you can roll the scooter up. At only 100 lbs I don't think you need to worry too much about grip.