Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motion Sickness - New Shocks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 MY LR with MPP Lift Kit. 35K miles. Recently passengers have started to complain about motion sickness. Nothing wrong but I suspect that the shocks have worn thus it sways more. It is a heavier than normal car and with it higher than normal it wouldn't surprise me that the torque on the shocks are higher.

Is the solution just new shocks? Should I get a new MPP coilover? Do I need strut or any other type of suspension work?

ccwsf: MPP Lift Kit only, or combined with strut upgrade?

I've got 37k miles (47k on the car) on MPP coilovers, from July 2021. Still very stable at all speeds, I like them very much.

Motion sickness? My back seat rarely gets used, so I'm no help there.

If you're not in Chill mode I'd give that a go when passengers are on board and see if it helps. I've come to enjoy chill mode myself, to the point where I think chill should've been standard / default and standard should've been sport. Just my humble opinion.

Many people attribute motion sickness to the regen. Not the fact that the car regens itself but that if the driver isn't "stable" in their application of the accelerator pedal they might make the car accel/decel/accel all the time. Try to keep your foot more stable if you can (or try TACC/AP to see if it helps). This effect would obviously be compounded if you have a softer suspension and/or are lifted.

Many people attribute motion sickness to the regen. Not the fact that the car regens itself but that if the driver isn't "stable" in their application of the accelerator pedal they might make the car accel/decel/accel all the time. Try to keep your foot more stable if you can (or try TACC/AP to see if it helps). This effect would obviously be compounded if you have a softer suspension and/or are lifted.
Understood. This is a relatively new problem. I'm thinking the shocks have just "worn out"...

I get that. But I've had the lift kit for 3 years now. This is a new thing. I'm figuring the lift kit causes faster wear in the shocks (much as the regen/heaviness causes faster tire wear).
So same passengers that have already ridden in the back, and now they're getting motion sickness? Just trying to figure out the constants, and the variables.
If the shocks are blown, then the back will get bouncy (in any car, not just a Tesla).
The best is when this happens in a cab.. or if they're constantly on the gas/brakes.. makes for a great cab ride.

You should be able to tell if the shocks are toast if you enlist the help of a friend. Either your friend drives your car, and you drive behind - and watch for the wheels to chatter over even the slightest bumps/pot holes (or vice versa, you drive - friend watches). After a bump or pot hole, the shock should dampen the chattering, and it should stop instantly. If the wheel visibly continues to bounce - then the shock isn't doing it's job.

Last edited:
So same passengers that have already ridden in the back, and now they're getting motion sickness? Just trying to figure out the constants, and the variables.
If the shocks are blown, then the back will get bouncy (in any car, not just a Tesla).
The best is when this happens in a cab.. or if they're constantly on the gas/brakes.. makes for a great cab ride.

You should be able to tell if the shocks are toast if you enlist the help of a friend. Either your friend drives your car, and you drive behind - and watch for the wheels to chatter over even the slightest bumps/pot holes (or vice versa, you drive - friend watches). After a bump or pot hole, the shock should dampen the chattering, and it should stop instantly. If the wheel visibly continues to bounce - then the shock isn't doing it's job.
Ok. Thanks. Are shocks either working or not (aka digital)? Or do their performance degrade over time?

Seems simple enough just to swap the shocks and see whether it solves the problem.

2020 MY LR with MPP Lift Kit. 35K miles. Recently passengers have started to complain about motion sickness. Nothing wrong but I suspect that the shocks have worn thus it sways more. It is a heavier than normal car and with it higher than normal it wouldn't surprise me that the torque on the shocks are higher.

Is the solution just new shocks? Should I get a new MPP coilover? Do I need strut or any other type of suspension work?
I hear the same from my pilot friends, their wife’s won’t fly with them. We go to lunch in their plane, they fly rough, make very abrupt turns and altitude corrections. I’ve been a pilot for 52 years and I’m getting queazy. I tell them to fly with two fingers, but they don’t get it.

Pretty sure it’s the way you drive. Try driving smoother.