Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moderation Feedback requested: Software update threads in this section

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3 / Y, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
(Moderation feedback requested)

Hello TMC Model 3 section members. As those of you who have been around here know, whenever there is a new update, there are usually a few threads that pop up in this section about it. This morning, I removed a thread that was a "master thread", because it was about a software update version that has long since passed.

The "right" place for software update posts is the forum on TMC dedicated for that purpose, which is here: Software: Firmware Updates, Features, Tesla App

but saying that, there will likely always be people who create threads about it in this section, and there is also the possibility of model 3s getting some specific feature or other in an update that some other teslas dont get (or vis versa).

My personal opinion is, because there will likely always be a desire to discuss software updates in this section (as well as the dedicated forum for it) that we should have a dedicated master thread that is generic that those posts can go into. Something like : Master Thread - Software / Firmware Update discussion -model 3 section.

Alternatively, I could create a master thread and put a link in it for the place that discussion is supposed to happen (software update forum above) and lock the thread.

Since I am currently not a mod of the software update forum listed above, I cant move posts into appropriate threads there, I could only move them to that forum, which would just clutter that one up more.

I am looking to see if any of you have thoughts on this, as my desire is to consolidate those posts into a single thread, but still allow discussion about it in this section if people want that.

Thoughts?

I think having one thread about each software version in the model 3 forum is fine. I don't like the big combined "2020.44.xxx.xxx type threads - it gets a bit confusing figuring out exactly which version people are talking about. And I think the appropriate place for these is the main model 3 forum, not this "User Interface" subforum, although I don't really have a strong opinion on that.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
So I think that keeping firmware discussions to the firmware forum is a good idea. That said - maybe a sticky link to the Firmware forum, or absent that, a Master thread with a single link to that forum is appropriate.

I don't see the utility of keeping firmware discussions in the Model 3 forum. There's nothing Model 3 specific about the firmware; it's the same version across the entire fleet. Of course there are Model 3 specific functions in that firmware, but that can be discussed in the firmware forum. (Else, why have a firmware forum? Without discussions features there's not much to talk about ...)

The more I think about it, the more I like a master link "Firmware discussions click here - (Current firmware: 202x.yy)" idea. I do agree with @sduck - that master link should probably be in the main Model 3 forum instead of the subforum. Most firmware discussions start there anyway.

But you know what they say about opinions .... they're just like <body part> - we've all got one, and they usually stink.

• Helpful
After considering this feedback, I decided to put a sticky link in the model 3 section that points to the software forum. This post is locked, as it is not for discussion, just informational. There is precedent here already with the acceleration boost upgrade link in the same section, setup similarly. Considering making a similar sticky thread (locked) in this (user interface) section.

Intent would not be to move threads into that location, its more a PSA, and users could point people to it for the proper location for firmware discussion.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 9.44.42 AM.png

• Love
Reactions: sduck and dmurphy
After considering this feedback, I decided to put a sticky link in the model 3 section that points to the software forum. This post is locked, as it is not for discussion, just informational. There is precedent here already with the acceleration boost upgrade link in the same section, setup similarly. Considering making a similar sticky thread (locked) in this (user interface) section.

Intent would not be to move threads into that location, its more a PSA, and users could point people to it for the proper location for firmware discussion.

View attachment 611427

Fantastic! I think that's a nice clean way to handle it. Also good to remind the Model 3 crowd that there's more to TMC than just the Model 3 forum. (I wholly admit doing the same until we picked up our X ....)

Thank you!

• Helpful