Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y support for WPA3 network connection protocol

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to get my Model Y to connect to a Netwerk that is in WPA2/WPA3 mode, but it returns an error “unable to obtain ip address". My guest network is on WPA/WPA2 mode, and the car can connect to that readily. I find it hard to believe that Tesla does not support WPA3, and especially not WPA2/WPA3 protocol mode. Has anyone had any success getting their tesla to connect using WPA3?

Last I checked it doesn’t support PMF Required. I even had trouble with Optional in the past, but at least that works now. WPA3-only networks are a no-go.

I gave the Tesla its own SSID to deal with its unfortunate requirements.

It also strongly prefers to connect @ 2.4GHz to APs with a weak signal on the other side of the house vs. the one literally feet away on the garage ceiling. I can force it to not be stupid by restricting that dedicated SSID to the 5GHz band on the one AP that actually makes sense.

Only our Nintendo Switch has a worse Wi-Fi stack than our MYLR.

Reactions: NotAJeff
Upvote 0
Tested this again just now with 2023.26.9 on a 2023 MYLR. WPA3-PSK (SAE) only based networks are not even found/displayed on the dialog. WPA2-PSK only hotspot connected immediately. WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode is pointless from a security standpoint, as an attacker can utilize the WPA2 security holes in this mode.

Really, really, really disappointed in Tesla's ignoring of this issue. High technology company my left foot...............

Upvote 0
Tested this again just now with 2023.26.9 on a 2023 MYLR. WPA3-PSK (SAE) only based networks are not even found/displayed on the dialog. WPA2-PSK only hotspot connected immediately. WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode is pointless from a security standpoint, as an attacker can utilize the WPA2 security holes in this mode.

Really, really, really disappointed in Tesla's ignoring of this issue. High technology company my left foot...............
Well WPA3 only works if both sides are using Wifi 6 (802.11ax) protocols. Most people still don't have an Wifi 6 router so for a device to only support WPA3 only mode is not wise to have. If you have an Wifi 6E router and set up a 6 GHz SSID, the only security option is WPA3. But I know Tesla does not support 6 GHz wifi in the car.
It makes me think that the wifi chip in the HW3 cars are only a Wifi 5 chip since it only supports WPA/WPA2. I haven't tested it yet but I don't know why the Tesla would not connect to a WPA2/WPA3 network. I don't know if HW4 cars have an updated wifi chip that supports Wifi 6/6E. I would hope that Tesla added Wifi 6E support to be future proof for 6 GHz wifi networks.

• Disagree
Reactions: fhteagle
Upvote 0
Well WPA3 only works if both sides are using Wifi 6 (802.11ax) protocols.

This is incorrect. WPA3 is required for WiFi 6 or 6E, but the reverse is absolutely not true. WPA3 SAE or OWE can absolutely be used over top of 802.11ac or on 5ghz bands. I have equipment that does exactly that for years now.

See GitHub.com/morrownr/USB-WIFI for more details.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am trying to get my Model Y to connect to a Netwerk that is in WPA2/WPA3 mode, but it returns an error “unable to obtain ip address". My guest network is on WPA/WPA2 mode, and the car can connect to that readily. I find it hard to believe that Tesla does not support WPA3, and especially not WPA2/WPA3 protocol mode. Has anyone had any success getting their tesla to connect using WPA3?
The Model Y does not support WPA3 mode at least in HW3 cars. I don't know about HW4 cars. You can check this because when you go to Wifi Settings option and select "Add a new network" it only gives you options of "WEP" and "WPA/WPA2". The wifi chip that Tesla uses doesn't seem to have WPA3 support. In terms of why in WPA2/WPA3 mode doesn't work for you, that is a bit confusing since it should be able to connect to the network via WPA2.

Upvote 0
The wifi chip that Tesla uses doesn't seem to have WPA3 support.

There are many many many devices that can connect in STA mode to WPA3 only networks without OEM hardware or driver support for it. It's simply a matter of using an up to date edition of wpa_supplicant in Linux and Android. Case in point, an 8 year old Intel 7265 that connects quite happily to my WPA3 only network.

This is 100% fixable in software if Tesla would put less than a day of dev time into it.

Upvote 0
There are many many many devices that can connect in STA mode to WPA3 only networks without OEM hardware or driver support for it. It's simply a matter of using an up to date edition of wpa_supplicant in Linux and Android. Case in point, an 8 year old Intel 7265 that connects quite happily to my WPA3 only network.

This is 100% fixable in software if Tesla would put less than a day of dev time into it.
Or you can just set your hotspot to WPA2 or WPA2/WPA3 mode and be done with it. I have a Pixel 7 which has Wifi 6E support and I set my hotspot to WPA2/WPA3 security mode and have no trouble connecting the Tesla to my Pixel 7 hotspot. Sure your solution may work but really the easiest solution is to ensure your phone hotspot security setting is set to support WPA2 or both WPA2 and WPA3. If Tesla wants to implement your solution then fine, but I don't expect it will happen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's out only allowing pure WPA3 (SAE), or WPA2/3 Transitional?

I did some research and it is indeed WPA3 transition mode, although not obvious in the app.

2023-10-01 16.21.38.png

Upvote 0
I did some research and it is indeed WPA3 transition mode, although not obvious in the app.

View attachment 978798
So what does this mean? Under your SSID security settings where you setup your SSID and password, there should be a setting that allows you to choose several options like WPA/WPA2, WPA2 only, WPA2/WPA3, WPA3 only, etc. It just seems like this setting may allow you to use WPA3 if it is compatible.

Upvote 0
Well WPA3 only works if both sides are using Wifi 6 (802.11ax) protocols. Most people still don't have an Wifi 6 router so for a device to only support WPA3 only mode is not wise to have. If you have an Wifi 6E router and set up a 6 GHz SSID, the only security option is WPA3. But I know Tesla does not support 6 GHz wifi in the car.
It makes me think that the wifi chip in the HW3 cars are only a Wifi 5 chip since it only supports WPA/WPA2. I haven't tested it yet but I don't know why the Tesla would not connect to a WPA2/WPA3 network. I don't know if HW4 cars have an updated wifi chip that supports Wifi 6/6E. I would hope that Tesla added Wifi 6E support to be future proof for 6 GHz wifi networks.
There seems to be some conflation of communication protocol and security protocol, which are two entirely separate protocols. The communication protocol, i.e. 802.11.x, is what provides the band with, whereas the security protocol, i.e..WPAx, provides the initial connection protocol and the message encryption; these are mix and match. No one is suggesting that Tesla should support only WPA3, any device can support multiple security protocols and multiple communication protocols, and virtually every wireless device that I have used does. But it is in Tesla‘s best interest to support WPA3 because it is a vastly superior security protocol.

I have configured my main network to be WPA3, but I have my guest network configured with WPA2 and connect my Tesla to that network; guest networks generally have isolation from the main network so that allowing WPA2 connections to my guest network does not jeopardize my main network.

Upvote 0
There seems to be some conflation of communication protocol and security protocol, which are two entirely separate protocols. The communication protocol, i.e. 802.11.x, is what provides the band with, whereas the security protocol, i.e..WPAx, provides the initial connection protocol and the message encryption; these are mix and match. No one is suggesting that Tesla should support only WPA3, any device can support multiple security protocols and multiple communication protocols, and virtually every wireless device that I have used does. But it is in Tesla‘s best interest to support WPA3 because it is a vastly superior security protocol.

I have configured my main network to be WPA3, but I have my guest network configured with WPA2 and connect my Tesla to that network; guest networks generally have isolation from the main network so that allowing WPA2 connections to my guest network does not jeopardize my main network.
I never said that it is not in Teslas best interest to support WPA3 but I am just explaining the reality of what is currently in Tesla cars. Eventually Tesla will provide a wifi chip that supports WPA3 in their cars but as of now in the current 2023 and probably 2024 models it still seems to support up to WPA2 security protocols because even their pull down menus only state up to WPA2 only. I understand the communication protocol is something different. I am an engineer by trade.

I know technically you can support WPA3 in Wifi 5 device adapters but its not common for OEMs to add it at this point when OEMs are focusing on producing Wifi 6/6E and some are focusing on Wifi 7 routers at this point. The argument is not about what is technically possible but rather what is currently implemented in Tesla and that is not debatable.

I feel the same about how Tesla should be adding 5G radio chips instead of just 4G only radio chips into the HW4 cars for Premium Connectivity but it seems like they haven't moved in that direction yet.

Upvote 0