Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Rear Ended. Thoughts on total loss?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aloha, my wife and daughter were rear ended in our Model Y last week. Thankfully they are ok and only have some minor bruises and neck pain. As she approached a red light, a driver behind her was apparently reaching for his phone that fell on the floor. I believe he was probably going 25-35mph and hit them and didn't appear to have even hit the brakes before doing so. I'm curious on opinions if it will be deemed a total loss or not. We live in Maui and the only approved body shops are in Oahu (a different island for those not familiar with Hawai'i). Additionally aside from the physical damage pictured, the car was immobile and sent a notification of failure. When I got to the scene, the screen had more than a dozen alert and error messages. The windows rolled down apparently right after the crash on their own, but we were unable to get them up. It has been raining since and the car is uncovered and we have not had access to the lot where it is so there will be water damage to top it off. I've seen some posts with less damage and some with more and the opinions seem all over the place as well as the insurance company decisions. Our insurance company is Liberty Mutual and supposedly they are estimating the vehicles value along with repair estimates and assuming they will go after the other insurance company of the driver that hit them. I did let them know about the downed windows and recent downpours of rain. Anyways, we are hoping it's a total loss as we know that if they repair it, it will have to be shipped to another island, which is going to be costly since it's immobile, and will take forever to fix, and most likely not fixed right. Any opinions are greatly appreciated! Mahalo!

Tesla Damage 2.jpg
Tesla Damage 1.jpg
Tesla Damage 3.jpg

It's really hard to say from pictures. Did the vehicle go underneath the Tesla? It's not going to be a cheap repair I can say that. True extent of damage hard to say without tearing it down. I would plan to be present when the adjuster comes out to look. Also, ask questions. If it's close they may declare it a total loss.

It's really hard to say from pictures. Did the vehicle go underneath the Tesla? It's not going to be a cheap repair I can say that. True extent of damage hard to say without tearing it down. I would plan to be present when the adjuster comes out to look. Also, ask questions. If it's close they may declare it a total loss.
Thank you for your feedback. The car that hit was a Mazda CX3 and did seem to kind of dig under. That car is totaled for sure. I just fee with the electrical that was damaged to cause the vehicle to fail and be inoperable, on top of the numerous errors and alerts on the screen, it’s gotta be pretty bad. Also the Rear door gaps are off and seems like the body bent downwards making the doors off a bit. Although it’s slight, it still isn’t right and seems like that would be difficult to fix in addition to everything else.

Attachments

• BDD2A7B1-6BBF-4350-BEB2-32A156CD2334.jpeg
    BDD2A7B1-6BBF-4350-BEB2-32A156CD2334.jpeg
    522.4 KB · Views: 286
  • 764ADC70-E40F-472E-A68D-0E08FB5C7BC1.jpeg
    764ADC70-E40F-472E-A68D-0E08FB5C7BC1.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 314
My Model S had a similar rear end collision (not quite this bad).
They replaced rear hatch cover and rear bumper covers as well as some floor parts. (about $10,000)
Your looks more problematic since your R rear quarter panel is involved. (Mine didn't have any quarter panel damage.)

There are Model Ys on coparts with salvage titles that have less damage than you do. I'm going to say it will be close on whether it is totaled or not.
Oh really? Damn I should check. Mine is at a copart yard now. Don’t they take the salvage value and use that combined with the current undamaged pre accident value to determine whether it’s a total loss or not?

Sorry to see the damage. It's hard to say if that would be totaled until someone could open up the trunk area and inspect the damage underneath. If the floor of the rear area is damaged, repair costs would be much higher. Also, I think if the battery is damaged it would probably need to be totaled. My guess is whatever the insurance adjuster's estimate is, it won't be high enough. How much would it cost to ship the car to Oahu and back? I suppose that could factor into the calculations. Hopefully things work out well with your insurance.

Sorry to see the damage. It's hard to say if that would be totaled until someone could open up the trunk area and inspect the damage underneath. If the floor of the rear area is damaged, repair costs would be much higher. Also, I think if the battery is damaged it would probably need to be totaled. My guess is whatever the insurance adjuster's estimate is, it won't be high enough. How much would it cost to ship the car to Oahu and back? I suppose that could factor into the calculations. Hopefully things work out well with your insurance.
It’s about $600 each way to Oahu for a running vehicle. Not sure about one that doesn’t run at all. Imagine at least double. We are hoping it gets totaled. I have seen some say they will pursue a Diminished Value claim, but I’m uncertain if you can file those in Hawaii.

I had half the damage on mines on oahu and it went to unibody in mapunapuna and the estimate to the damage was over $15k. I would imagine yours is exponentially higher. hope you can take the total loss. with all the welding back they did on mines it took 2 months while i drove a rental car courtesy of his insurance. had to go make costco gas runs for the first time in years . good luck bruddah.

Reactions: ultramyp