Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance on TST 19" Wheels from TSportline - Pics Attached

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. First post here. Very happy new first time Tesla owner. Going to do a bit of an introduction story, just skip down the page if you just want to see the new wheels. You may note my username. I had a beautiful 2019 C63 AMG, with some modifications on it, and that sweet beautiful V8 symphony with 680 horsepower on the right foot, and 720+ ft-lbs of torque. The city decided to redo the asphalt late into the night, and not close down the road despite it having been done just shortly after. Long story short, driving completely straight at 33 MPH, the car caught a pool of grease from the fresh asphalt, and rear wheel drive + huge torque = immediate wheelspin. Traction control kicked in but it was too quick and too fast... rear tires broke traction for a brief moment, and threw the car immediately into a 90* turn into the concrete barrier right next to me. All airbags deployed, front end wrecked, rear is fine. Still waiting on insurance, but I'm assuming it's totaled due to the airbags being deployed. Great shame as this was the last of the AMG V8's ever to be produced... but alas.

The search for a new daily driver began. The new house I'm moving into already had a Tesla level 2 charger installed, and after owning my C63 AMG and E46 M3 only (previously before the C63, had an Audi A4 Allroad station wagon) I realized I really needed a car with strong utility and storage space. I have dogs, transport stuff often, and having a sport sedan and sport coupe really weren't an ideal mix for my lifestyle. This plus the insanity cost of gas... the Tesla just made sense. I've always wanted a Tesla, so decided to go for it.

Originally ordered a Model Y LR, in Blue. Only chose the Blue because the paid option scooted up my EDD from December to September. Considering the only car I'd have was my manual E46 M3 that is set up for dual duty track and street use, it wasn't going to be a practical or fun daily to *have* to use in traffic. Thus I needed the car ASAP.
Through reddit, I learned MYP's were being delivered much earlier and prioritized, so I decided to edit my order to a MYP. Got in before price increases. Ordered it in grey which was the color I wanted from the beginning.

Ordered on March 11th. Got a call from Tesla sales offering me a car that a person couldn't take delivery on due to being out of the country. The one condition was I needed to take delivery TOMORROW. Keep in mind this was 6pm. Delivery was set to 12pm the next day. This left me about 4-5 hours to get the financing done on a very expensive car lol. Needless to say I was pretty stressed the night before, as I had a "conditional approval" based on income verification documents I sent in. Woke up at 7am to check, and it was still pending approval. Really really stressed at this point... then boom. 10pm, approved. Went to the bank and grabbed the down payment as a cashiers check, and at 12PM on the dot, the car pulled up and the deal was done. Ordered March 11th, delivered on March 27th.

All this out of the way. Yes, it's stiff. Keep in mind I'm coming from a German sports sedan (to be fair, with adjustable suspension, but stiff nonetheless) and a dual duty track/street car that is quite low to the ground. And this car is much more rough on the road than either of them. I attributed this to the low profile tires, as many have noted.

I thus decided to go for a set of 19" TST wheels from TSportline in Brilliant Silver as I like silver wheels on basically all my cars, no matter the color. I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's, which is a 255/45/19. I still find them to be a bit stretched, so will probably go for 265/45/19's in the future for a more flat sidewall. Bluetooth TPMS were already pre-installed.

The wheels are indeed a "brilliant" silver. Very very nice, very high quality flow forged wheels which I'm very familiar with as I have several sets of flow forged wheels for track use for the M3.

I also purchased the Tesla silver cap inserts, as well as the lug nut caps. Also purchased the jack point mounts.

Easy job as I'm well accustomed to doing my own work, so a quick wheel swap was easy and fast.

I love the new contrast, thicker sidewall, and wow; huge difference on weight. 26.95lb's for the TST's, 38.05lb's (front), 38.95lb's (rears) for the Uberturbines. 107lb's vs 154lb's in unsprung mass.

Have done only a bit of driving, and haven't done my usual commute on them yet as I just installed them tonight, but yeah, the difference is the real deal. Much better ride quality, its very obvious. I would say I have a pretty sensitive feel, and can confidently say the car absorbs minor imperfections in the road much better, and generally feels a lot softer. Will be interesting to see how it behaves at high cornering speeds, as well as if there is any noticeable range increase. I don't expect a big increase, but I do expect some increase due to the big drop in unsprung mass and change in wheel height.

Obviously I can also rotate the tires now. I set cold tire pressures to 40 PSI all the way around the car.

Anyways, onto the fun part. The photos. Sorry for the difference in lighting, I'll post more photos in the day time later at a better angle. Lost the light and was in a tight space.

Uberturbine 21's
IMG_8213.JPG

IMG_8214.JPG

TST 19" in Brilliant Silver.
IMG_8216.JPG
IMG_8220.JPG

FYI the Uberturbines are for sale, without a scratch, and about 100 miles on them. SoCal.

Interesting choice going from 21 to 19 and also the color choice. Maybe it's just the angle of the pictures or the lighting, but the silver seems to ruin the look of the car. Black or gunmetal seems to go better with the MSM color scheme, but it's your car and whatever makes you happy.
Personally I love silver wheels and I thought it really broke up the monochromatic color scheme of the car. I was also worried it would make the wheel wells look really empty and weird, but in the flesh they actually look fine to my eyes.

Basically a "stealth" P like they used to sell.

Reactions: Freshness
Would like to see more pics but from these pics, it looks good! Whats more important than wheel diameter is offset. A 21" sunken wheel/offset will look a lot worse than a smaller 19" wheel that sits flush

Personally I love silver wheels and I thought it really broke up the monochromatic color scheme of the car. I was also worried it would make the wheel wells look really empty and weird, but in the flesh they actually look fine to my eyes.

Basically a "stealth" P like they used to sell.

I wouldn’t listen to this guy. Just cause everyone has grey or black wheels doesn’t make it cool.

I like the silver because it’s different and unique.

There’s too many copycats on the Tesla forums, it’s nice to see something different.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I wouldn’t listen to this guy. Just cause everyone has grey or black wheels doesn’t make it cool.

I like the silver because it’s different and unique.

There’s too many copycats on the Tesla forums, it’s nice to see something different.
Just cause everyone has grey or black wheels doesn’t make it cool. What is this, middle school in the 90s? I don't think people are choosing wheel colors to be cool.

The majority run black wheels, but that doesn't mean silver is unique. If they were purple or pink, that would be unique.

Reactions: MD048
Sheesh, they're just wheels! Why did this thread get so nasty? Jeez lol.

Anyway here's an updated photo from a broad angle.

I love them. The ride 100% is WAY better, no doubt about it now after a few days of driving. It's not even close.

And yes, I love the silver. I don't think the wheel gap is excessive, I love the thick sidewall look as well, and again.. the ride. Wow. Big amounts of unsprung mass removed, check. Less curb prone wheels, check. Much MUCH better ride, check. Silver wheels which I love, check.

Couldn't be happier.

IMG_8270.jpg

Sheesh, they're just wheels! Why did this thread get so nasty? Jeez lol.

Anyway here's an updated photo from a broad angle.

I love them. The ride 100% is WAY better, no doubt about it now after a few days of driving. It's not even close.

And yes, I love the silver. I don't think the wheel gap is excessive, I love the thick sidewall look as well, and again.. the ride. Wow. Big amounts of unsprung mass removed, check. Less curb prone wheels, check. Much MUCH better ride, check. Silver wheels which I love, check.

Couldn't be happier.
I actually have a MY Performance due to be delivered next month and I am considering having the the Uberturbine Wheels painted silver.

I was looking on the forum to see if anyone has done it. The design is great but does not stand out in the dark color. I am not really into the current obsession with black wheels. Black trim is fine, but wheels need to stand out and I find black makes them almost invisible.

Reactions: Graham J
Looks are subjective.
Personally I *hate* the black / dark gray wheel trend, there is no contrast with the black tyre.
I think those wheels look 100% better, both in terms of color and the spoke design.

But like I say, looks are subjective.
All that matters is what the owner thinks but thanks for posting the pics so we know what options are out there.

Reactions: RIPmyAMG
I actually have a MY Performance due to be delivered next month and I am considering having the the Uberturbine Wheels painted silver.

I was looking on the forum to see if anyone has done it. The design is great but does not stand out in the dark color. I am not really into the current obsession with black wheels. Black trim is fine, but wheels need to stand out and I find black makes them almost invisible.
You should be able to find someone to powdercoat the Uberturbines to a finish of your liking.

In my area (Seattle ish), Les Schwabb was the most convenient and straightforward option for a set of Gemini's I had done. It was roughly $600 with them taking care of tire dismount and remount/balance.. Most of the powdercoating places wanted bare wheels only, Schwabb was a one-stop option and the least expensive. They weren't particularly fast in terms of turnaround time but my MYP was still projected to be weeks out (turned out to be months!) so was in no hurry.

You should be able to find someone to powdercoat the Uberturbines to a finish of your liking.

In my area (Seattle ish), Les Schwabb was the most convenient and straightforward option for a set of Gemini's I had done. It was roughly $600 with them taking care of tire dismount and remount/balance.. Most of the powdercoating places wanted bare wheels only, Schwabb was a one-stop option and the least expensive. They weren't particularly fast in terms of turnaround time but my MYP was still projected to be weeks out (turned out to be months!) so was in no hurry.
Thanks. I have a shop local (NJ) that does paint and powder coat. They repaired/painted a few wheels for curb rash on my just sold Model 3 for $120 each. Matched the original color perfectly.

What would be the advantage of powered coat? My main concern for protection is curb rash and I don't think powder coat will make a difference. I don't get brake dust on my wheels (regen) so I don't think there is much that would degrade a paint finish if the wheels are reasonably taken care.

I do plan to change the Uberturbines color to the old Tesla silver wheel color on my MY P when it arrives. I will post a picture when it is done. Delivery is hopefully sometime in May.

Thanks. I have a shop local (NJ) that does paint and powder coat. They repaired/painted a few wheels for curb rash on my just sold Model 3 for $120 each. Matched the original color perfectly.

What would be the advantage of powered coat? My main concern for protection is curb rash and I don't think powder coat will make a difference. I don't get brake dust on my wheels (regen) so I don't think there is much that would degrade a paint finish if the wheels are reasonably taken care.

I do plan to change the Uberturbines color to the old Tesla silver wheel color on my MY P when it arrives. I will post a picture when it is done. Delivery is hopefully sometime in May.
Not going to do a thing for curb rash. You'll want to downsize the wheel and widen the tire to give some buffer, that's what a lot of people do anyhow. Or just figure that the wheels will get rashed, and you'll have to keep repairing or live with the aesthetics.

Looks great. How is the OD from your original tire versus the OD of the new tire? New tires 'look' a little smaller, don't quite fill the wheel well as much?

I have an MYP on order, and I feel I very much want to do a similar mod and get rid of the 21"s...

Just my $.02, which in most respects is more about Tesla's design decisions than the OP's wheel choices. Bottom line: I dislike the non-optional chrome delete, in part because it removes a potentially matching design cue for silver wheels. When I had my S, I loved the match between the chrome and the wheels. Now that the chrome is gone, I'm probably going to replace my OEM 19-in wheels with the TST wheels in black when my M3LR arrives.

On a related note, I never thought a door handle color would almost determine my car color choice. But, to me, the black handles look like they belong on a less expensive car on most of the colors, the sole exceptions being black or MSM. Looking across some of the cheapest cars on Earth, the manufacturer manages to match the handles to the car. So, I'll be getting a black car and probably black wheels (in large part) because of the black handles. (There, I said it!)

But, if the silver wheels make the OP happy, congrats!

PS. I did look for aftermarket "covers" for the door handles that would match the body color, but nobody seemed to sell any that people didn't have complaints about.

Lovely ride OP. Silver-wheeled Model Y's unite!

I'm across the pond, and had fully intended to powder coat the gemini's immediately, but they're growing on me more especially given the prevalence of dark wheels. I think I'll run a set of anthracite turbine replicas or something else in the winter, and keep these nice for milder months.

240422.jpg