Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance on 19" Gemini - rear lower than front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking about getting a Model Y performance and swapping the tires to 19" gemini, but I'm concerned a square setup will make the rear lower than the front.

From the owner's manual, the ride height is 167mm front and 166mm rear. That's with the 21" staggered tires, which have different tire heights - 28.58" rear and 28.02" front. So with a square setup, the rear will be lowered by (28.58" - 28.02") / 2, which is 7mm - making it 167mm front and 159mm rear.

It seems like the suspension was designed for the staggered tires, and car will be angled backwards with a square setup. I'm not sure what this will cause, but I'm worried it can affect things like aerodynamics, weight imbalance or something else.

I was hoping for a MYP, but if I want a 19" gemini setup, is it better to go with MYLR? Thanks

The measurements aren't taken from the axles, but between the axles, roughly where the jacking points are. Its shown in the picture just below the numbers in the manual.

Just from eyeballing that picture, I'd say the "rear" drop is more like 5-6 mm... but additionally, it'll affect the front measurement too, making that drop probably 1-2 mm.

So, it's more like front will be 165-166mm and rear will be 161-162 mm.

That being said, the car technically is already "angled backward" since front is measured higher than the rear.

I don't know if that 1, 4 or even 7 mm difference is enough to really matter though. That is, unless you plan on taking it to the track. But if that were the case, I would think anyone tracking would already know enough to figure out how it affects them.

Whether or not to get an MYP or MYLR really depends on you. Honestly, even if you drive spiritedly to enjoy the MYP, the MYLR isn't a slouch. I still have my 2010 Honda Fit, with all of 112 hp (granted I supercharged it, so its more like 140-150). But even the "slower" MYLR would beat the pants of my Fit.

I have the MYP and I did buy 19" wheels to use for a while. I switched back to the 21" after getting a flat on the 19s. But having thought about it all, I'm starting to think the 19s were a waste. Because of its taller sidewall, it has more room to flex sideways, which makes me feel a "wobble" during turning. Between the additional cushioning from the tire and less chance of curbing the wheels, I've found no appreciable "comfort" from it and realized, I'm also not as scared of curbing the wheels as I thought (as seen by the fact I curbed my Uberturbines AGAIN last week).

I got the MYP because I wanted something on the sporty side and the track mode software. To me, putting on the 19" wheels partially defeats that purpose.

So, to me (again), it doesn't really make that much sense for a person to want a sporty car and then claim its uncomfortable or be worried about damaging the wheels. Because at that point, the person doesn't really want a sporty car anymore.

What is it, you REALLY want?

Reactions: Noflash
Thanks for the details, that's great.

Here's what I'm currently deciding between:
a) MYP + 19" gemini
b) MYLR + acceleration boost + carbon spoiler from Tesla's site

I'd like to have a sporty car that's still comfortable to ride. I've read the 2023 MYLR suspension is slightly more comfortable than 2023 MYP, but also slightly more bouncy and body roll, see example. The MYP has lowered suspension, which should give it a more grounded stance. So I felt like 19" wheels are a good middleground for me. 19" can also look pretty nice.

I'm not planning to take it tracking, but I thought it'd be cool to have performance anyway, since most people have MYLR. However if I have to stick with 21" wheels on MYP, I'd prefer to go with MYLR.

My main concern is replacing the MYP with 19" wheels, since I wasn't sure if the change in angle might cause driving or mechanical issues.

My suggestion to you is to go rent, or borrow if you know someone, each of them (stock, same year and tire pressure) and drive them for a day or two to see how they feel. Maybe you’ll decided to stick with 21s.

There are a couple of posts by people complaining about the comfort, not noticing it during test drive.

As for mechanical issues… I would think it’s fine, since the car has a setting for you to swap between all three wheel options Tesla sells the Model Ys with.

I picked up my ‘22 MYP June ’22. Put 5k miles on the 21” Uberturbine/Pirelli then switched to 19” Gemini/Conti (from Craigslist, was told they had 5k miles on them). I immediately noticed how much smoother the ride was, especially on the small bumps and ruts common on the back roads. After 10 k miles on the 19” (yes, I know, I was supposed to rotate them), I put the 21s back on. Much to my surprise, all those jarring bumps I was expecting were much less than I remembered. Yes, there is still a noticeable difference, but not the night and day difference I felt from when I initially put on the 19s. Am I just more acclimated to the ride characteristics of the car, or did the additional 10 k miles soften up the suspension? Anyone else notice something similar?

Anyway, I still plan to return to the 19s soon. With the tighter steering response on the 21s, I noticed I’m starting to drive like the idiots I silently swear at while driving. Fun for a little summertime driving, though. The Contis still have between 5 and 7/32, so I’ll get a little more dry summer driving out of them, then I’ll put the 21s back on to have the Geminis powder coated to match the MSM of the car, and put on some new winter-ready tires, probably Vredestein Quatrac Pro. That will probably be my year-round setup, unless someday I go to the track.

After driving a '23 MY LR with inductions for a week and actually owning a '23 MYP, I personally prefer the P. The bumpier ride isn't that bad and I drive around the worst roads in San Francisco daily. Sure, I do wish the ride wasn't as jarring, but it's not so bad that I would rather get a LR + AB + Inductions. I don't regret getting the P at all.

When you're due for tires, you can always install 40 series tires as some members have on theirs.

But if you really insist on staying with the 19s, then I would just get the LR. Buy the AB later if you feel you need acceleration. Most are fine w/o it tho.

I swapped out my 21’s for 19” Martian Wheels and for me personally it was a night and day difference. I also run 275/40/19 squared so that could have some impact on my driving dynamics.

When they were swapped I thought I noticed the front ever so slightly higher then the back. (3rd party coilovers can fix this) I knew I wasn’t going crazy.

I haven’t noticed a range impact. If anything I get far better range from the 19” tires seeing they’re far lighter then the OEM 21’s even with the 10mm additional tread contact with the ground. I do think I notice when I’m spirited driving I can feel the car pull up more because of the offset mentioned earlier regarding the front being higher. But I truly cannot confirm that is the case and could be in my head.

I think there is sooo much that goes into how the vehicle feels and is subjective to the end-use driving. Searching here should give you an excellent picture of what you can/should do to make you happy!

Photos attached to help you!

Good-luck On your decision!

Attachments

• IMG_4648.jpeg
    IMG_4648.jpeg
    465.6 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_4647.jpeg
    IMG_4647.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 212
Thanks for the details, that's great.

Here's what I'm currently deciding between:
a) MYP + 19" gemini
b) MYLR + acceleration boost + carbon spoiler from Tesla's site

I'd like to have a sporty car that's still comfortable to ride. I've read the 2023 MYLR suspension is slightly more comfortable than 2023 MYP, but also slightly more bouncy and body roll, see example. The MYP has lowered suspension, which should give it a more grounded stance. So I felt like 19" wheels are a good middleground for me. 19" can also look pretty nice.

I'm not planning to take it tracking, but I thought it'd be cool to have performance anyway, since most people have MYLR. However if I have to stick with 21" wheels on MYP, I'd prefer to go with MYLR.

My main concern is replacing the MYP with 19" wheels, since I wasn't sure if the change in angle might cause driving or mechanical issues.

You can also purchase LR suspension and swap to the performance. $900 or so for all four corners and rear springs. Also swap to 40 series tires for the 21. I’m at discount tire right now doing that.

Thanks for the details folks, really helpful 😃 I decided to go with MYP and try out 21", and maybe switch to 19" after that. I think the change in car angle is negligible and not really a concern, and I'm not planning to take it tracking or anything crazy. Nice to hear others are happy with their 19s, also good point about swapping to LR suspension, I probably won't do that but cool idea.