Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y number of charge cycles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been researching trading up from a 2020 Forester to the Model Y over the past few months, and with the recent price drop on the Model Y, this has significantly tipped the scales in favour of "now" rather than "soon-ish". Being in NSW, it effectively gives me a $6,500 discount because the Model Y with 19" and white interior now qualifies for the $3000 cash back. Looking at the RWD, not performance or long range - they're out of budget.

One reason I've been keen on swapping to an EV is that once a week, I need to do a 350-400km round trip (sometimes twice a week), so my annual drive is around 25,000 - 30,000km. I know that means the likelihood of popping some extra charge in it at the destination to have a comfortable reserve to get home with, and there is a Tesla supercharger within 3 minutes of the destination, and a 20 minute stop-over to charge is well within the schedule of how I currently do this trip anyway (it simply means my breakfast stop-over is in a different place).

The Forester has 95,000km on it after nearly 3 years.

This brings up the biggest question I can't seem to find an answer to (or I'm not looking in the right place).

If I'm doing 500-600km a week, and I supercharge once a week, and probably 2 more charges at home on AC (11kW) charging (once on return from this trip, and assume another after some other minor local driving to top up before that weekly trip), how long can I expect the battery to last? How many charges can it take, and how many kilometres am I likely to get out of this car?

Many thanks if anyone can shed some light on this, it would be hugely appreciated!

I wish I had a more concrete answer, and maybe someone on this forum does, but the battery chemistries Tesla uses are known to easily get over 1,000 charge cycles and likely get several thousand.

I think you might have a really good use case for an EV and the Model Y is a great EV.

Reactions: Midnight Man
I've been researching trading up from a 2020 Forester to the Model Y over the past few months, and with the recent price drop on the Model Y, this has significantly tipped the scales in favour of "now" rather than "soon-ish". Being in NSW, it effectively gives me a $6,500 discount because the Model Y with 19" and white interior now qualifies for the $3000 cash back. Looking at the RWD, not performance or long range - they're out of budget.

One reason I've been keen on swapping to an EV is that once a week, I need to do a 350-400km round trip (sometimes twice a week), so my annual drive is around 25,000 - 30,000km. I know that means the likelihood of popping some extra charge in it at the destination to have a comfortable reserve to get home with, and there is a Tesla supercharger within 3 minutes of the destination, and a 20 minute stop-over to charge is well within the schedule of how I currently do this trip anyway (it simply means my breakfast stop-over is in a different place).

This brings up the biggest question I can't seem to find an answer to (or I'm not looking in the right place).

If I'm doing 500-600km a week, and I supercharge once a week, and probably 2 more charges at home on AC (11kW) charging (once on return from this trip, and assume another after some other minor local driving to top up before that weekly trip), how long can I expect the battery to last? How many charges can it take, and how many kilometres am I likely to get out of this car?

Many thanks if anyone can shed some light on this, it would be hugely appreciated!
There’s a model S in NSW with 2015 technology batteries that’s well past 600,000kms, a modern model Y battery pack with moderate care should equal that without too much drama.

you will get at least the km described in the warranty, with the amount of degredation noted. I understand the charging method does not impact warranty

FWIW I have 2017 S with 200,000+ km which has worked hard in regional NSW and with much unavoidable supercharging. Battery capacity is fine. Only noticeable change is apparent supercharger rate limiting which is not huge problem. May be actively protecting the battery.

If you are getting the standard range, then its most like an LFP battery which lasts a couple thousand or more cycles easily. Lots of examples of high mileage Teslas with significant Supercharging events and they only lost a couple % more degradation than someone who only AC charges it (example below). That is also with the NCA battery which is less robust than the LFPs.

One thing to note is that batteries degrade just by aging and aging may be the biggest factor in battery degradation vs cycles (or miles). Which means you won't have any issues with the car at all and can probably last hundreds of thousands of kilometers. Good luck.

@PC__LoadLetter has been driving Uber in his SR+ since 2019, and it sounds like he tends to do several DC fast charges every week as part of that - from what he's said his battery is still going strong.
I'm on charge 1679 on 228,757km & going strong.

@Midnight Man Here's last Saturday (see 4 attached screenshots) if you want to see a realistic % usage between charges on different kinds of roads, and my best practice for long trips far from home. Well, except for the bit where I arrive at Sutton Forest on 3% after my last uber drop off on Jamberoo Mountain (right near where the road was blocked - ugh). This is in a Model that doesn’t have the heat pump that'll boost your car's performance, especially in cold temperatures. I have to run cabin heat off the battery. I can still get around 250km of freeway driving 90-10%, if i drive gently (LOL). In mild weather, 100% of my tiny 50kWh battery pack would just get me from CBR to SYD, but it'd never get me back non-stop, as it's uphill. Ubering around suburbia I think in terms of % per hour. My inefficient 3 uses 10%/hr in low-speed inner city Sydney, 12%/hr in the shire or the insular peninsula or similar suburbia, 15%/hr in Wollongong, or 20%/hr in high-speed Canberra.

Between the bigger battery pack, the heat pump, and other advancements, you'll get way better real-world range in a current Y than I ever would have had in my 3, but even my 3 could meet your needs.

One thing: don't think in terms of charges per week. Think in terms of leaving it plugged in when you're at home, even if it's a 10 amp GPO like I use (though preferably a GPO on a circuit you don’t simultaneously run a kettle or 4-slice toaster on!). If the car wants power, let it have power. That's what will preserve its life. Pic related:
20230703_101354.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230702_111214_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230702_111214_Chrome.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Screenshot_20230702_111236_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230702_111236_Chrome.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20230702_111249_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230702_111249_Chrome.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20230702_111314_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230702_111314_Chrome.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
4 months into owning a model y rwd, just ticked over 18000 klms, still says 432km rated range at 100% charge was 435km, According to the scan my tesla I just ticked over 60 charge cycles, and I don't think it's even settled in yet. I believe the rated range is 429km

Long term no idea, I just worked on 30% degradation and I can still do all my round trips required without charging. I do believe the LFP is more robust long term.

@PC__LoadLetter - thank you for all the data - may I please ask, what app you have that keeps a record of your trips and charges etc? I can see that being incredibly useful, and I'd like to get something like that set up before I even start using the vehicle!
That's TeslaFi. Giving third-party apps access to scrape your data requires a slightly weird token URL trick, but usually only once. And some of the data is shows is meaningless and/or wrong, like charging costs and savings at third-party charging stations. But yeah, it can be fascinating.

It.doesnt even cause that many divorces!

Most Li batteries will lose a few % of capacity in the first 20,000km, then settle down for a very slow loss for the rest of their lives. My S90D has lost about 5% of capacity during my ownership (that's from 20,000 to 120,000 km)

Source of all this is forgotten now, but this page is probably it, and in particular this curve which is gathered from a large number of data points on Teslas.

If you keep a tripmeter for “Lifetime“ then you have a record of the lifetime energy consumption of your car. And from there it’s easy to estimate the number of charge cycles your car has been through. Divide the lifetime energy consumption by the capacity of your battery, and that’s the number of charge cycles you’ve had.

If you keep a tripmeter for “Lifetime“ then you have a record of the lifetime energy consumption of your car. And from there it’s easy to estimate the number of charge cycles your car has been through. Divide the lifetime energy consumption by the capacity of your battery, and that’s the number of charge cycles you’ve had.
This is a perfectly valid way to do it. Also, if you have Scan My Tesla (phone app, requires OBD2 dongle), there is a field for number of battery cycles as calculated by the car's own Battery Management System (BMS).

This is a perfectly valid way to do it. Also, if you have Scan My Tesla (phone app, requires OBD2 dongle), there is a field for number of battery cycles as calculated by the car's own Battery Management System (BMS).
Yes, Scan My Tesla will give you an accurate message of the relative number of battery cycles. The Lifetime trip method will only include battery usage during actual drives. Standby or vampire drain will not be counted. If you are a regular sentry mode user this could be significant. I only used sentry for the first couple of months and have both the Lifetime trip counter set and run Scan My Tesla. After 24000 odd kms I will try and do a comparison to see how close they are. I think from memory there is also a standby kWh counter also.

Reactions: Vostok